need a program

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by garyanson, Jul 7, 2008.

1. garyanson

garyanson Member

i used to have a program that would list what was on a disc or specific drive and let you print it off, but i cant remember what it was called.
    what i am trying to do is print a list of things that are on my external drive without me having to type them into word or similar prog,

any help with this will be great.

Thanks

2. KM1978

KM1978 Member

I know this isn't exactly helpful, but I've got a programmer buddy who says he's got an account here. Once he answers my email and I know what his account name is here, I'll ask him to come in and see what he can whip up for you.

Shy of that, I did try googling for a program like what you're looking for, but I didn't come up with anything that listed files. I found some things that listed things like programs and the keys they're registered with. But from what you've written, I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Sorry I can't be of more immediate help, but it's been almost a week since you posted this and no one's replied, so I figured I'd come in and tell you to keep hope.

3. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

OMG!! This is the kinda stuff that is given away free on the cover of pc magazines for the past decade....

1. broswe to 'www.google.co.uk'
    2. type 'directoryprint' into search box, hit 'search'
    3. download any of the numerous wares listed.

Alternatively go START>RUN>CMD and at the prompt type:
    Code:
    dir <driveletter>:\ /o:n /s /b > "nameofsomefiletoprint.txt"
    this would give you a list of all items in all directories and subdirectories, in alphabetic order, in a file called "nameofsomefiletoprint.txt"

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  4. KM1978

KM1978 Member

Awesome then. Well done.