Need some help finding/choosing DVD Burner for laptop.

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Niobis, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Hello.

Okay, so I'm needing some assistance in finding and choosing a good DVD Burner for my laptop. I've searched a few sites here an there, but the slim type drives are not that easily found, plus I'd like a few opinions since I'm sure others know more about DVD Burners than I do. So if anyone could be nice enough to help me out I might send you e-cookie. :D I'd say the price they(yeah I'm not buying) are willing to pay is about $70-110 USD. Hoping I can find something decent for those prices. :)

My specs, if they are needed:

Alienware Area-51m 5500
    1.73 GHz Processor
    512 RAM
    Windows Media Center Edition 2005

Any assistance is very appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hey Niobis
    Well laptop burners - just my 2 cents but not as good as their counterparts. Also as you've seen not as many options.
    Just don't have the stamina as the 'regular' drives in a tower.

I will be needing a new one too for my laptop but 1st will go the external burner route - may want to look at that opinion.
    Normally I would recommend LiteOn or Plextor but laptops different ball game :)

Check out some of these at newegg. The Sony is an oem LiteOn. Looking thru the reviews of these drives - pretty hit or miss.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010100005+1036508673&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=5

3. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Hello binkie7, actually, I love the idea of getting an external burner. That way I can have 2 drives, plus I won't have to open the case. :) I was looking at a LiteOn external on TigerDirect, but I don't know much about burners so I decided to ask. Got any recommendations for an external?

Thanks for the link, but I have one question. Does it matter if it is 'IDE' or 'ATAPI'? Will either be compatible?

4. binkie7

lol - I know the feeling about opening the case on a laptop :) The screws on mine are so small I'd probably strip them before I got them out.

IDE/ATAPI are basically the same thing. The drive will connect using the ide channel. So will be compatible.

For the external I'm looking at this 2 -leaning more towards the 2nd one (newer model). Just waiting for the xmas bit :)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1336&SubCategory=420

Plextor are great too - but they're almost 3x as much as a LiteOn.
    My experience w/ LiteOn over the past few years has been very good so for their prices I think I'll stay w/ them for now.

5. Niobis

Niobis Active member

I'm liking the top one a lot. :) Right now, it's on top my list, but I'm going to continue to look around some more on my own also. Thank you a lot for the links. When I make a choice, I'll let you know before I purchase and get your opinion if that's alright.

Edit: what do you think about Kanguru, any good? They have some sexy looking drives. :)

Also, you said slim type's didn't last long, does that also apply for external? 'Cause I found this: which I absolutely love the look.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2149200&CatId=0
    Your opinions on that one...?

Thanks again.

6. binkie7

Not a problem Niobis :)
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you on the ole laptop one needing to be replaced at some point. The burners in the pc's are fine but would still like a better one for the laptop. (less problematic)

Kanguru - that's a new one! Looks like they don't always make their own drives - 1 made by NEC another by Pioneer:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters...om=&bdrom=&orderby=Name&hits=50&Search=Search

No experience w/ the external slim line drives - the last external I had took a licking :) I would think though that is probably better than the slimline for laptops but could be wrong. It's also $20 cheaper at newegg btw.

7. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Hmm, but they are pretty. :)

Oh my...it is, lol. Thanks a lot for that, 'cause I think if I don't find anything else I'll go with the slim LiteOn...maybe. Choices, choices. :) But I will let you know what I choose.

Much appreciated binkie!

Edit: on second thought, after reading the reviews, I don't want the slim. Many say you're giving up speed for the smallness. I'll pass...

8. binkie7

lol - that's why you like the 1st LiteOn instead of the 'bland' 2nd one:)

I'm more into the speed thing reason I knocked the slim external out - only 8x max on it - the other maybe less 'sexy' do 16x :)

9. Niobis

Niobis Active member

See my above edit about the slim, if you didn't. :)

Yeah, I want speed, but I also want it to look good. Appearance is a factor for me, but it isn't top priority.

10. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Okay, I think I've made my mind up, and you sold me. :)

After looking at eBay and finding nothing and searching Froogle I've found the two externals in the link are the best choices. Initially, as I stated appearance is a factor, but there's something I really like about the one you prefer(SHM-165P6SX)-it supports LightScribe. The one I liked(SOHW-1673SU) does not. SHM-165P6SX only being $13 more than the other(after mail-in rebate) is worth it, I think.

So binkie, you've sold me mate. I've talked it over with the person buying it for me(my X-mas gift :D ) and they said "okay". So I guess it is official-I'm getting the LITE-ON Black Model SHM-165P6SX.

I will bookmark this thread and I will post my 'review' of what I think about it when I receive the gift. :)

Once again, thank you very much for your help, opinions, and expertise. I really appreciate it! With out you, I probably would have purchased a piece of crap that would have lasted about as long as I could burn one movie. :D

11. binkie7

Not a problem there Niobis
    My laptop drive has lightscribe (another reason I was looking at that LiteOn model) but I've never used it - to leary it would finally push the burner over the edge :)

Keep me posted on the LiteOn definitely - I need to get one too but won't be until right after Xmas (I never let people buy me stuff like this - they always get it wrong so you are lucky there!)

12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

binkie7- yeah !

Kinda in a similar but different boat !- Bought a Compaq at wallyworld 11/05/06 - had'nt opened it yet , was waiting to see if could get a better deal /laptop for same or similar price ? Bestbuy had a Hp with lightscribe burner but sold out on thursday ! Compaq comes with combo drive only DVD-ROM /CDR -Burner .Not a Dvd Witer ! I contacted Compaq/ Hp & they say the Model I have will support a DVD Writer /burner but only recommend theirs & the price they quoted was nearly as much as the laptop ! I reaserched the slim internal models ( for laptops ) @ Newegg but can't get a straight answer as to what will work ! & I take it from your discussion with Niobis that you don't put much faith laptop burners ? Being this is my first laptop I'm not really familiar with laptop drives , Externals & desktop internals I'm a little more familiar with ! having 2 nec's & a Benq to fidlle about with ! My only gripe with the externals for laptop use is if your going to be mobile ( A laptop's Best atribute ) toting around a heavy external burner defeats that purpose does it not ? But I suppose one could simply use the combo drive DVD-ROM /CDR Writer to rip your dvd to the laptop or external HDD and then burn it with the external burner correct ! So in theory one could leave the external home with the desktop and burn to it from the laptop as need? What do you think ? from reading your post you seem pretty knowlegeable about things Computer ,Dvd & tech wise! Well thanks for listening & Happy Holidays !

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  13. binkie7

lol somewhat knowledgeable on pc stuff and dvd stuff - I have my moments:)

If you really want a burner in that laptop I would exchange it for one that has one instead of putting one in- alot of them now come w/ burners.
    Putting one in yourself might void any warranty you have on the laptop. Plus wait til you see the back of them - ain't no tower :) and not alot of room.

External though may just be the way to go - you can rip and play them on the laptop then burn later w/ an external. You'd still be mobile:)

My experience along w/ some of my friends is they wear out sooner and some of them have almost no support when it comes to firmware on the oem drives.
    Not a whole heck of alot of air circulation w/ a laptop and that's part of the problem.
    I would highly recommend a cooling pad - that at least still gets the air going some.

Happy holidays to you too!!

14. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Food For thought ! thanks for the help !binkie7 - Enjoy your h0lidays & again thanks !

15. binkie7

You too BIGTOXY69 :)

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. I'll keep you posted on my external bit too but that will be a few weeks away!

16. gecko3500

gecko3500 Member

This is for Niobis and Binkie7. What external DVD burner did you eventually decide to go with or are you still looking? If you already received the burner, how have they performed so far? I'm looking for an external for a laptop that will be able to backup my DVDs and PS2 games. I will also be willing to pay a little more and upwards to $150, Please respond whenever able as I have limit knowledge of DVD burners.

17. gecko3500

gecko3500 Member

One other thing I forgot to mention. I have USB 1.0 which I guess makes a difference. I will be buying a new Desktop in a year or so and just want something that will work in the meantime.

18. binkie7

Hi gecko3500
    No haven't picked up one yet - will right after Xmas. It will more than likely be a LiteOn unless I get alot of Best Buy gift cards :)

Do you have a 1.1 usb? If you do may be kinda hard to find drives that will support that. They would be much slower than 2.0 usb.
    Might want to look at upgrading the pci card too if you have 1.1.

Have a firewire connection by chance? You can look in device manager to see if you do.
    Right click on my computer>properties>hardware>device maanger. See if you IEEE 1394 bus controller listed there.

19. gecko3500

gecko3500 Member

What do you know of the Plextor PX-750UF? It was highly recommended to me from someone.

20. binkie7

Plextor is known as the 'king of burners' but the PX-750UF is one of the few models that Plextor doesn't make themselves - this one is made by TEAC or BenQ.
    That's about the most I can tell you.