Need Suggestions on Car Audio

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by solargame, Mar 6, 2009.

1. solargame

solargame Regular member

Hey guys, I was planning on getting a system in my car and was curious what the best In Dash Headunit you would recommend is, price range is up to 200 dollars. Also, what is the best set of speakers for a fair price, no more than 175 dollars. Finally, if you could, is there a good subwoofer you can purchase that is under 100 bucks but still provides good quality?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

hey solargame

car audio guys are usually pretty loyal to their products, and that also means there's usually many different opinions.

I have used many different head units, and time and time again I always find that alpine by far makes the best ones. As far as door speakers, I really like infinity or polk. for subwoofers, you can't beat JL Audio. Their bottom of the line v1 series are around $100. Their higher level ones, like the v7 and v8 are really only for competition. i have a 10" v1 sub with a 300 watt alpine amp in a sealed QLogic box for my explorer, and I was blown away.

I'd recommend going to crutchfield's website to read other reviews and get an idea of the different models. Then you can go to a retail store like Best Buy, get your hands (and ears) on the gear to see what you like, then you can find them online for usually cheaper than retail stores. By doing a little homework you can easily match up a decent setup and save some money.

3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I like Alpine also but there heatunits aren't as good as they were several years ago being there made in mexico now instead of the USA. Pioneer and Kenwood are both good choices for headunits and priced less than Alpine. Polk and JL audio both are great speakers. JL audio makes great subwoofers along with MTX. JL is a good choice for amps also

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

ya know I used to like kenwood head units also. I had a couple of their high end eXcelon ones. I like them because they do have many many more features and options than the alpine, but i still think alpine is superior when it comes to audio quality and the THD of their built in amplifiers. yeah from what a recall MTX and JL Audio are both the kings of subwoofers.

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

OMG holy crap buddy! Thats just insane. what kind of amp(s) are you using to power that? Don't you need independent batteries and capacitors and a seperate alternator to run sledgehammers? I don't consider those subwoofers. More like miniature earthquakes LOL.

7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

a 1000 watt mono JL amp runs it fine.

no extra battery just a 150 amp alternator. i use a 0/1 gauge wire for the power from the amp to the battery

8. RippDogg

RippDogg Regular member

Whatever happened to Blaupunkt? Are they still around? Decent stuff?

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yup there still around i don't think the product is as good as it was in the mid 80s