multiple sound channels

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by BlairF27, Sep 29, 2005.

1. BlairF27

BlairF27 Guest

going on the assumption that the only stupid question is the unasked one...

i have the philips dvp642 unit and love it. i'm thinking of upgrading my home stereo system to a 6.1 channel home theater setup. will the philips dvd player play multiple channels, or is this somethign that i don;t need to be concerned about? i guess my question is: does the dvd player or the receiver decode the channels into the speakers?

thanks!

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

if on the back of your dvd player there is options for multi-channel inputs, then you can connect a a/v receiver there, but its not worth it. get you a home theater receiver, whether it be a 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 (what ever you prefer) run an optical cable or coax from the dvd player output to the receiver input for sound and your set. you are in a sense, using the receiver as your middle man and is the preferred way to do it anyway.
    i have mine set up as such, the dvd player is hooked up 2 ways for audio. when i want the h/t on, it runs via an optical cable, and when i dont want to turn on the receiver, i am running seperate rca cables from the dvd output straight to the tv inputs (so i still have sound).
    to answer your question, yes, the receiver will decode the audio, be it dts, dolby digital, 5.1, etc.... and send the correct signal to where it needs to go. using just the dvd player, it will not work, it will need the receiver to do it. let me know.

3. BlairF27

BlairF27 Guest

thanks for the input (no pun intended). on a similar note, which connection is most recommended for a/v: s-video, optical or rca?

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

before i can suggest what will work best for you, i need to know your current electronics and their inputs and outputs options. but as far as cables, it goes like this as far as video, from worst to best
    coaxial cable; RG-59, (which is what normally supplied with audio components) then RG-6 (which is what you get with installed cable)
    video cable; (yellow wire) they range in price and quality
    s-video cable; same thing, price and quality
    component cable; 3 cables in one jacket usually
    and lastly, DVI cables and HDMI cables, which is hi-def, but you need a tv that supports either DVI input or HDMI inputs. DVI carries no audio but an HDMI to HDMI, (or dvi) will.

and as far as sound goes...and in order, from worst to best
    coaxial cable can be used to carry sound, but sux
    rca cable; your red and white cables
    coax cable; also range in price and quality
    and optical cable; sends a signal by light. (i use this for sound)

what is your current set up? TV, i know you dvd player already. do you have a set top box (cable, satillite, rabbit ears ;) )?
    i guess you dont have a home theater receiver yet?
    i just bought this unit the other day, got it for a steal.
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV1500.htm

do you need help setting all this up, or you just want general information? let me know, i will be glad to help where i can.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
  5. BlairF27

BlairF27 Guest

Well, my setup is:

Panasonic CT-27SX10 TV
    Yamaha HTR5840 6.1 channel 600 watt receiver
    Philips DVP642 (for DVD & CD)
    PS2 Unit
    Generic VCR
    and a pair of Energy Pro 22 speakers

i do not watch broadcast tv, so i don't have cable or rabbit ears!

any suggestions for hookup?

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

sorry it took so long to get back to you, i was totally busy at work, hard a hard day, and i was too tired and i did not log in here till now.
    anyway, i did not take the time to look up your exact product specs, but this should give you a genreal idea on how to set it up. assuming you know all the ins and outs here, i will give you a simplified version on set up.
    your receiver, not too shabby, will be the center of your system.
    all your components will connect directly to it. dvd player out audio to receiver via either optical or coax cable. run the video out straight to the tv via s-video, or component, which ever it has, component being best video quality, cuz i dont think your player has a dvi or hdmi output. the ps2 also has a optical out, you can also purchase a hi def cable for the ps2, i thinks it runs about 20 bucks or so, it will give you a better picture. run your optical to the receiver for sound (providing your receiver has multiple inputs for audio, then you just switch your selections by the receiver menu) and again, run your video outs to the tv direct. i dont like to run video thru my receiver cuz you will tend to loose picture quality, plus it just means you need more cables, and it already a mess to begin with. especially if you have no idea what goes in and out. it can be a jungle of wires (rats nest).
    same thing witht the vcr, i am sure its an older unit, so audio out to the receiver, (red and white cables) and video straight to the tv. (again, providing you tv has multiple video inputs as well)
    and of course, the speakers are a no brainer. if you only have the pair, you should get a 5.1 speaker system, as you will hear all the sounds you need to hear.
    my system shakes the walls and even triggers my house alarm.
    i hope this guides you along the way.
    if not, let me know. also, i suggest you buy some semi good cables. i would not waste money on the monster cables, unless you have a 5000 dollar system. i have good cables, but i also have thousands in my home theater already.
    buy some from best buy or elsewhere. accoustic research cables are a cheaper alternative, and good quality.
    let me know if i can assist you further.

7. BlairF27

BlairF27 Guest

Thanks for the help! I'll give this a try.

Blair :)