MS-DOS question

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by nyk0n, Oct 25, 2008.

1. nyk0n

nyk0n Regular member

if i want to format a disk (CD) what is the dos comand i use?
    its in drive E...if there is any other infomation needed let me know, and please explane how to obtain it im a noob at dos thanks alln

Myk0n

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

If you are talking about formating a small diskette then the command is easy all you have to do is go into dos and type

Format a:

then it will ask you if you are sure you want to remove all the stuff on the disk and you type Y

the only thing u have to make sure is that you type a: because if you type C: that will wipe your hard drive.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

You don't format a cd.. A r/w might need it when it's new, but your os will take care of that the first time you try to write to it.

To BLANK a cd/rw you can use the built in XP "erase" tool or nero or something.

If you try to format a cd-r you will just close it.. so don't do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2008
  4. nyk0n

nyk0n Regular member

im trying to burn xebian and it will not let me burn anything to it because it says it has things on it but when i got to my computer...its blank....the drive is drive E

5. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Like varnull has already said if its a blank CD-R you basically can only use it once and then its finished with if this is what has happened throw it away and use another blank.

6. varnull

varnull Guest

Xebian is an iso file.. an image.. You need to use imgburn or nero or alcohol120% or k3b as you are trying to burn linux... dump windows and start using linux.. then you will understand xebian.. to burn an image to a disk.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2008