Microsoft Windows XP Backup

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Spider323, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hi,
    When I bought my computer it did not come with a backup of Microsoft Windows XP. I was wondering if there is any way I can burn Windows XP to a cd-r for back-up purposes?
    Thanks

2. gotisos

gotisos Guest

I don't know if this will work, but you can make a back up with sp1 using this tutorial: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248
    It's a pretty old tutorial, so I would just try googling, if you don't get another reply.

3. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Yeah this is a uide but its too old. I searched my computer for the boot.ima file but I can't find it. Thanks for trying though.

Anyone know any other guide or how to do it?

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

it wouldn't do much good if you don't have a registration code.

5. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

i downloaded a program that can give you yoyr registration code so all i need to do know is know how to get a backup of windows xp on a disk.

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Lets be careful about the direction of this discussion :p

Backing up WXP is a simpel task if u have the CDs... there's no 'hardcore' protection on it. If you dont have the CD and ur trying to backup based on your current installation.. ghost is the way to go

7. Xian

Xian Regular member

If you have the I386 directory on your hard drive you can just copy that to a cdr but you will still need your cd key. The I386 directory contains the files for installing XP.

If you don't have that then I second what Praetor said, just make a ghost image using Norton Ghost. That makes a snapshot of your current drive which you can burn to cd/dvd and you can restore from that if you need to.

8. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hi, I do have the I386 folder but if I copy it to a cd-r and in case my computer gets messed up and i have to reinstall it will it install through the disk?

9. Xian

Xian Regular member

You should be able to. What you will need to do is have a boot disk with cd drivers, like the Windows 98 emergency disk or the like. Make sure you copy smartdrv.exe to it too. You can probably find those by searching, or go to http://www.bootdisk.com/
    After you boot, run smartdrv, and change dir to the i386 dir on the cd drive and type winnt and follow the prompts.

10. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

ok thanks guys and Praetor, I even have the serial number on the side of my computer so I really don't need the program its just so I can acess it easier withouth having to pull it out to find the numbers

11. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

you could use PowerQuest DriveImage 7.0 to back up your hard drive in case of a crash. i backed up my hard drive after a clean install.