My computer keeps turning off ,why..

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by pimpmex, Mar 25, 2008.

1. pimpmex

pimpmex Guest

I use the internet for like 30 minutes and then it turns off, but when i dont use it, it stays on. I have always left my computer on seens the day i bought it. is it a virus or what, what should i do. is there any thing i can do to fix it. Scan it for problems or something, something free. Dont have much money to take it to get checked or fixed.(please no bad posts)

2. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

could be that your computer is over heating. Just a thought. You can download free programs and see how hot you cpu is.

3. pimpmex

pimpmex Guest

can u give me any names for the programs please

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go into the bios & see if hardware monitor is there as it will tell you your cpu temp.

5. pimpmex

pimpmex Guest

[​IMG]

this is what comes out i used speedfan 4.33, is this bad and what should i do, i dont understand this

6. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

the fire icon means hot the down arrow means the tempature is decreasing and the check mark means its fine.

i also had this problem. Im not sure what i did but my computer isn't crashong any more. Try to have only windows your using on your screen. don't open up a ton of programs at once. hit control + alt + delete and hit the performance tab. you can see your cpu usage there. obviously it shouldn't be to high. looking at mine right now as i am typing it averages at about 9 or 10%.

You can also look into some cooler optons. like thermal cooler. just google it.

7. abcleaner

abcleaner Member

Be careful, this happened to my computer a couple of years ago but i ignored it and just rebooted evertime it switched off. Unfortunately, the fan was faulty and the temeperatures were so high that my motherboard actually melted to the case. Luckily the processor was ok. Just a word of warning.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  8. varnull

varnull Guest

Could be dodgy ram too.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i see your processor didn't melt but how was your mum

10. abcleaner

abcleaner Member

lol,post edited, it was late at night, anyone can make a typo.

11. pimpmex

pimpmex Guest

THanks that actually help, its because i had alot of different programs running and now its not shuting off so ty all

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

pimpmex,
    I know it seems that you may have "fixed" the problem but there is something causing your "over-heating" problems. ;)

The first thing I would do is check your heat sink and make sure it's not full of dust and lint.

Next I would make sure the fan is turning on your hsf (heat sink fan) when the computer is up and running after a few minutes.

Lastly I would check other areas of dust accumulation, ie; other fans and vents if available. If you don't have a case fan I'd also look at adding at least the rear fan. ;)

If these 3 things check out ok and your temps don't come down after you "blow" out your heat sink then you could have some other issues BUT I think those 3 things should address some if not all of your "heat" issues. ;)

some other monitoring progies.... you'll have to google for them...

*core temp

*hwmonitor

*pcwizard

*everest home ed (major geeks has this one... FREE version btw)

hth.....

.....gm

13. pimpmex

pimpmex Guest

ok thanks alot