Microsoft does it again?!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DarkmanX, Jul 21, 2004.

1. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

When I try to write to the hard disk I get the following error (with large amounts of data):

I've got this when attempting to do any video editing. It locks up my computer and I usually have to reboot. I have check for virus with Norton, no virus. Checked Adware with Adware and Search and Destroy. Nothing. And my Windows Upsates are current. Does anyone know why thias is happening. I heard that Microsoft will be releasing an upgrade for XP next month, is this a common problem? My computer; 2.4 Pent 4, 1024 DDR ram, 200 gig and 80 gig 7200 rpm hard drives. Nvidea 64 mmg graphics card-This shoud be able to handle the tasks I have been attempting to do!

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

OOOOoops before blaming Microsoft !!

Is the "Enable write caching on the disk" feature for your disk turned on ?

Are you using a 40 wire connector to connect your IDE drive to the host adapter instead of a 80 wire one with 40 pins ?

Is your bios trying to force faster UDMA modes ?

3. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

Jeanc1 I went to check on my Hard drives. I believe the one WDC WD2000JB-00DUA0 SCSI DEvice is the 200 gig Western Digital Hard drive. The Policies were optimized for performance (greyed in) that is eneabling the cache in windows to improve performance. The other drive was also optimized for performance (greyed in) but the enable write caching on diosk was check. I unchecked the box, but I have been attempting to save my data on the Western Digital Drive, Not the D Drive. How do I check to see if the Bios is configred correctly?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Silent Assasin[/small]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Disable caching and your problem will be solved !

As for checking in your Bios -- enter the Bios screen and make sure each drive is set to UDMA.

5. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

I disabled and it worked! Thanks Now I'm trying to cut AVI's a make a compilation DVD. There has to be an easier way then what I am doing. I have used WMM 2 to edit, then I use the canopus AVI converter to convert to the correct AVI format, but canopus doesn't finish the conversion, but if I edit each segment in WMM, then run it through canopus, it works. problem is that this takes a LONG time to do each segment separately. I am experimenting with Virtualmod dub. Will I be able to create multiple AVI into one format with virtualmod dub?

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

~~ Now that you have your hardware setup OK -- You should start a new thread in the proper section of the Forum with your AVI how to?

Just so that those thread remain understandable for all that use the Forum.

Glad i could help! Happy Burning.

7. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

Wait just a minute. I got that error again. I checked the hard drive and the cache box was still unchecked!!! I also made sure I had plenty of space on the hard drive 60 gig left. Any ideas? In the Bios the UMDA is enabled. It has to be windows. I just downloaded vidoe from a recent family reunion to the Gigapacket. everything went well until I was using Click2 DVD to burn the video to a DVD. Approx. 40 mins into the conversion, I got that error message again! What a waste of an hour!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Silent Assasin[/small]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2004
  8. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

Here is what the bios state:

Primary Master
    Type [auto]
    PIO mode [4]
    Ultra DNA mode [5]
    both modes are greyed in

Primary Slave
    [auto]

Secondary Master
    DVDRW
    Secondary Slave
    CDRW

9. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

You will see this error after the drive goes over 137G used...

So you are using 40pin 80wire cable...

You have turned off enable write caching on the disk

Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to right-click your disk and press Properties, Select the Hardware tab, Select the disk and press the Properties button, Select the Policies tab, Clear the Enable write caching on the disk check box, Press OK and OK....

It could be something to do with the generic disk controller card Windows uses.

Try un-installing the IDE Controller, and HDD in Device Manager and restarting.

Or, finding updated drivers for your particular motherboard.

Regards
    CoZZa

10. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

I did all of those and nothing. I uninstalled the drives and rebooted. Seems to work lately, but I haven't tried any other programs. I have a family reunion I need to burn to dvd using sony software. working so far, but if it happens again, i shouldn't have to uninstall my harddrives everytime for a temporary fix. Isn't that the point of installing the ATA Ultra Controller card that came with the hard drive, to break the 137 barrier?