Networking for dummies :))

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by duttch, May 31, 2005.

1. duttch

duttch Member

Help - I would like info on what would be best network option for me and what i would need?cost?

I have 3 pc's - 2 located in a shed/room located outside and seperate of the house. The other pc is located in the house.
    I have just got a broaband connect ADSL and would like to network it all toether, also like to play games/large files over the network.

?HOW? ?BEST WAY? ?Speed? How much (roughly will it cost)

do i need
    3 10/100Ethernet pci cards
    1 10/100 5 or 4 port switch
    run cable from shed/room along my phone line cable to main house to the other pc in the house only a few meters away?

???not sure???

wireless is alittle costly but how much for a wireless setup

hopes this makes some kind of sense :)

thanks for any advice/help

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I recommend Linksys.

You would need a wireless router and 2 wireless pci cards.

Hook the router up to your modem. Run ethernet from your router to your home pc. and install a wireless pci card in both pcs in the shed :)

4. ico26

ico26 Member

Dutch i have a linksys wireless system and also wired lan via cat5e in my house. If your gonna transfer large files your gonna want wired if your into the whole speed of transfer thing. But if speed don't matter wireless is the way to go!. just so you know it really doesn't cost that much for wireless setup and your gonna avoid the running of a wire from your house to shed/room. If your gonna go wired all you need is one cat5 line out to it into a switch then just hook up however many puters or gaming systems you want within reason.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

it's a shame you already got an adsl modem as you could have got an all-in-one device -

i cut out the middle man and bought an ADSL Router with built in 4-Port (4x 10/100Mbps ports) Switch. Also has built-in NAT, DHCP server blah blah blah. Best thing i ever bought as only need 1 device instead of loads of different bits of kit; less than £50 plus shipping

http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVUDLYZU93ygJVYKOhST9vhLP...

- each pc would only need it's onboard network connection to feed into the router, but if they don't have network onboard then you'd only need a cheapy network card in each pc;

or stick with the other guys' suggestions..

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I agree with all

Linksys is the best i have linked 3 desktops and one note book and its mad :)