My strange beeping computer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rSgDrF, Jul 27, 2004.

1. rSgDrF

rSgDrF Member

Lately, my computer's been atcing strange. Whenever I shut it down, it beeps. It beeps for about 3 sec and about ten times. So it takes a total of 30 sec just to shut down my computer.... I don't know if this's a function I trigger mistakingly or some hacker messing with my computer. This is quite annoying, so can u guys help me with this?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

is this on a shut down/RESTART or a complete shut down ?

There are many codes installed in CMOS to signify problems in a computer -- it all depends who made your board and what bios they using.

Here's a link to some of the codes --

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

3. rSgDrF

rSgDrF Member

When I try to Fully shut down my computer, the beeping happens. The codes you're talking about, I don't know much about computers, so I have no idea about the codes you're talking about.

Edit: Umm I'm not sure, but I think my computer is AMI and the beep code is probably this

"10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error "

So is there a way to fix this?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

A continous beep code can mean a Power Supply or Motherboard failure ! -- Now you not given Me much to bite on -- so dont panic.

-How old is the PC? -- AMD or Intel ?
    -Is it a Brand Name PC?
    -Is the PC working ok while it is "ON" ?
    -Did you add anything as far as hardware before it started to Beep like that?
    -do you have a Surge Bar to connect on?
    -Is the PC getting proper ventilation ?

Now you know how to put in a request for help in the Forum. Give as much details as you can first so people can bite ! ~~smiles

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2004
  5. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
    Unlike the ROM BIOS checksum failure, the CMOS shutdown failure indicates that the BIOS settings somehow cannot be accessed by the motherboard. This usually indicates something is wrong with the motherboard.

Regards
    CoZZa

6. rSgDrF

rSgDrF Member

Jeanc1, Ok here are the details:

-My computer is Intel P4 2.00GHz
    -I'm using Windows 2000 Pro.
    -It was built about 1-2 years ago
    -It works fine while it's on, no problem at all
    -It was custom built by my dad's friend(He build computer for people all the time, it's his job)
    -The last time I added a hardware was the Sony CD-RW, but it was a while ago(1 yr)
    -When I restart the computer, it doesn't beep, only shut down
    -I don't have a surge bar and I think don't know about the ventilation

cozza1987, if I'm having the problem you said, should I take it to a computer shop and have them fix it? And will the failure thing cause me to lost all my data on my computer(fry my computer)?

7. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

It sounds like a motherboard problem.

Best to take it to a comptuer shop, and get them to have a check.

No, your data should be fine, just sounds like a corrupt CMOS.

It might be as simple as replacing the CMOS battery, or possibly replacing the motherboard.

Regards
    CoZZa

8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

[bold]rSgDrF (Newbie) [/bold]

You in good hands with [bold]cozza1987 (Senior Member)[/bold] -- Take care !

Am unsuscribing from this thread !

9. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

Win 2000 Pro uses the system speaker somtimes, more than other op systems...
    I would think it could be down to your APM (advanced Power managment) or just some software curruption..

when was the last time your operating system was reinstalled, at time of build?, if so easy solution try a full format and reinstall of win2k, backing up your personal data of course : )

if it were me i woulnt think it was your motherboard first off, i would suspect software curruption / incorect settings in APM.

But if you are unsure of all this i would take cozza1987 advice and take your PC to a Computer shop they should be able to repair it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2004
  10. rSgDrF

rSgDrF Member

-_-a So much problem, I'll take it to the shop, thnx for your guys help.