1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multiple AVCHD on external HD and play on playstation 3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by sundean, May 1, 2010.

1. sundean

sundean Member

Need help i have external HD and i want to put multiple video to play in my ps3 but the ps3 play only one movie from the root if you named in AVCHD if you create folders separate the AVCHD video is not play with subtitle like BD..
    If you renamed the folder AVCHD is not play and i find the movie if i press /\ triangle in G:\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM but is not working with subtitle.
    So, How to insert multiple AVCHD on external HD root and play on my ps3 with subtitle.

2. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Unfortunately, you can't play multiple AVCHD movies (unless you mux them together with some sort of very basic menu system to browse through them... but I don't think that's possible off of a USB drive), but what you can do is download AVCHD Manager. It's a Windows program that you put onto the root of your drive; it can detect and rename any Blu-Ray structure folders so that they are playable on your PS3. You can only have one folder named AVCHD (obviously), so if you want to switch movies, you'll have to boot up your PC and open up AVCHD Manager to switch the folder names.

3. sundean

sundean Member

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Now what is the point of moving DVDs to an external drive for PS3 use, when you will have to do this every time you want to watch a movie? If you need your PC to watch a movie, you might as well just setup a media server!

5. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

I agree. Or heck, just watch the movies on the PC as it is.

Ever since connecting both systems to my monitor, I've only ever watched movies off of the PC. There's no wireless remote or anything like that, which is a hassle, but playback itself is just a heck of a lot more convenient.

That said, if you've got BD rips, then there's much more room for argument. As far as I know, there's no freeware BD player for PCs yet - and that's not even mentioning the codecs and blah blah blah that I'd need to install - so ripping the movie to an external HDD and watching it off my PS3 is a lot more convenient.

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

You can rip the movie itself to a TS or an AVI losslessly...and one of that apps that does that is freeware...it just isn't as good as anydvd hd when it comes to breaking the protection on the disk. Still have not found anything freeware that will do BD-J.

7. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

True, but the filesize would be ginormous without compression, and re-encoding time would also be unfeasibly long (I think; I haven't seen h264 streams packed neatly in an .avi file before, so I'm assuming it'd have to be a DivX/Xvid/lossless .avi).

The only thing I don't like about AnyDVD HD is that it's not free; other than that, it's just about the greatest thing ever invented.

8. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I think you can put a h264 stream into an AVI (I know for a fact you can put them in a .TS file)...I know you can put just about every other format into an AVI. Even a really big movie like Avatar would only by 50GB...a big file, but it does not seem so big when you have over 6TB of space.