Need some HD help

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Brossy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Brossy

Brossy Member

This is my player

http://www.soniqav.com/Qplay.php?mdm=41cb6520a19816ff3da6dc458f5f9aa9

I have a 42 inch Panasonic plasma. When I plug this DVD player in with component, the highest output I can get is 576p.

My mum just got a new 40 inch LCD tv, and has her dvd plugged in with component. I'm not sure of the output mode, but my god does it look sexy. I want that sort of quality!!!

I'm positive my tv is better, but I think the problem is my dvd player not being able to output hi-def through the component cables.

It does have a HDMI output, and options for setting the HDMI modes to 720p and 1080i, so basically my main question is, will this DVD player ONLY do HD through HDMI and not component?

Thanks for any help

2. byngo

byngo Regular member

without looking at your model specifically,
    Most, if not all dvd players with HDMI will only upscale via HDMI.
    You should also remeber to choose the upscalled resolution which is closest to the native resolution of your panel.
    Ie if your TV's native res is 1366 x 768 you would choose to upsacle to 720P because this leaves very little scaling for the TV to do to fill the remaining pixels.

3. Brossy

Brossy Member

Thanks a lot for that.

I've ordered a HDMI cable, so hopefully that will do the trick.

I just kinda freaked a little when the Xbox 360 didn't work either... but then read the dvd player in it doesn't display higher than 480p.

Mum's DVD player is old, like, older than HDMI, so I guess that's why it does HD through component.

Kinda stupid that my player has a component output, but can only do SD through it.

4. byngo

byngo Regular member

i have a panasonic DVR which only upscales via HDMI.
    I gues they reckon if you have plumped for the HDMI model the underlying reason is you have or will be buying a HD TV with a HDMI input.
    Also, if your Mom's player is old, are you sure it can upsacle?
    Are there any menu settings on it for that? Maybe its just a better player? there are visible differences in performance you know.

One more piece of advice.
    You will probably find that when your player and TV are not the same make, there will be no HDAV control (HDMI auto switching)
    For me, and convienience to wife when I'm not at home this means connecting a scart aswell so the TV auto switches to the scart input but when I get the chance to hold the remote, I know which buttons to press to select HDMI input you see.

5. Brossy

Brossy Member

See, I'm not sure what it was doing, but it looked amazing. Not the picture, but the movement. It looks as if there's twice as many frames. It moves like, ultra fluid.

I figure my player will be able to do it, as her player is at least 3 years old, if not more. It was before HDMI was even around!

I wanted component because of my Yamaha amp. It has component inputs, but not HDMI, so it means I'll have to use TV av for picture and amp for sound, instead of the one button on the amp controlling both, which is how I've got the xbox and VCR, and the DVD player setup at the moment.

Basically, it's driving me insane, haha. I've got my HDMI cable coming in a few days, but in the mean time, there's 2 things I can do. 3 actually. Take my dvd player over there and plug it in with component, bring her DVD player here and plug it in with component, and plug her dvd in with composite at her house. That way I'll be able to see exactly what TV and what player does what!

For reference, this is Mum's Tv: http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/lcdtv/la40r81bd.asp?page=Specifications

And this is mine:
    http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=3834

I'll get her DVD model later, but like I said, it's OOOOLLLLLD.

6. Brossy

Brossy Member

Ok, bad news. I tried Mum's player on my TV, didn't do the fluid movement thing!!!

The highest I could get the picture was 480p/576p. The picture looked great, as did the colour, but I didn't get the ultra fluid motion I saw on Mum's tv.

Does LCD really play DVDs better than plasma?

I can't really explain exactly what I mean, but the best way to put it is that on Mum's it looked like there were more frames of animation. It was just so much smoother.

The actual picture and everything else on my TV is better, I just want DVDs to look as good!

7. byngo

byngo Regular member

Sorry, I only have LCD but I thought the general concensus on Plasma was that it produces a "softer" Standard Definition picture which to me would mean SD tv has the potential to look a little better.
    I can only add that I am very pleased with the picture processing that my Toshiba LCD does.
    Are you using as good a quality cabling as your Mom and watching the same DVD?
    On your point about AV AMP connections, I had considered upgrading my amp to one with HDMI, but then realised that 98% of them only handle the video signal over HDMI and not the audio stream.
    This means I would still need a digital audio connection, and with HDMI connections usually not auto switching, I would have to turn the TV over to the HDMI input anyway.
    The only gain would be if I were short of HDMI connections but im not