Network printing problem ???????

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wavewuver, Aug 28, 2003.

1. wavewuver

wavewuver Member

I have 2 PC's. My primary one is a 2.4ghz machine with a printer (non USB) connected. My secondary PC is a 233mhz machine that is networked via ethernet cable to my other PC (no hub). I'm running XP Pro on both. My printer is a HP 890C.

I have been able to transfer files and settings, but I can't print from my secondary PC. It does generate a print queu, but nothing cmoes out at the printer. Later on I get an error message that says my item failed to print.

I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. acidburnn

acidburnn Guest

Try doing this in the order that I wrote it:

1. Restart the server

2. Open the Printers folder by clicking Start button, selecting Settings and then clicking Printers.

3. Click the File menu and select Server Properties.

4. Click the Drivers tab.

5. If there are Alternative drivers (such as for Windows 95, 98, or Me) installed on the server, highlight those drivers and click Update.

6. Click Yes in the Print Server Properties dialog that appears on-screen.

7. In the Printer Drivers dialog that appears, click Browse and navigate to the location (CD-ROM – Hard Disk Directory) and select the OEMSETUP file, and click Open.

8. Click OK in the Printer Drivers dialog box.

9. After the drivers have completed updating, click the driver listing for the Windows 2000 & NT4 drivers.

10. Click Update.

11. Follow the instructions in Steps 6 through 9 above.

12. Click Close in the Server Properties window.

13. Open the Printer properties by right clicking on the printer icon and selecting Properties.

14. Click the About tab. Verify that the driver version displayed is correct.

15. Click the General tab, then the Print Test Page button.

16. Click the Device Settings tab. Verify that the device settings are correct. If they are not correct, reset the device settings.

17. Close the Printer properties dialog by Clicking OK.

18. Repeat steps 1, 2, 15, 16, and 17 for the secondary computer.

After doing this post what happened.

3. wavewuver

wavewuver Member

I'll try this this evening...thanx for the help

4. wavewuver

wavewuver Member

Got to step 5, but I don't have alt. drivers. I don't need them (i think) cause i'm only using XP Pro on both PC's.

At step 14, I didn't have an "about tab" to click on.

To be honest, i'm totally confused at this point, and tired as well.

I know my PC's are networked since I can access the internet from both. Why I can't print, ????????? ...beats me.

I'll try again tomorrow....

5. acidburnn

acidburnn Guest

If you don't have an about tab then click the details tab. If you don't have a details tab then just look ariund for the driver version.

6. acidburnn

acidburnn Guest

Also what kind of connection do you have(for the printer)parrallel or serial.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2003
  7. wavewuver

wavewuver Member

I think it's a serial port.

My host PC is brand new. It has an Intel mobo and a 2.4ghz processor. Does that help.

Sorry, i'm a beginner at this stuff.

8. acidburnn

acidburnn Guest

Make sure that your serial connection is not disabled in your BIOS. Also try using a different cable, it might be a faulty cable.