1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memorex vs maxell

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by darnton, Jan 14, 2006.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

Some times people get too serious about posting to forums. If we can't keep some fun in it while being helpful, we may as well quit. ;)

2. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Very true, Brobear. I personally believe humor brings personality to a forum.

Quote from one of my favorite movies:

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"

The cynical businessman version is "All work and no play makes jack. And plenty of it."

I wish I could be more helpful, but you guys are way too knowledgeable. I will never be an AD addict, even though I'm addicted to these forums.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- indeed. that's why i like to contribute to forums as well as mod. in some of these forums i'm just like any of you guys, ie i can post/have a laugh etc, in some forums i just have to be a big bad wolf. Those forums shall remain nameless *cough* consoles *cough* :O. the DVDR Media forum is one of my fave forums i think.

and as to Brobear's comment, very true, postings can get too serious, at least in these kind of forums if someone like me veers a thread back on topic ppl are ok with it, in *cough* those forums *cough* - no chance!

4. ashj

ashj Regular member

yup,

i find the scans to be most helpful in weeding out bad disc's

such as this famed maxell002

[​IMG]

must admit this is one of a bad batch, but the scans on the benq 1640 i find to be most accurate in spotting any problems with discs

or rest contented with these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and yes posting in a forum should be fun, whats the point if its a hassle all the time.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  5. umug

umug Regular member

At the risk of hijacking this thread I found this information I received in a newsletter interesting and also a little disturbing.

Then again he is an 'expert'lol

6. ashj

ashj Regular member

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Kurt Gerecke may be a physicist, but his knowledge of media is sure lacking. I have DVD backups that are a few years old and they're not fading out. Luckily he wasn't talking about factory CDs or DVDs.

The excerpt here at AD has him just talking about CDs. There's varying opinions on this and some of them from so called experts. Guess time will tell. Since DVD burning is only a few years old, we'll have to start checking to see if our old DVDs are going bad. As I said, my 3 year olds are still playing. Here's the claim from Maxell on DVD-R media:
    [bold]What is the life expectancy of DVD-R?
    Maxell DVD-R has a shelf life and post recording life of over 100 years. This makes it the ideal media for medical imaging, legal documents and long term storage applications.[/bold]
    http://www.maxell-usa.com/Content/P...department=datamedia_tech&Line=dm&Open=dmwp03

The next time an article like this is referenced from sources online, like PCWorld.com, it would be nice to include a link to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  8. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

@ashj........OMG, I hope the Maxell 002 was an isolated case. This is my media of choice. Fuji MIJ is very hard to find, as is Sony MIJ. Verbatim very seldom goes on sale and is extremely expensive. I really don't like the idea of shopping online ie: returning if a problem.

As per media, some people do not read labels in reference to warranty.....Memorex has limited 1 yr.....good media has limited LIFETIME warranty. 100 yrs is a bit of a stretch. LOL

As per cds.....well, I have never burnt a cd.... wouldn't know where to start LOL. My sons do swear by Fujifilm though.

The reason I ever came to these forums was to learn how to back up my dvd collection (been collecting since early 2000) I was tired of having them destroyed. As per different forums, I have really learned a great deal about computers, I'm very THANKFUL for that. I will continue to "lurk and learn".

9. brobear

brobear Guest

I've gotten most of my Sony(s) at Wal Mart or Sam's. Sometimes they have MIT and sometimes MIJ. To me it doesn't make a bit of difference because they're both good and I'm enjoying a %100 success rate. The only coasters have been my fault for making a mistake in the recording process. I got my Fuji(s) from OfficeDepot.com on sale and they were Taiyo Yuden 8X +R. I've bought enough that the Fuji(s) and Sony(s) have lasted the past year and I still have nearly 200 Sony(s) and 3/4 are Taiyo Yuden, which makes little difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  10. ashj

ashj Regular member

Lol yeah, I nearly fainted when I glanced up at it, that used to seeing these have 98 or so in scan's.

Just that 1 bad cakebox ^ ^