1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memorex vs maxell

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by darnton, Jan 14, 2006.

1. ashj

ashj Regular member

2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Don't even compare that shitty (piece of crap) Memosux, especially CMC MAG to MAXELL (Hitachi or Ritek). I have no further comment.

3. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

Thanks ashj. I already stocked up on some of those a couple of months ago when they were even cheaper at only £6.49

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Let's see now... CMC = Memorex = "Memosux" , right? Then does that mean that CMC = Verbatim = "Verbsux"? Then we have Samsung, Philips, Imation and some others that sell CMC; does that mean they are all "sux"?

Luckily Verbatim doesn't sell CMC predominantly as Memorex has. I have a huge batch of Memorex backups, but they're the Ricoh manufactured media (good stuff) except for one small batch of CMC. When Memorex moved to using CMC predominantly for both -R and +R recordable media, that's when I changed brands. I got stuck with a small batch of CMC +R. To date, I've not had any of the ones I recorded turn up bad. However, I got some coasters in the burn process. My problem with them was getting a good burn. Once burned, they played okay.

When/if the CMC do show up bad, then I'll just do another backup. I wouldn't redo a lot of backups if they're playing properly. Stories of DVD rot and other woes are often over exaggerated. Storing a DVD properly in it's container does a lot toward extending the life of the media. Most media once recorded will probably outlast the technology we're now using to play it. (How many of you have 45 RPM and 33 1/3 RPM records?) ;) Backups aren't really intended to be permanent anyway. That is unless you're lucky enough to live in one of those locales where it's legal to record anything you wish. They're usually meant for use in order to preserve the original. ;)

5. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Me, but I'm of the age (almost 63) where they were popular. I have 2 large boxes of albums and nothing to play them on. Not sure what to do with them.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Those 45s are still a good item. They still sell the replica and restored jukeboxes that play those. My brother-in-law has one in a fully functional soda fountain area in his basement. You walk in and you've stepped into the fifties, counter seats, booths, pinball (original Pinball Wizard), soda machines, the works. You used to still be able to get a turntable at some of the electronics shops. Before you throw those records away, you can send them to me. LOL They're still nice if they aren't all scratched up. If they're beat up, they make good oversized skeet targets. ;)

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ashj,

Why do you say that? All I use is verbatim dvd+r 8x hub printable dvd's booktyped dvd-rom and my success rate is 100%. I've had a couple coasters but it wasn't due to the verbatim printable media (the video_ts files wouldn't play when burned onto different media either. Error was my fault).

Comparing memorex to maxell is like comparing a ford pinto to a rolls royce.

As far as copying the files to better media there is no reason to use a transcoding proggy. The encryption is already broke and the files are already resized to fit on a dvd5. Simply use the methode described by creaky copy/paste or use dvd decrypter read iso, write iso.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  8. ashj

ashj Regular member

All the printable media I've burnt such as verbatim MCC004 DVD+R adv azo inkjet printables, Ritek G05 DVD-R x8, and Taiyo Yuden x16 DVD+R full face printables have droped in scan quality after being printed on.

I scanned a number of disc's after burning them and after printing on them;

Verbatim scored a 99, printed on it, it became a 95 on nero scan.

Also noted some deterioration on Ritek printibles, where non printables have remained consistent.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

ashj
    Was that a quality scan or a read scan? A minute change, in the real world no one would notice the variation in use. Now if it was dropping down to 70 or 80% on quality, then the quality change might be noticable. You appear to be a student of this testing process. What test are you using and at what level does decreased quality come into playability and recordability? What are the changes when doing a read scan? Does the disc lose playability and is less readable or is it PiPo and jitter where a minute variation in weight of the surface can cause very small changes in disc physics and thus the slight variation of your test readings?

10. ashj

ashj Regular member

hi Brobear,

I'm using Disc quality scan , using Nero.

mainly to see which disc's deteriorate the least.

Your right its a very small drop in quality,

but the same happened with my Ritek G05 printables X8, small drop in quality when printed on, then around 4 months later, most of the Ritek printables had dropped to 0% with high PI/PO failures.

They can't be read on any of my pc's.

Ritek g04, Maxell Ritek G05, and taiyo yuden's are all still retaining their quality. (a lot over 2 year)

I'm just a bit wary of the ink layer when printing on disc's after what happened with Ritek printables.

Inkjet media and labels have been my only problems so far.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Ritek did have a problem with dye on the G05 media for a while. I read they'd changed it and my friend that uses it, mentioned the same. You may have gotten some of a bad batch. That happens with even the best of manufacturers. It could have been just coincidence that they had printable labels. After all, all that is supposed to be happening is ink being printed on the top of the disk. No heat is involved as with the scribe printers. No nothing physical is supposed to be happening except recoloring the surface with ink. The laminate layer is supposed to be impervious to small things like that and the dynamics of the inner dye layer and the front layer of the media shouldn't be affected at all. Is there any possibility the media could have been physically damaged by the printer?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
  12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

I know that a lot of the afterdawn.com community are NERO users and I respect thier choice. But if the young man wanting to transfer his memorex recorderd movies over to maxell is using Roxio he can just use the disc copier function ! Just a thought Happy HappY JOY JOY!!!

13. ashj

ashj Regular member

Could have easily been a bad batch.

I'm using a canon pixma ip5000 makes a really good job and no marks are left on disc, dye looks pristine.

Labels are reckoned to be a problem with the disc going out of balance (label off centre) and through time the glue layer shifting (becoming uneven), which I had experience off.

as for inkjet printing you would'nt think the laser would be impaired with a layer of ink being added , but it does cause it ,in my experience, to drop 3 to 4%.

I'll keep my eye on the verbs and TY printables Im using, both x16 DVD+R.

maybe i'm just paranoid after the labels and ritek printables lol, time will tell.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, the factory labels are better than those add ons. Those have been a nightmare. LOL People were even trying to put them on without lineup tools. Personally, I just label the disk, usually with a marker, and leave the artwork for the holder. The DVDs may not be as pretty, but who is framing DVDs nowadays?

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

There should be no or very little deterioration on top quality inkjet printable media such as verbatim MCC or genuine TY's. I don't consider ritek to be in the same catagory as the 2 mentioned above. Here is a scan of one of my verb hub printables made almost a year ago. This disc was scanned about a month ago.

[​IMG]

I probably could have achieved even a better score if I would have slowed the scan down to 4x.

16. ashj

ashj Regular member

9th of may 2004 ritek g04

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/4/262544

posted down bottom of the page, I'm too lazy to link it again heh.

98% for the Ritek G04 burned as I said on 9/5/2004

along with a typical Ritek G05 at 97%

All my old riteks are really high % and my Ritek G05 are holding the same ^ ^

Can't get much better.

As for inkjet, well Taiyo yuden and verbatim Mc004 have deteriorated slightly as soon as printed on, as I've mentioned b4.

Hopefully they don't further :0

17. brobear

brobear Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not that hard, just copy and paste. ;) Interesting scans.

18. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

I find these scans very intriguing, but are they really accurate? I read somewhere that "crc" errors tell the real story.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Too bad they're not mine. As I said, my new Plextor won't be here for a few days. Those are courtesy of the link that ashj mentioned. I just did a copy and paste for him. LOL Since they looked relevant and a lot of people don't always check linked info, I thought the screenshots would be good here.

20. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Brobear, after I reread, I realized the scans were ashj's. Glad you appreciated the humor!