1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media codes? CMC MAG? What are they?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by malfnkton, Jul 15, 2006.

1. malfnkton

malfnkton Member

Hi Folks!

Right as a n00b i have a couple of questions regarding the above topic.
    I have done a search of the forums and i have a couple of questions.

What are the media codes and what do they mean?

How do you find out the codes for the media you are using? (can it be done by 'testing' a blank disc on some software or does the disc have to contain data?)

Also what is CMC MAG and why is it so bad?

I was burning onto some cheap HP DVD-r 8x discs that i got but am now using Verbatim photo printable DVD-r 16x.

How can i tell the difference between these disks i.e which is better?

Cheers

MalfunKtion

p.s my r220 printer will be with me on monday! looking forward to a whole new burning/printing experience! :)

2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Media codes, a code identifying the type of and who makes that particular disk.
    Dogbomb's quite excellent list of Media Codes.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431
    How to find DVD Media codes, if you are using Nero, look in the tool box section, CD/DVD Speed will list the manufacturer and the type of disk,[​IMG] Also DVDInfo will show you as well, [​IMG]
    Or, DVD decrypter will show the same info when you load a disk in. [​IMG]
    both programs are located at www.filehippo.com, a good place to download various freeware,trial and demo programs, worth a look.

CMC MAG disks are notorious for being lousy, will burn fine at first, then tend to fade after a while and will be unplayable unreadable after a short while. The difference between CMC MAG and Verbatim is akin to asking what the difference between a Yugo automobile and a Lexus, 'nuff said. Wait a year and compare the quality of both disks.
    I hope that this helps, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Welcome to AD by the way.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  3. malfnkton

malfnkton Member

Cheers for the info on how to find out the codes- i have nero so will have a look at doing it myself.

i had already looked at dogbomb's thread but it didnt really make much sense to me. Once you identify the code (i.e manufacturer) is it just a case of knowing which manufacturers are better than others?

One other thing (so many questions!)- are CMC MAG a make of disk then such as verbatim etc- i read something on another thread that mentioned the dye that was used- is this what makes them bad?

thanks for the help and the welcome!

MalfunKtion

4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

CMC MAG are CMC Magnetics Corporation, just simply a company which mass produces lots of media, unfortunately most of it has the reputation of being bad. I'm not a chemist so I can't answer if it is the dye being bad or just the entire process of how they make the disk. My personal recommendations, stick with Verbatim, Taiyo-Yuden, Ritek or RICOH-JPN as the 4 types which have not let me down. Taiyo Yuden AKA TY, are hard to find due to the fact that most of them found in Brick and Mortar stores are rebranded, example Sony uses Taiyo Yuden for some of its disks,
    this link is long but very imformative, http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/296925

5. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

CMC is middle of the road. Mine usually tested out around 70-80 quality wise. Never once did a CMC I burned fail to complete or fail to play. I also have some that are push 4 years old that still work, so don't believe that all CMC "self destruct" in 6 mo. YMMV, but it is possible to get decent burns, and very high success rate using their discs.
    I don't suggest using them though. Places like Rima or Supermediastore have the good stuff like TY and Verb (with free shipping) for nearly the same price as cheapo CMC from wal-mart. Sometimes the price is a bit higher per disc, but really the quality difference is worth it. TY discs test out in the low to higher 90's burned on my rig, and they also never fail. Jump on a sale from these guys and buy 2-3 hundred when the price is right. You will not be disappointed.

6. Memnock

Memnock Active member

KHypermedia CMC MAG media used to work great for me DVD backups and PS2 games, but the place I bought them from stopped selling them.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Another great free app for identifying your media is dvd identifier http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ BTW most verbatim media is made by mitsubishi chemical company and is the best taiwan made media available. Comparable to taiyo yuden.

8. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

I agree with Jigen,

I prefer TY (I use 8X DVD+R) over the cheap stuff... IMO it is simply worth the couple extra pennies. I buy mine from www.supermediastore.com and I pay ~$40 for 100 discs. $.40 per disc is not bad at all, when you consider you will give more then that in most cases for junk media.

9. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

CMC makes the Verbatim discs from Taiwan. MKK azo-cyanine dye is used for both Verbatim discs and other CMC-manufactured discs, but not all of the discs CMC makes. Often those who swear by Verbatim swear at CMC. There is much more to the story than "CMC is bad; Verbatim is good"--but too many people have already made up their minds to hear more.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

CMC may make verbatim discs but they use verbatims (mitsubishi chemical company) blueprints and materials. Can't say the same for media that codes out as CMC MAG. I've tried CMC MAGS and although they will burn successfully most of the time, their dye is inferior and their longivity in most cases is poor.

They may use the same dye as verbatims for some of their media but personally for me it is not worth the gamble especially when verbatims can be had for the same price (little more in some cases, little less in some cases). Verbatims never let me down. CMC MAGs do.

Joe if you are comfortable using cmc mags that is your prerogative but for a vast majority of ppl, they will have better performance and results with mcc coded verbatim media than they will with cmc mag coded media.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  11. malfnkton

malfnkton Member

all that you guys have said is really interesting.

From what i can gather CMC mag corps make (some) of the disks for verbatim however they make their disks to a higher specification and testing procedure than just the standard ones that they label CMC.

Is that right? am i getting the general idea here?

Is it comparable to Gibson guitars where by 'Gibsons' are made in the U.S.A to a high standard but Epiphone (made by gibson) are produced under a different name in mexico (or somewhere) with less of the testing and quality control standards in place?

(obviously i realise that this is not a direct comparison but i am just trying to illustrate a point! :) )

MalfunKtion

12. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

here is a media guide..... I know..... many membes say that this guide isn't up to snuff, but if anyone can come up with a better guide let me know:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

according to the media guide..... MCC is the best (Verbatim, Maxel are made by them)

then comes Taiyo Yuden..... will I prefer Taiyo Yuden more than MCC but I'd burn both with no problem.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then Sony and then TDK..... I disagree with this rating but what the hell... it's a guide line. For my backups only Taiyo Yuden then Verbatim! Use what works for you. Keep in mind you want to have your backups for a long time so I use the better disks and it's not that much more of an expense to have something that's better and will last longer!

CMC Mag is just crappy media....... I am lucky I don't have them..... my Memorex is RICOHJN not CMC MAG! Thank G-d for that!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  13. Jasper44

Jasper44 Regular member

CMC makes dvd's then HP, Memorex, etc slap their name on them and sell them. All CMC mag suck equally, they don't change their specifications for each brand label. CMC doesn't make Verbatim or TY DVD's, they make them themselves.

14. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Verbatim DataLife DVD+R 2.4x (CMC MAG.R01)
    Verbatim DataLife DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
    Verbatim DataLife DVD-R 2x (CMC MAG. AF1)
    Verbatim DataLife DVD-R 2x (CMC MAG.AF01)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 12x (MCC.....003)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 4x (MCC.....002)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 4x Pastel (YUDEN000-T01-000)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 8x (MCC.....003)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 8x Advanced AZO (MCC.....003)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 8x Printable (MCC 003)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+RW 2.4x (MCC.....A01)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R 4x (MCC 01RG20)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R 4x (TYG01.......)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R 8x Advanced AZO (MCC02RG20)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-RW 1x (MCC 00RW11N9)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-RW 2x (MCC 01RW11n9)
    Verbatim DataLifePlus SERL DVD+RW 4x (MKM A02)
    Verbatim DigitalMovie DVD-R 4x (MCC 01RG20)
    Verbatim DVD+R 2.4x (MCC 001)
    Verbatim DVD+R 4x (MCC 002)
    Verbatim DVD+R 4x Digital Movie (MCC 002)
    Verbatim DVD+RW 4x (MKM A02)
    Verbatim DVD-R (CMC MAG.)
    Verbatim DVD-R 2x (MCC00RG20)
    Verbatim DVD-R 4x (MCC01RG20)
    Verbatim DVD-R 8x Photo Printable (MCC 02RG20)
    Verbatim DVD-R Scratch-Resistent (CMC MAG.)
    Verbatim DVD-RW 2x (MCC 01RW11n9)
    Verbatim DVD-RW 2x (MCC01RW11)
    Verbatim DVD-RW 4x (MCC 01RW4X)

notice all the CMC MAGs are from old media...... now Verbatim is made by Mitsubishi Chemical (MCC) or Taiyo Yuden! Verbatim made in Singapore/Taiwan is MCC, and the Made IN Japan ones are from Taiyo Yuden! the Verbatim LightScribe 16x media is MCC..... Verbatim DL media is RICOHJPN!

What I'm trying to get at is that Verbatim has no CMC MAGs anymore. they are top notch media now! here's a media guide that shows you:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

15. spiesfan

spiesfan Regular member

be aware that MCC is the only producer used by verbatum in the united states

16. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

MCC are Singapore/Taiwan....... and Verbatim also have from Taiyo Yuden .... MIJ!

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

IHoe,

Sorry my friend but Verbatim DL media will code out as Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (MKM) not Ricohjpn.

18. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I stand corrected....... I haven't looked at mine in a long time as I only bought them once..... and I thought I remembered them as RICOHJPN........ thank you for correcting me...... don't want anyone to get the wrong Info and I'll remember to look it up next time! sorry!

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

No problem IHoe. Set back down. We just don't want to get inaccurate info floating around. I'm not 100% sure but I think the ritek and memorex DL media may be ricohjpn (I could be wrong) and can be pretty particular on which drives they are compatable with. Most have had much better results and compatability with the verbatim (MKM) DL media.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  20. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

and that's the main thing......compatability! I know Verbatim is the best DL you can get.... unless they are making Taiyo Yuden DLs..... which I haven't seen yet! I can dream can't I? LOL