N00b!...Help with Cam to Computer...

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by um4r, Sep 2, 2005.

1. um4r

um4r Guest

Ok I'm new here and have recently been getting into video editing for fun as a hobby. I'm a uni student and on holidays so been messing about with some vids I downloaded off the net and like adding effects to them like matrix effect etc etc...now I want to try and do them on myself.

Ok so I have a camcorder..duh..lol....JVC Mini DV. What do I exactly need so I can connect this camcorder to my computer and do various stuff, like edit and whatever?

Like is there some program or whatever where I can connect the camcorder to the PC...then what I see on the Camcorder small screen, is also being viewed on my PC monitor screen?..And then editable. Or I could save it as a vid file of my PC then edit it?

You people know what I'm talking aboot?. Thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

will need either a usb or firewire cable & card in the computer. does the camcorder comes with a cd disk as might have a program on it to use.

3. um4r

um4r Guest

no man it didnt come with anything like that....and i dont think i have a firewire..i need to buy right?

any advice what one to go for...a cheap good model...im in uk

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

1st find out what type of cable whether usb or firewire the camcorder needs than get the card & cable that fits into the camcorder as the 1 end that fits the camcorder might be 1 of different sizes. check the system requirements for the camcorder. download the driver & software needed for camcorder from jvc.

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You should connect your camcorder through a Firewire connection, not USB. If your PC does not have a Firewire, buy a Firewire card an install on your system. You should be able to buy a card plus cable for around €20-30.
    The articles in the basics section of http://www.digitalvideoclub.com go into each of the steps involved in digital video editing and may be valuable for you.