1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My camcorder won’t read any sd card I put into it

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Drunkytron The Drunk, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Drunkytron The Drunk

Drunkytron The Drunk Member

Hi all. I come here from time to time to look at questions, but nobody ever has a question I can answer (it says I’m a newbie, but I’ve been on here for over a year now). Anyway, I bought an off brand 5K UHD camcorder that’s snake bit. I know, that’s on me. I have 3 Sandisk sd cards, a 32GB, 128GB, and a terabyte card (1TB). I know, I should have known better to even try with the 32GB. But that terabyte card certainly should’ve worked. Well, the camera won’t format a damn one of them, so I used my laptop. I left the quick format box checked, and chose the exFAT file system. After the camera failed to read a damn one of them, I went back to the good ol’ laptop with all 3 cards. This time I unchecked the quick format box, stayed with the exFAT file system, but still, the camera won’t read a damn one of them. So, back to the ol’ laptop. Unchecked the quick format, chose the NTFS file system, but still, I get error messages when I try to record with any of the 3 cards. Here in about a week, I will be taking the camera to an electronics repair shop when I’m on vacation. Just to find out if it’s even usable. In the meantime, I will be simply amazed if anyone can offer a solution to fix this problem. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what does the camcorder docs say about sd capacity & make? what is the make & model # of the camcorder?

3. ddp

Drunkytron The Drunk says.
    " Hi ddp. I tried to respond to your reply on our original thread, but I kept getting an error that read something like your post is spam-like or it has inappropriate elements. The model number on my camcorder is HDV-255K
    The storage capacity is 256GB, I overlooked it during my first time through the manual, in parentheses next to the recommended grade of sd card. So the terabyte card was never meant to work. If I don’t get the error again, i can tell the brand names of the camcorder, sd cards & where I bought it also. Thank you for replying earlier this evening! Sorry it took me so long to respond, they kept hitting me with the error treatment & such."

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

cards.
    I think the issue is the type of SD card you're using. I looked your camera up, read the manual, and what I found is this. The camera is only compatible with "SDXC C10 U1 grade and above SD cards. You will see the SDXC designation on the card and it will also have the number "10" encircled with the letter "C." So you're going to have to purchase an SDXC card for the camera. The good news is that they're not too expensive.

In the image notice the SDXC and the number 10 mostly encircled by the letter "C." Also notice the U with a 3 in it which means it qualifies as U1 grade or higher.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ddp, why is Drunkytron being flagged as spam?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  6. ddp

I do not know so that is why I posted his pm to me so others can see what he is attempting to use.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

@Drunkytron

When I read your post I didn't see any mention of an SDXC which why I focused on it as possible cause. Can you provide an image of one or more of your cards so that we can review them?

Also if you're being flagged as spam then how did you make your original post? I'm trying to figure out what's different because your issue is a bit unusual.