Need help for christmas

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by rxt, Dec 4, 2006.

1. rxt

rxt Member

Hi, Im not all upto date with DVDplayers and such, but Im hoping you guys can help.

Ok, So I download alot of movies normally Xvid/Divx .avi's (700mb-1.3gb)I really want download some movies for my parents over the christmas peroid. Now... I've tried re-encoding .avi's into VCD formats and playing them on our "very standard/cheap" DVD player down stairs. Although this method works, the otherall process takes time(might be just my computer), Plus some of them dont always turn out so good video/audio sync problems.

So what other alternatives are there?

DVDPlayers with harddrives, could someone explain how these work?
    DVDPlayers with Xvid/DivX playback, These are touch and go right? like not all of them are great, and quality depends on encodes settings etc

Is there anyother method of playing them from my computer upstairs, on the downstairs TV. flash card 1gb nothing that supports that?

Any help is appreciated

rXt
    (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, best forum I could find for the topic)

2. behrad

behrad Regular member

welcome to Afterdawn rxt,

You are spot on about the quality of playback via VCD as well as the time and effort it takes to change from one format to another...
    You could look to solve this problem by different approch. Have you ever considered streaming your DiVx/Xvid movies direct to your TV?

You can use a media player which has wireless support and can stream this content direct from your PC to the TV. You dont even need to run wires throughout the house. Plus it lets you tap into into Internet content (TV channels and Audio content) direct to your TV.

I am attaching some blurb and a link below:

Play your digital music, watch your home videos, and jump through your entire library of digital photos directly on your television and home stereo system with the D-Link MediaLounge DSM-320 Wireless Media Player*.

The D-Link MediaLounge Wireless Media Player links to your home network and plugs directly into your TV and stereo system with standard digital or analog cables. You can then play your media files directly on your TV.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318

Good luck

3. rxt

rxt Member

Hey thanks for your reply.

I was told about Media Center 2005, is your method the same as that? better?

In the case I cant use wireless set, using long S-Video cable from PC to TV, does the length of cable effect video quality? like for explain the length of your internet cable effect the performance of your internet, would this work the same way?

4. behrad

behrad Regular member

most media center solutions would work pretty much the same.
    I know that Netgear also make some media center solutions and they are not too bad either.

Anytime, you have a long cable run, you will find problems with attenuation or signal loss. This problem gets worse if the signals are not designed to go over a long tail. For example, S video. The cable and the signal is not meant for a long haul as there will be too much signal loss. There are other cables that are designed to carry signal much further. for example, Cat 5/6 or Ethernet. The design of the simple blue Ethernet cable is such that it safely carries signal up to 100 meters.

And this brings me nicely to this point. If wireless is not an option, some media center devices can also except a simple Ethernet connection which gives them 100M connectivity to your PC and or Router. So for the extra trouble of running Ethernet, you can have a good fast connection with out interference from other wireless components.

good luck