1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with SM 3.6 + Slim Tool

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by mindtweak, Aug 10, 2005.

1. mindtweak

mindtweak Member

gr8_one

Good info, its too mad I already cracked my ps2 open tho :)

At first I also thought it would be easy to just bend the metal up, but when i was using a screw driver to do it, it looked like i was doing more damage to the plastic by using it as leverage so I gave up. I also found the metal pretty stiff when I had the ps2 open and the piece out of the unit. You may have better luck though, but remember it looks like if you push back the metal and modify tool c the way shown in the guide, that you wont be able to get the piece back out without opening the ps2.

Good luck whatever you end up doing tho.

2. gr8_one

gr8_one Member

I guess people will have to be very careful if they will be lifting up that metal protection piece with a screwdriver as described in the guide. Make sure you don't lean the screwdriver on any parts of the plastic casing of the PS2 while lifting up that metal protection. Gently lift the metal protection towards the right as shown in the guide.

If anyone does not want to get rid of that metal protection piece or is having problems then the best solution is to use the magic keys 2 which are better then the slim tool and magic switch.

I found a few sites that sell the magic keys 1 that are for the slimline PS2 without the metal protection where tool C fits into but I could not find any UK or US sites that sell the magic keys 2 which are made for the new slimline PS2s that have that metal protection where tool C goes.

I emailed some of the UK sites (I live in the UK) to ask when they will have the magic keys 2 in stock and they told me that the magic keys 2 are a new tool released and they have them on order and should get them in a few days. But if you can't wait until then you could order them from these two sites: http://www.futura-online.com/e-tien...oducts_id/3334/name/magickeys+2+(scph-7000x)/ and http://www.chipspain.com/product_info.php?products_id=548 . The problem is that these two sites are located in Spain and the postage to us living outside of Spain will be too expensive. So just wait until magic keys 2 are released in your country. You could also email the websites you get your ps2 tools from that allow you to play backups and ask them when they will be getting the magic keys 2.

3. loubat

loubat Member

Yeah the few sites I saw that had them, were non-US and one said they'd be in on Sept 7th, but yeah postage would be awful. Still working on the straw method at the moment, so far no luck!

4. gr8_one

gr8_one Member

Update

I emailed the official Magic Keys 2 website http://www.magickeys.net/ 2 days ago and asked them if the tool really works and when will I be able to buy it from UK sites. I got the reply email today a short while ago and here is the message I got from them:

Hello,

Yes, MagicKeys 2 really works and they are the unique possibility to play backups without loosing the warranty of your PS2.

We just released this new product and there are UK shops interested in it but we will deliver in the following 2 weeks.
    So be patient 1-2 weeks and you will have the possibility to buy the MagicKeys 2 in the majority of UK online shops.

Kind regards,

www.magickeys.net

So if anyone is interested in the magic keys 2 tool for the new slimline PS2 with that horrible metal protection for tool C just wait about 2 weeks and you should see it being sold at your favourite PS2 online mod store.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  5. loubat

loubat Member

Ok, so I've kinda fixed the problem with the hole for Tool C being covered, but I want yall's advice on if it's going to cause problems down the road. I simply removed the metal piece all together. I opened up the ps2 and looked at the top. It looks like the little metal piece is only for the top to open and after removing it, the top still opens and closes with no problem. Now Tool C fits right in there, but I did have to snug it up to the edge where it's supposed to be (since the other metal piece behind it is now gone also). I can't see how removing this piece could actually affect the console (unless Tool C ever gets loose, but then I don't giggle my ps2 too much!).

I tested my backup of Burnout 3 and it works perfectly! Any thoughts?

Oh, and of course I had to void the warranty, since on these models, the sticker is on top of one of the screws, as mentioned earlier, but I'm not real worried about that since I'd have had to do it to install a modchip anyway, at least I didn't have to learn how to use a soldering iron!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  6. gr8_one

gr8_one Member

loubat

did you first try to push up that metal cover protection with a screwdriver as it shows in the above guide for installing the slim tool on the new slimline PS2 before opening up your PS2 and then removing the metal protection?

7. loubat

loubat Member

No, that seemed riskier and like more of a hassel than my fix. If I have any problems with it, I'll let everybody know!

8. larrabee

larrabee Member

I got the same problem. DO you know if these PS2's have the laser fix so the lens wont die on me if i open it up? This is my only worry.

thanks,
    kevin

9. gr8_one

gr8_one Member

larrabee

have you tried to follow the guide I posted earlier in this thread? It shows you how to remove that metal protection from the slimline ps2 with a screwdriver instead of opening up your PS2 and then trying to get rid of it which voids your warranty.

10. larrabee

larrabee Member

well, i tried this :

Well I broke the reset button. So I packaged it up, brought it to EB Games, (I had a warrenty) and said I wanted to return it.

The cashier said she could give me a used slim ps2, it would come with a 6 month warrenty and i'd actually get $15 back. So I did that, and I got a older model so I just put in fix 3 without a hitch.

I love extended warrenties

11. fatsfazul

fatsfazul Member

I know this a little of topic, but at this point I'm a little desperate. I got the slimtool swap magic combo, and now I can't install the slimtool. First and most importantly, how does one go about installing tool A? There is a little hook dealie in there that doesn't seem to want me to put tool A over it. I tried depressing the obstruction with a pin then placing tool A in while it was retracted, but that didn't do the trick. Please help me!!! Finally, I heard that the slim PS2 can be modded using nothing but tape. After struggling with slimtool for a few hours, I'm willing to open up the system, I just need to know what to once it's open. So, I bought slimtool and only one of the tools works (B)! I just hope that I can figure out how to use tool A , and then cover the micro switch dealie once I open the sucker up. If I'm missing anything, please let me know. HELP!!!!!

12. loubat

loubat Member

Which slimline model do you have? Is it one of the new ones with the hole for tool C covered or one of the older ones? And what is the exact name of the slim tools you bought? Mine was SlimKit Pro. I'm pretty sure they're all the same though, just different colors and whatnot.

My tool A fits perfectly. But you could always just tape the tool down to make sure it doesn't come off. As far as tool C goes, you could either try to pry the metal part up and modify tool C (as described earlier in this thread), or if you don't mind voiding your warrenty you could do like I did, and just take the metal piece out all together. I've yet to notice any problem because it's not there.

13. fatsfazul

fatsfazul Member

The slimtool kit I have is simply referred to as "slimtool", however it is exactly the same mold as PStwo Fix. Oh yeah, I have the slim line PS2 type that has the extra sheet metal in place where tool C is supposed to go. That being said, what I'm really concerned about is HOW to get tool A into place. Does it need to angled in any particular way, because I don't see how it can be done when the hook shaped sensor dealie is blocking the hole, preventing a perfect fit. Any help whatsoever would be most appreciated, thanks alot.

14. loubat

loubat Member

What happens when you put tool A in? Does the little hook kick it out or what? Tool A (in my kit) is exactly the right size to fit in the hole in the bottom righthand corner and the little hook doesn't put up a fight or anything. Again, if Tool A just refuses to stay in play, I'd just go buy some electrical tape and tape it down to the plastic around it.

15. fatsfazul

fatsfazul Member

The hook doesn't really kick it out or anything, it just prevents tool A from fitting in the hole snugly, or even going in at all. Basically, regardless of whether I simply place tool A on top of the hole, or press down on it with all my might, it won't go in. One question I have now is: What exactly am I doing by putting these tools in place? At this point I have pretty much given up on slimtool and am now hoping to find some information on how to change things inside my console in the same way as the tools would, but without their usage. Basically, I am just asking for help from anyone who would be able to tell me how take care of business with nothing but tape and steady hands once the console is open. Thanks alot.

16. gr8_one

gr8_one Member

hmmm... most people have problems with fitting tool C in but you are having problems fitting in tool A. I found the guide that shows you how to use the tape mod which uses tape and straws to block the PS2 sensors so that the PS2 does not detect your lid is opened when you try to swap disks. You do not have to open up your PS2 with this guide. Here is the tape mod guide: http://www.geocities.com/scorcci/tutoriais/pstwo_easy_mode.html I hope it helps you.

17. josebest

josebest Member

18. fyusuf1

fyusuf1 Member

if i purchase the magic keys 2..would any one will be willing to buy them of me...i'll be auctioning them of on ebay.

19. gr8_one

gr8_one Member

20. miyagi4q

miyagi4q Member

hi ive been having same problem as you did what a headache that was? i opened up ps2 to cover the sensor put it back together switched on still wasnt doing anything apart from this time there was aqn error on the browser screen i left it half hour tried fifa 2006 but i had to take tape off sensor??? is a flip lid easier solution to all this as the warranty void stickers already come off??