need a player that supports all dvd audio codec's

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by redux79, Sep 9, 2008.

1. redux79

redux79 Regular member

No matter where I look I can't seem to find the specific audio codec’s that different dvd players support. I am upgrading to a yamaha YHT-390 and I need a dvd player that outputs the following audio codec’s

(This is an excerpt from the product info page)

I'm assuming the dvd player needs to support the listed audio codec’s or is it simply the receiver that decodes the signal? This is my first time buying a separate player and receiver so any advice would be appreciated.

I've been looking for a few hours now and almost every detail's or specification page I find simply say's supports dolby and dts surround. I mostly watch backups so dvd +/- R support is a must, unfortunately I need upconversion through component and the cheapest oppo player available capable of that is way out of my price range. I’m hoping to find a player under $100.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Only player I know of that will upconvert over component, is an Oppo (with a supported hack), and it will only do it with dvds with no copy protection. So, it would have to be with backups. I forget which model Oppo does it. Call them. They will tell you.

As far as the codecs, the receiver does that. The player sends the signal via "bitstream", and the receiver does the decoding. Almost any 7.1 receiver should do it. I say 7.1 instead of 5.1, because Dolby Pro Logic IIx takes a stereo signal and will matrix it to 7.1 surround. Neo:6 (6.1) is to DTS, what Pro Logic is to Dolby Digital. Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES is 6.1 discreet surround.

Keep your eyes open, and you may find a used Oppo for under $100.
    Good luck!

3. redux79

redux79 Regular member

Thanks for the response, this may be a stupid question but if the receiver decodes the audio codec’s then I can pick any player that supports dolby and dts? It doesn't have to support each individual codec?

My parents upgraded their home theater last year and bought an lg dn798 player. I don't care much for the brand but it's played everything I’ve thrown at it and it upconverts through component. It's selling for $70 on newegg with free 3 day shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882005031&Tpk=dn798

Not to impose but could you check my other thread in the receivers/amplifiers section, I'm almost dead set on buying the Yamaha system, the link to the product page is the closest to the top. It supports all 6.1 audio codec’s but it’s only a 5.1 system. Also I'm a little wary of the seller (edit at the bottom).

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/699930

4. JVC

JVC Active member

The Newegg page you linked to, and this LG page:
    http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv|audio|video_digital video__DN798.jhtml
    shows that the upconversion is done over HDMI. Nothing is said about doing it over component. Since I don't know the player, I can only go by what LG says on their site. As long as you're happy with it, that is all that matters.

The Yamaha should be ok, as long as you're not planning on a blu ray player, and expect to hear the HD audio on blu ray movies. With that system, you'll get DD and DTS, but that's it. No HD audio formats. I've heard good and bad about 6th Ave. Electronics, but mostly good. You'll hear good and bad about all of them, including Amazon.com.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  5. redux79

redux79 Regular member

I read through the LG manual and it states that component video upconversion is possible with non-copyprotected dvd's. I searched a number of different sites and read dozens of reviews and not one of them mention this information. So many problems could be solved and questions answered if a PDF file of the product manual was available on every company's website.

As for the yamaha system I don't plan on going blu-ray anytime soon so it looks like the right fit for me. All orders were placed last night and should arrive sometime mid next week. The only question left is if I should cannibalize my old 16 gauge wire or by new, I'll probably just wait to see how it sounds after it's set up.

I can't wait to get this new system up and running, I've got to stop checking my email waiting for shipping confirmation.

-Thanks for all your help