1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with SM 3.6 + Slim Tool

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by mindtweak, Aug 10, 2005.

1. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

I just got my swap magic 3.6 and Slim Tools today and tried installing them into a slim ps2 bought last week. I ran into a problem with tool C though. It looks like sony has covered up the hole where it is supposed to go with a metal peice. The pictures will describe this better than i can with words.

I was able to get tool a and b in fine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But here you can see where there is metal where tool c should slid in:
    [​IMG]

And tool c itself.
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I've tried lightly lifting the metal peice without success. And I dont want to damage anything.

The ps2 runs fine with tools a and b installed and lets me lift the lid about an inch before recognizing the lid is open, so i might be able to use tweezers to switch discs, but id prefer to get tool c installed properly.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  2. jashsu

jashsu Regular member

3. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

Ok, I'm going to update the one pic because I guess I'm not making myself clear.

4. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  5. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

I found this info on http://www.swapmagic3.com

Magic Switch Pro V2 Release!!

You can see that a special small die(which is called Tool D)is added into the original Magic Switch Pro pack. This small die is specially designed for the latest model of PS2 Slim, such as, Ceramic White and Satin Silver. Since the "Tool C"(the biggest parts of the Magic Switch Pro) can not be inserted into the new model of PS2 Slim(Tool C can still insert into PS2 Slim old model, pls refer to the previouse news), you need to install Tool D instead of Tool C to load imported/backup games on PS2 Slim. Here is the installation guide of Tool D.
    http://www.swapmagic3.com/swap_magic_feature.htm#guide

6. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

Yea, I remember seeing that on their site as well. The problem is I dont have either the ceramic white or satin silver version. Its just a normal black one. Maybe sony has now changed the normal black ones as well. Either way I'm talking to the place I bought the slim tool from. I'm hopeing they will be able to help me out. At least send me something else that will work.

7. jashsu

jashsu Regular member

mindtweak: Hm yeah I guess if that metal piece isnt going to move out of the way then you're kinda screwed. Email the place you got your Swap Tools from and see if they'll send you a Part D.

8. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

Update:

The place I bought it from suggested I try installing my 'tool c' in the same manner as the magic switch 'tool c' is installed at this site here.

http://www.swapmagic3.com/Magic_Switch.htm

Can anyone verify this? I dont want my smaller 'tool c' getting stuck or lost in the hinge.

9. kris329

kris329 Member

Same issue here, any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

10. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

Do you have the exact same metal clip thats blocking 'tool c' kris329?

11. kris329

kris329 Member

Yep, how would I post the Pic???

12. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

Just take the picture with your digi cam and get it on the computer. Then upload it to a website like photobucket or supload. Then just post it on here.

It seems sony is cracking down on the non chip modding. I've just noticed the warrenty sticker is now covering a screw on the bottom as well. So you can no longer use the warranty sticker like a hinge if you open the ps2.

13. kris329

kris329 Member

The pic will look the same as yours, with that extra clip where
    tool C should go. I read that the following technique might work;

http://www.jspot.net/ps2.htm

14. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

Seems like it would work.. As long as part C is the only part you're have problems with.. I can't see why the Tape method wouldn't work for that one part...

15. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

Hmm that seems like a good idea, I'd just be worried about having to open the ps2 again every time the tape came lose.

Also Kris329, have you noticed that the warrenty sticker is now covering a screw on the bottom and you HAVE to now break it to open the ps2? You can't use it like a hinge like he does in that tutorial.

Damn you sony.

16. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

Oh yea, does anyone know if having the disk break blocked the hole time is a problem? You would think it was there to keep the disc spinning at a certain speed, but now that its blocked the disc would spin freely. Doesnt seem like a good idea, but I don't know for sure.

17. Yoshiride

Yoshiride Member

Ok this makes sense... i belive I have 2 models of the new slimline at home. The first one i busted sensor c when my ghost clip wouldn't fit.

1, has the sticker on the bottom and the metal cover next to sensor c. I ordered the "ghost clips" mod to install on the front sensor and sensor c. the front went in fine the back "cap" for sensor c would not fit. I repeatedly tried and eventually broke sensor c. :p
    2. I now have a ps2, that is more like the one discribed in the photo's. it has a sticker on the back with no metal cover by sensor c. I just got it so i have yet to open it and try to install the ghost clips.

18. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

FIXED!

Well kinda. I got impatient tonight and decided if the slim tool didnt work and I got a flip top lid I would have to break the warranty seal anyways to install it.

So tonight I broke the seal and opened my ps2. I found that the extra metal clip covering the hole for tool c is simply folded over sheet metal that is attached to the same piece as the curved metal piece behind it.

[​IMG]

So there is one screw holding the extra metal in place. I took it off and cut the extra metal clip with some metal scissors, then put it back in place. I then tested tool c where it should go and it fit perfectly.

Another thing I noticed while my ps2 was appart was that the disk break didnt have anything sensor wise attached to it. I'm not sure if this is the way it was before or if sony ditched the sensor with this new version.

So I put the ps2 back together, put tool a in place and tested with swap magic 3.6. I've tested 4 of my old game burns and they all worked perfectly. This was with only tool a and c installed, I didnt put tool b back in for the disk break.

The only problem I've had is tool c rubs pretty hard on the lid hinge that it is next to. So there is a squeeking sound and the lid is a little stiff to move. It's possible I just didnt cut enough of the metal clip off though.

So it looks like if you have one of these newer slim ps2's that you wont be able to mod it without breaking the warranty seal dispite what all the websites advertise for the slim tool. And if you do want to use the slim tool you will have to cut the extra metal piece off!

Hope this helps everyone else.

19. gr8_one

gr8_one Member

mindtweak: there is a guide for installing the slim tool for the new slimline PS2's that have that metal cover protection where tool C is supposed to go: http://www.console.com/product_ps2_pstwofix_silver.php

I am getting a slimline PS2 soon so I think the chances are that it would have that metal cover protection and I would have to open that metal cover with a screwdriver and pliers. How strong is that metal cover protection? It looks like it could easily be able opened.

You can also check out the new tool for slimline ps2 called MagicKeys and MagicKeys 2. It looks much easier to install and better then the slim tool. I have not used this tool so I dont know what it is like. You can check out the magic keys here: http://www.magickeys.net/

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  20. loubat

loubat Member

I've got a v13 slimline so I'd need either the magickey2 or do the cutting of sheet metal trick. Does anybody know how to use the magickeys 2? It looks like on their website that you'd have to reinsert the tool C key everytime you use it? Is that correct?