1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NES Emulator for PS3 via BD-J Format released

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Jlhfit, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Active member

Bu-nyan has coded the first Nintendo emulator in BD-J format for the PlayStation 3, dubbed "PS3Filer Ver 0.0.3".

This java application has basic key input through the SixAxis controller. There isn't sound yet, but this is a good start.

This application also displays PNG, JPEG and GIF files.

Download (PS3Filer Ver 0.0.3)

Check the video where it shows the Super Mario Bros. ROM running at decent speed.

Jb-LLqnfcCI

To quote: I found out earlier today that this a NES emulator! Here is how to get it running.

1. Download the file

2. Extract the the folder in the compressed file to the main root of a USB device or memory stick

3. Place the ROMs you would like to play into the main folder you have just extracted to the root

4. Go to the Video section in the XMB on your PS3

5. You will need to click the USB or memory stick you have chosen

6. Select the BD-J homebrew game

7. Next, you will be brought to a file viewer in which, you may choose ROMs

8. Now the game will start. Press the triangle button then go to the numeric pad

9. The 1 on the pad stands for select and the 2 acts as start

10. You may now press triangle and enjoy the game

2. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

Sick, since the java runs off of the PS OS that means it can get full cell and rsx access correct? So wouldnt that make it possible to use more demanding emulators like gba or ds?

3. alex131

alex131 Guest

This is so ridiculous. Why are these asshats always asking about how to get their PS3s online when stuff like this is happening? Thanks for keeping us updated Jlhfit. I appreciate people knowing what's going on around here.

4. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Active member

yeah no prob.. I been kinda disappointed lately too. Too many noobs steady asking how to config there PS3's, add themes,play movies,music..blah blah....

5. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

6. TieClark

TieClark Member

What games are included? Also, with this news, how much longer do yout think it will take to fully crack the ps3, allowing the ability to back-up games?

7. Bawango

Bawango Regular member

Am I the only one not getting any sounds when playing ROMS? I've played 1943, Bionic Commando and there was no sound at all. Did I skip a step?

8. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

to the poster above me..^^

thanks for this info, gonna try it now, just put NES emulator on the ipod touch, now my ps3 thanks :)

9. H08

H08 Guest

10. Bawango

Bawango Regular member

Never mind. Just read the "there's no sound yet" part.

11. storm45

storm45 Member

i tried this but when i click on a ROM to play it i just get a black screen with white writing, any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

12. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

All three marios worked for me, tysons punchout did not however, gonna try a new rom but dont see that being the problem.

13. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Awesome! Thanks!

We should keep this thread active for when updates are made concerning titles that do or don't work etc.

14. storm45

storm45 Member

can someone please send me a link or something to ROMS that 100% work? i tried a few but none of them seem to work, just black screen with white writing. I would appreciate it if any one coule send me Mario Kart that works. Thank you.

15. cazer

cazer Regular member

i cant get this to work. i used a sd card and in the xmb under sd memory card when i press x it tells me there is nothing . when i tell it to display all it shows me avchd folder. then when i press x i get a bdmv an a certificate folder. downloaded ps3filer twice and have tried this so many ways. can you help?

16. evolmindz

evolmindz Regular member

such a powerful system and people going crazy over an nes rom lol what a waste

17. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

That's because a) you obviously don't appreciate the term "classic," b) you don't realize the full technological ramifications of this, and c) you're not putting enough thought into it.

Think about it. If someone manages to emulate an NES on the PS3, then it becomes that much more likely that another someone (or the same someone) will be able to emulate an SNES... and then more, and more, and then hey, figure that, it might even allow you to play PS1 and PS2 backups without having to resort to extreme measures.

18. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Active member

Sometimes the little things, such as this, are the gateways to something better... You may not like it, but atleast appriciate it and respect what these guys do. Obviously your a late bloomer...

19. evolmindz

evolmindz Regular member

how is this a matter of like or dislike? just my opinion thats all. i have a ps3 and i gave up waiting for the system to be cracked so at this point i find it comical that people are doing backflips that you can finally play nes roms on this amazing powerful system lol.

20. alex131

alex131 Guest

Isn't your opinion what you like or dislike? Please note that this isn't really a crack. The PS3 is made to run BD-J applications because they will further the advancement of blu-ray features. The person who made this worked very hard on the emulator and with his knowledge of sony's BD-J functionality, was able to port it to the PS3 for us. We're excited about being able to play dope NES games but also because it will soon help us use more of this powerful system.