Mini DVD+RW to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by myasmommy, Aug 17, 2008.

1. myasmommy

myasmommy Member

Hello everyone!

We have a Samsung SC-DC173U and we have been recording our daughter using Mini DVD+RW discs (we can use a card but we haven't bought one yet). I want to copy these mini discs to regular DVDs for family members and I have been running into problems.

I bought a Pioneer DVD burner as well as a InterVideo DVD XPack (I guess my burner didn't include it or something). I also downloaded a free 15 day trial of Nero. For some reason my computer keeps saying I don't have a disc in my DVD burner, so do I need something that will read mini DVDs? My computer reads regular DVDs just fine.

I am getting so upset because all I want to do is make copies!!! I hope I don't have to buy anything else! I guess from now on I will record on a memory card so I don't have to go through this anymore!

Till then, can someone please help me? Thanks!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You need to finalize that miniDVD, in your camcorder, which is a problem sometiems, with a DVD+RW disc, which is a reason that I would NEVER use one, if I had a miniDVD video camera.

3. myasmommy

myasmommy Member

Okay, so I got out my booklet and followed the instructions on how to finalize it and I can't get it to work. I see where the option is to finalize but it is grey (and not black like everything else is) and when I do select it, it does nothing :( Can anyone think of a reason it would be doing this?

I have a full battery, and even tried doing it while it was plugged in, with no luck. The instructions say the option is only avail. when it is in camera mode, which it is so...?

And for future reference, what kind of mini DVDs do you suggest I buy next time?

Thanks!

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

What video mode did you record in? If it is VR(?) mode, you're pretty much screwed.

Use -R or +R discs, whichever your video camera takes.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. myasmommy

myasmommy Member

Oh great!

Well, I will make sure from now on that I stay away from the +RW discs then.

It recorded in VR mode... :( So is my only option to record onto a VHS through my TV? What if I buy a Firewire? Will my computer read my discs then? I sure hope so...

The manual says when you use a -RW disc it will give you the option to record in Video mode or VR mode. Then it says for a +RW disc it doesn't give the option.

Since the only time it lets you choose a mode is when you use a
    DVD-RW disc, should I buy those from now on?

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I'll say this without shouting. Switch to recording in Video mode.

You won't have any problems, then.

Does the manual say whether or not you can use -R or +R discs? If you can't, then use the -RW discs, if that is the only way you can record in Video mode.

Here is some reading that you can do, on the problems with VR mode and the resultant .VRO files.

http://search.msn.com/results.asp?FORM=sCPN&RS=CHECKED&un=doc&v=1&q=VRO files

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  7. myasmommy

myasmommy Member

From what I have read, it records in VR mode unless you have -RW discs.

Thanks for all your help.

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You're welcome. Did you read about VR mode, in the links that I posted?