Network config for Xbox to PC - Tried everything, no FTP! Guidance please!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by OldGrim, Nov 9, 2005.

1. OldGrim

OldGrim Member

I suck at network configurations, but after looking at countless guides and forums I'm pretty sure I'm not a total newbie, I understand how to setup everything, and have tried every combination, but obviously I'm missing something, because FTP never works for me properly.
    I'm having problems with connecting my PC to my Xbox at the moment, but I've always had problems networking my computers. Ages ago I hooked up 2 PCs directly to a FBR-1412TX router, and also hooked up a laptop to one of the PCs with a crossover cable. But when file sharing with all three, I could only take files from the shared computer, but could not send files to it. But I gave up and accepted it as good enough, I mention this now because I'm sure it's connected to the reason why I can't get my xbox to connect to the pc with the same crossover cable.
    I have all of the ip addresses right, tried static and dhcp, can't connect on either end. Know how to navigate Evox and trying to use FlashFXP, connection always fails.
    Have no firewalls running, have pccillin but firewall is off and no difference when not running program either, tried port forwarding in router setup countless times with multiple configurations from all the guides I've read, and guessing, but to no avail.
    But if I can't access the xbox from the PC end then there's no way I can backup the game onto my pc is there?
    Trust me I've spent days and days googling and reading everything, either I need some network genius to help me here, or I've missed something ridiculously simple, regardless I'd be eternally greatful if someone can lead me in the right direction so I can get this right once and for all. Thanks.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

http://www.teammodders.com/viewtopic.php?t=714
    http://www.teammodders.com/viewtopic.php?t=403
    http://www.teammodders.com/viewtopic.php?t=487
    http://www.teammodders.com/viewtopic.php?t=128
    hope those may help you.
    i could not connect myself when first setting it up.
    had all the IP addresses and everything just right like you said.
    My problems was that i did not set up the networking on the PC
    correctly. If your main connection is not set up
    with "connection sharing" then it will not work. one of those shows you how to fix that if you don't already have that set up. Don't know
    as you did not specifically mention it.
    Those guys helped me out a bunch. I am well versed in PS2 but
    new to the Xbox scene.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  3. OldGrim

OldGrim Member

Thanks for your help. Although I'd already looked at most of those guides. I managed to gain access to the xbox by fixing the default gateway, now that my brain is refreshed, just needed sleep. So FTP is fine to backup games so I'm happy.
    Still have problems with gaining two way file sharing and using ICS without killing my connection, but I'll ask about that on a networking forum.
    Cheers.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

is your network on the PC set up for connection sharing?
    i know i had everything set up and still had no luck.
    connection always failed. Then i was told how to do that
    and it worked great. But i am strait from Xbox to PC,
    no router.

5. OldGrim

OldGrim Member

NO, when I turn Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) on I lose access to the internet for some reason, even though the connection says it is fine.