modem phone cable for broadband..?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by twinkel, May 10, 2005.

1. twinkel

twinkel Regular member

at last i can get broadband in my area...whoooo hoooo,

do i need a special cable for the modem to phone socket..or can i use a normal phone cable like used for narrowband..?

thanks for any advice..

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is it cable broadband or telephone broadband??

3. ~RoNin~

~RoNin~ Regular member

Cable or DSL

4. twinkel

twinkel Regular member

oh yeah, its ADSL broadband...

5. ddp

will get a box similar to cable modem that is plugged into the phoneline with regular phone cord. from the box to your computer will use either an usb cable or network cable.

6. limelight

limelight Regular member

To answer your question, it will use a regular phone cord BUT you need to put a DSL filter on your phone line, then plug your modem line into that. Very simple. When you got your modem you should have gotten a pair of them. If you didnt, just ask your ISP and theyll hook you up.

7. ddp

i think the filter goes on the jacks for the phones but not the jack for the modem

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

When you get your DSL package, use "their" phone cable between the DSL modem and the wall outlet, not your own. It will be a black line, and contrary to popular belief, it does make a difference. Also its better to use network whenever possible as opposed to the USB option. :) Enjoy your broadband!!! :)

9. twinkel

twinkel Regular member

great thanks people!!...(my new isp gave no mention of supplying anything other than the usb modem and 2 filters in the package...)

10. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

11. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

My recent experience:

Customer had run a phone extension from the main British Telecom box to the Dining Room where he had his PC. ADSL Modem said no signal. I bought 10 metres of quality telephone cable at 20p / metre (10c) and wired it in directly to the BT socket (very Easy - only 4 wires) then ran it in to the dining romm and it now works fine. The telephone extension sockets you buy do not always have quality shielded cabling. His was either cheap or damaged - though the phone worked OK.

As for Filters - make sure - a must - that you put a filter on every socket that has an appliance - from satelite TV to Fax machines. The cable modem plugs in to a filter. Otherwise you create line noise and you get a bad ADSL or none at all.

12. ddp

with the high speed sympatico, they say don't put modem on the filter

13. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Not sure what that is but I had a look at this manual http://www.nwtel.ca/documents/hsiTroubleWinNt.pdf which refers to what they call a Splitter box, which we call a filter. Knowing me it is probably the wrong thing. I would never question ddp as it is always me that is wrong, so my comments are with major reservations.

My limited understanding is that basically the phone line has a twisted pair of copper cables. Voice is transmited in the range 0-4 but up to 26 KHz and uses a 8 bit data stream. The Broadband part is then piggy backed over the same copper at over 26 KHz up to 2 MHz. To do this the Filter is required at both ends of the cable to split the signals out, before being dealt with by the apparatus, i.e. phone or PC.

So if a DSL Modem doesn't require a Filter, I guess it has one built in! See http://www.multithread.co.uk/adsl/howitworks.php

Although the phone does work without a filter, you can get line noise from the over 26 Khz signal and also the resulting phone signals can interfere with the broadband signal which can reduce its speed or even stop it totally.

I am aware that a group of manufacturers got together to eliminate the requirement for a filter. This was done by reducing power which I understood reduced data speed and line noise to the telephone. Not sure how far this got in the US but the UK led by British Telecom - who basically own all the telephone exchange equipment and lines has gone down the route of using Filters.

I guess this then leads to the question which Country is twinkel from?

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Let's make it real easy shall we…

1. Put a Filter on EVERY phone jack, wall, desktop, or any device that uses a regular phone line.

2. Do Not put a filter on the actual line going to the DSL modem!

If you use a splitter, it will show one jack for phone, and one for unrestricted DSL signal.

If you try and speak on a phone without a filter, you will get a very loud shriek in your ear after a few seconds.

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  15. twinkel

twinkel Regular member

can the distance between the computer/modem to phone socket affect quality or speed, little concern of mine, coz currently i only have one socket thats 10m away (downstairs)but i do get a stable 45.2Kbps connection (narrowband)

twinkel is from scotland (uk) and i got BT (british telecom)phone line...

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  16. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Yes is the answer - 10 m - no problem.