motherboard problem asus a8n sli premium powers up but no

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wigster, Jul 24, 2005.

1. wigster

wigster Member

this is a big problem im running out of hair to pull out, ive connected everything up fine the motherboard works and the fans start to work but no monitor display, ive done a search on google seems to be a common problem with the azus motherboard but ive not found out the answer, i dont know if its faulty if its been happening to other people i cant see that the motherboard is faulty, ive done everything in the manual. my specs

Samsung 16x48 DVD Rom Internal IDE
    NEC ND3540A 16x16x DVD R/RW Dual Layer
    Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB UIDE
    Sony OEM 3.5 Floppy Drive
    Winfast VC100 Image/video PCI Capture device
    Soundblaster Live 24-bit/support 5.16.1+7.1 Surround Sound
    XFX GeForce 6800 GT PCI-E 256MB DDR3 TV + DUAL DVI
    AMD Athlon 64 3700 CPU Skt 939 San Diego Retail inc Heat Sink Fan
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium nFORCE4 SLi 939 PCI-E DDR400, SATA, Raid motherboard
    GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (GE1GB3200BHDC) (MY-005-GL) memory

2. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

ok first take out ur floppy drive (i dunno why people get these still) as they sometimes cause boot problems and is ur monitir connected throught a dvi port (using an adapter (the monitor having a vga connector)) or just strait into a dvi port (dont ask me just trying to think of things that might cause it)

3. wigster

wigster Member

its straight into the port, and ive allready tried taking things out, but as there is some people with the same problem would this rule out faulty motherboard?

4. eduard0

eduard0 Active member

What Power Suply Unit do you have? It might not be able to give enough power to your list of devices.

5. wigster

wigster Member

its powerfull enough its 580w more than enough.

6. techguy26

techguy26 Regular member

you need to clear the bios remove the system battery for 15 minutes reinstall try again. also it is a common problem with that board because alot of people leave it in sli mode and try to boot up with a single card, or vice-versa.

7. wigster

wigster Member

nope we tried that as well

8. techguy26

techguy26 Regular member

I guess the next solution would be to either try another video card you have or go out and get one that you can return easy. oh forgot to say nice computer!

p.s. try booting up the computer without the soundcard or the capture card, these could be having a conflict.

9. wigster

wigster Member

i was booting the pc just with the video card, i think im going to have to phone up a computer shop to see if they can test everything.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all power & data cables to drives. remove all cards except for videocard & 1 stick of ram. reseat those 2 plus the 2 motherboard power connectors. check the back end of the psu for voltage switch is in the right voltage for your country as north america is 115v & europe is 220v

11. wigster

wigster Member

im wondering if the memory is Compatible with the motherboard anyone know how i can find out

12. techguy26

techguy26 Regular member

I just read your post on asus forums. trying to see if I can find anything new. it seems many are having the same issues as you, so you were right about that! did you try hittin alt and f2 repeatly during boot up to me it might seem the motherboard's bios might not support the san diego core being it as a new one. if you repeatly press alt and f2 during startup and still dont get the ez-flash screen to pop up you may have a faulty board, and need to get it replaced. it does happen! I myself have ran into a couple bad board's 1 from msi and one from dfi.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  13. wigster

wigster Member

yea i tried the alt+f2 i still had nothing i think im going to spend some money and see if i can ask a shop to test it out.

14. fusseli

fusseli Member

i am helping my friend build a new comp and we have the exact same problem, and on the a8nsli prem. he has a 4000+ (san diego), xms corsair, 2x 120gb maxtor in raid 0, brand-spankin new 7800gtx, and an audigy 2 zs.
    the odd thing with this comp is that we had it running fine, we had put on windows, and were installing updates without a hitch. we had restarting several times, and the very unexpectadley, the computer didnt boot after a routine restart. today we are going to try resetting the bios, etc to try to clear this up. he is extremely disappointed lol since his brandnew comp already doesnt work right. hopefully we get this cleared up and dont ahve to replace the mobo

15. bigwhomp

bigwhomp Member

Thats the exact thing that happened to me. Running fine for two weeks with the premium, then yesterday turned it on and nothing. Tried clearing the cmos and booting with only cpu ram + video, still nothing. No beep on power on also. It's like its hangning before it even detects the video card. I think im sending it back tomorrow for a new one..

cool forum btw, im new.

16. ddp

do the fans spin & the green case light is on for power??

17. bigwhomp

bigwhomp Member

yes the light is on for power and the cpu fan spins. The hard drives start, but you can tell they dont really get to loading anything. I tried clearing the cmos and booting with no ram, but i dont even get that nice warning beep. The system will stay like this for a few minuts and then shut off.

18. ddp

can't boot if have no ram. remove all cables from drives. remove all cards & ram except for a videocard & a stick of ram, reseat those. try changing sticks of ram. reseat all power connectors to motherboard.

19. bigwhomp

bigwhomp Member

Sorry, i should have said that i have tried with ram also in different slots, just a shot in the dark the no ram thing. I have tried two power supplies, two video cards, with and without hd cables, different ram, even a different monitor just in case. Im convinced shes gone. Thanks alot for your help.

20. wigster

wigster Member

seems a common problem i sent my motherboard back with cpu it came back tested and working, so i sent back my graphics card they said it was faulty im waiting to get a new one should be tuesday.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005