Microsoft quietly removes 44 Intel CPUs from list of supported Windows 11 processors

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ddp, Aug 7, 2023.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's A game Microsoft is playing with consumers to get them to purchase new PCs. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8 core processor and it was removed from support. My processor is more than capable of running Windows 11 if I actually wanted it which I don't. I have a laptop with Windows 11 that isn't nearly as powerful as my desktop but it's Okay because it's recent and Win 11 came installed on it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It's most likely due to cost vs benefit. I assume every cpu has it's quirks & some more than others require individual updates etc just to get them to work especially drivers which are not all standardized like usb 1,2 or 3 etc. Just the ethernet drivers list alone & attempting to find one that works when the dam thing needs one in device manager, cpu drivers & updates will be the same. The time spent making them for every cpu on every OS ,at some point ms most likely says enough is enough or something like that

4. aldan

aldan Active member

i put win11 on my old fx6300.not a single problem.could always go linux i guess.this could definitely come back to bite them in the arse.

5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Go for it.. Recommendations?.. Mint or Manjaro.. both easier to get working than the farce of modern Windo$e

Personally I run the XFCE variants.. just because I like it.

6. aldan

aldan Active member

thinking mint. played with that a bit.

7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Runs nice for me. I have installed it for a couple of people who couldn't afford machines capable of running that 10 junk and they had no problems.. that's why I tend to use XFCE.. it's rather similar to XP..
    Manjaro is a star on my laptop but being a bit Arch it's for the slightly more advanced/experienced user..