network bandwith limiting

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DMW, Apr 10, 2004.

1. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi guys, this is one for you network guys.

My network consists of.....my machine, used for video encoding, general web use and games playing....2nd machine, used for visitors web use and also games playing....mini server, for running lan games and hosting game patches for friends ease of use.

All machines run windows xp and are connected to an 8port switch, then share an ADSL connection through Smoothwall (Linux distro firewall).

My problem is, when i am on my machine just surfing or checking e-mails everything is fine. If i start playing a game and i have anyone on my 2nd machine, the game is not affected, if they however start to stream a video or start a big download, my game goes to s**t !!

I was going to put a proxy app on my mini server and use this as the gateway for the 2nd machine, then put on a bandwith limiter and limit the proxy app, final application, they can only get what i allow :))
    The flaw in this that i see is that if they install Kazza or a media player that i havent specified the gateway in then it will not work.

I tried setting the gateway under tcp/ip settings and then tried internet radio in media player, it didnt work.

Does anyone know a way i can do this??

Sorry if i have not been clear, anything your unsure on ask and i'll try again.

All help appreciated as always.

regards...

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Have a look at Bandwidth Controller:
    http://bandwidthcontroller.com/

Read the Support/FAQ etc area to see if it is what you need.

30-day trial available.

I use it myself, recommended (if it is what you want).

Have Fun...

3. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

try a program called "netLimiter" (v 1.25) i have it and it works great for me

4. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi guys, thanks for the replys.

@aXidburn, I use Netlimiter on my main machine for fixing most bandwith limits, but if i put it on my 2nd machine its easily closed, and Id have to keep checking it and limiting any new programs people put on. P2P and music streaming is my main concern.

@drchips, After reading some of your other posts I thought youd reply to a networking question, Im going to give that prog a try, I downloaded it, just need to install it. Looks great on their site though, fingers crossed i can just limit the MAC address of the card and hey presto, roberts your fathers brother!

Well, thanks again guys, AD peeps keep the knowledge flowing.

NB: thanks for the heads-up aXidburn, didnt realise netlimiter had a new version, I'm still on 0.91 Beta 3 :))

take it easy.

5. drchips

drchips Active member

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

There are also some scripts for Smoothwall for bandwidth limiting and QoS. That would probably be the easiest, set the traffic rules at the firewall instead of having to install things that could be disabled or turned off on the client machine.

http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1817