1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help deciding on which chip to get

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by O9Balla, Dec 30, 2005.

1. O9Balla

O9Balla Guest

Will somebody help me decide on which mod-chip to get or should I even get one. I need a no-solder chip since I don't even know where to get a soldering iron, much less know how to use one. I want a direct boot chip. I want a cheap chip, but i guess I'll pay for quality since i've got Christmas money. lol. Also, I'd like to know what's the best store to buy from. Thanks in advance.

2. Cheeez

Cheeez Member

Where do you live? Then I can give you a more accurate answer.

3. O9Balla

O9Balla Guest

i live in mississippi. there aren't many (if any) mod shops around Jackson, so i think i'd be best off buying a no solder because I don't know if my uncle is that great at soldering. He's the only person I know that knows how.

4. Cheeez

Cheeez Member

There aren't many/any good no-solder ones. I suggest you pay someone to solder one in for you. I dont know any places for this in the US someone else might be able to help.

5. IluvPs2

IluvPs2 Guest

6. windtrade

windtrade Regular member

What good is this chip?

Following is direct quote from FAQ om mfg site.

7. IluvPs2

IluvPs2 Guest

when the chip is stock it will not boot backups , this is normal for alot of chips these days for legal reasons . there are "hacked" flash upgrades you put on the chip and it will play backups and let you play them online also . xbox and gamecube chips are like this also .

8. windtrade

windtrade Regular member

@IluvPs2 - Thanks for the clarification. So, the Toxic firmware does the work on the DMS chips. What similar options are available for the Matrix Infinity chip?

9. Cheeez

Cheeez Member

10. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

while i agree a soldered chip is the much preferred method the EZI version DMS4 is a good no solder chip. teammodders.com is another place you can ship your PS2 into and have them mod it for a fair price if you don't know anyone local to you. if you go the route of getting a chip installed, I'd recommend the DMS4 Pro SE and run the Toxic 0.4 OS on it.

kc

11. IluvPs2

IluvPs2 Guest

yes dms ezi is the best "no solder" chip out there , but then again i have read just as may horror stories about them as good 1s so getting a chip soldered is always the best option and most of the time will cost close to the same as buying a ezi and far cheaper than buying a new ps2 .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2006
  12. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

If you're looking for basic features, I've heard that the Duo2SE is a good solder-in chip.

13. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Go with the DMS 4, Matrix Infinity, Crystal Chip, or Duo2SE. There is hacked firmware for the Crystal Chip which allows you to play backups. Ofnir, I hope you get your PS2 back soon. I have a Matrix Infinity and it works great. The Matrix firmware comes with a host of kick arse options. It includes a Y fix for PSX and PS2 games. That means you can play PAL or NTSC PS2 games with the screen perfectly centered, regardless of what type of PS2 you have. It supports multi disc PSX games like FF7, FF8, or FF9, it allows you to play DVD videos from any region, it loads elf files off the MC card, supports the ARMAX memory card, auto boots all types of media, and as a pointless but fun bonus, let's you customize the boot logo of your PS2. It's pretty sweet seeing the Steelers logo everytime I turn on my PS2. I hope that helps. The DMS 4 does all the same stuff.

14. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

Tokijin, a die hard MI fan no doubt, the DMS world is missing out on all the glory because their chip just wouldn't work with your mobo. enlighten me, the MI has an OS similar to the Toxic??? while i've installed a couple hundred mods, DMS have been the only top of the line requests for the past few yrs and nobody wanted to go with the MI.

kc

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  15. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

I'm not incredibly familiar with the Toxic OS. Basically yeah it's similar. Aside from the HD Loader program built into Team Toxic's flash, it's similar. You hit triangle+circle at boot up and it brings up firmware options. You can mess around with the Y fix, DVD-9 support, DVD video region options, PSX multi disc support, boot modes, and various other options. Maybe not quite as flashy as Toxic OS, but it's feature packed and gets the job done. You could always download the Matrix Firmware and check the read me instructions for more complete info.

Matrix Firmware: http://www.infinitymod.com/cgi-bin/matrix/site.pl?page=news

16. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

thanks.

kc

17. O9Balla

O9Balla Guest

sry but now I'm having another more pressing dilemma. My eject\restet button ribbon cable is torn. I ordered one from RichsPSXParts.com, but I haven't even recieved an email since the original order confirmation, which was aproximately two weeks from now. Anyone else had an experience with this?

18. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Just keep contacting them. If you have no luck with that, find a contact no. on their website and call them. Some sites are notorious for not responding to emails. You could check http://www.resellerratings.com or http://www.bbb.com for more info on that particular site.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  19. crakababy

crakababy Member

do any of you guys know anyone in the montreal area that solders chips? I'm thinking of ordering the matrix infinity mod chip and I just sent them an email asking if they soldered too. If they don't I'd like to know in advance.

20. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

I don't know about Montreal, but most mod sites will deliver to Canadar. Use one of the reputable installers posted here:

26. Q. I'm in the market for a modchip or premodded console. What are some reputable sites I can order from?
    A. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/251223 In addition http://www.modchip.com and http://www.norcalmods.com are supposed to be reliable. http://www.Xmodds.com is another quality mod site. If you're interested in a premod or modchip, be sure to order from one of these high quality sites.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006