1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media codes? CMC MAG? What are they?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by malfnkton, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I prefer verbatim media even over TY's. Usually cheaper (less money) and I never have any playback problems with them. I have had occassionally with TY's. I seriously doubt that if TY did make DL media they would be any better than the verbs. Verbatim was 1st to develope DL media and they have it down to a science.

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

maybe that's why Taiyo Yuden hasn't made a DL disk yet..... but, as far as it goes.... I like Taiyo Yuden. I haven't had any trouble with their disks at all.... just my preferance..... but I do have Verbatims and I will buy my next printable spindle Verbatims just to see how they burn and to see how they print! then I'll make up my mind which is best for me. I'm waiting for my BenQ to come back from Meritline.com...... about 2 weeks.

3. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@mort81

actually, you hit the nail right on the head...and as for Benq drives, i DO NOT recommend either or for the dvd+R DL media~ :) Verbatim dvd+r DLs have been the only "sure-fire" DLs to use...for the Ritek (Ridata branded) or the Memorex, or Imation, or Maxell, or TDK as well as the Fujifilm dvd+r DLs, they will be RicohJPNR00 coded OR they will be RitekD01 coded (on a few of the above mentioned "brands"- Ridata, Dynex, and Memorex primarily) ~ :) i've used both and can safely say they are about the same in terms of quality on my various drives...however, you WILL hear a LOT of "RitekD01" bashing around here as well as cdfreaks, many people have issues with them on all sorts of diff. drive/burners, but that is a quality issue w/ Ritek, not a compatibility issue with the burners (other than Benq, which they are very POOR on if you can even get a successful burn out of them) :)

so, bottom line on dvd+r DLs, stick w/ Verbatim as they are in MY EYES, the very best the market has to offer at this point, i've had plenty of success (about 200+ now w/ either the RitekD01 or RicohJPNR00 coded DLs under various "brand" names), but even personally, i've had more "coasters" using those than i have with Verbatim MKM coded DLs as in my sig...i would like to point out i HAVE had a 10-pack spindle of Verbatims that produced 8 coasters, this was definitely a "Defective batch" i had purchased and it is already on it's way back to Verbatim for a direct replacement~ :)

EVERY manufacturer has it's fair share of "bad batches" nobody is immune, whether it be Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, or even...cough cough...CMC Magnetics~ LOL :) good day to you my friend~

docTY

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From what i can gather CMC mag corps make (some) of the disks for verbatim however they make their disks to a higher specification and testing procedure than just the standard ones that they label CMC.

Is that right? am i getting the general idea here?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CMC makes dvd's then HP, Memorex, etc slap their name on them and sell them. All CMC mag suck equally, they don't change their specifications for each brand label. CMC doesn't make Verbatim or TY DVD's, they make them themselves.

CMC makes all the Verbatim discs that come out of Taiwan. The MCC code is the MID code used on the stamper, and that code appears on all the discs from that stamper whether they are made by MCC Singapore or MBI India or TY in Japan. If any of these factories uses a different stamper with a different MID code (as happens when a stamper is damaged or if Verbatim OKs the use of a different stamper.) then all those Verbatim discs will have that MID code on them. Here's the kicker: if the Verbatim line in CMC's factory loses its stamper and substitutes a stamper with the CMC code, all the discs from that line will behave as CMC discs in a drive even if nothing else changes. The drive applies the firmware for the CMC discs. In many Japanese drives that means lower performance even if nothing changes except the MID code in the ATIP. Interesting. Of course stamper quality is a critical issue in manufacturing, and that cannot be discounted in determining quality. But the quality standard for MCC discs and CMC discs in the CMC factory is identical. CMC uses the same azo-cyanine dye for many of its discs but not all of them because some manufacturers want a lower price and settle for cyanine. (That does not include either Imation or Memorex--they spec azo.)

As for longevity, part of the problem is the stability of the dye used; but the quality of the recording is critical, too. The edges of the light/dark marks have to be sharp and clear and free from time deviations (jitter). If the disc is underburned or overburned, the data can become illegible quickly even if the dye is stable.

If Verbatim switches to inverse stack production of DL discs instead of the present 2P process, those discs will not perform as well in older drives as the present discs unless manufacturers update firmware to include IS versions (fat chance!). IS media are coming simply because yield rates are better and the discs are less expensive to make--no wasted photopolymer layers. That doesn't mean that Verbatim DL discs will be any less quality than what appears now--it is a compatibility issue. Any behind many compatibility issues is the politics of Japan vs. Taiwan and India. Ritek makes RICOHJPN and RITEK DL on exactly the same lines with exactly the same materials. There is NO DIFFERENCE at all if one looks at the CATs test results, but RICOHJPN DL discs work better on more drives than RITEK DL. Guess why. Hint: it's not a quality difference.

For the vast majority of people it is very difficult to distinguish between compatibility and quality. Recommending Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden is wise because they both combine high quality with high compatibility. Trashing discs for incompatibility is not fair, and trashing entire companies despite the fact that those very companies often make the "best" discs is incongruous.