Networking issues

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jam4, Jun 21, 2004.

1. jam4

jam4 Member

I'm having trouble getting a desktop to be seen on my home network. I currently have a desktop running xp home and a laptop running xp pro networking alright. But when I try to add my other desktop (xp home), I can sometimes see the computer from my laptop, but when I try to access it, it says I don't have priviledges. I'm sure I'm logged on as the administrator... I've tried this through it's wireless card and a crossover cable with the same results.... If I click on 'network places' on the problematic desktop, it often times out with an error message.... I've tried reinstalling the networking software from the windows home cd. Any thoughts? much appreciated.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Did you enable file sharing on the computer you can't access? Do you have any firewall programs or is the firewall within XP enabled?

3. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Hey

Click Start -> Run -> and type cmd

now type ipconfig

Under IP address, chances are if its a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx that is ur problem, if its a 192.168.x.xxx it should work.

Like flip218 said, make sure you have enabled file sharing otherwise u will not be able 2 access it and it will give u that error.

If you double click 'My Network Place' and on the left hand side click 'Set-up a home or small office network' run through that.

Regards
    CoZZa

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Make sure you have a user account on the remote (XP Home) PC that has the same username and password as the one you're logged into when you try to access it. The laptop sends your current login information and the desktop uses that to determine your permissions. This is called pass through authentication.

For example, on each of my computers, my login is named Rich and they all use the same password. When I connect to a remote resource, Windows sends my login information (username: Rich / Password: whatever) and the remote computer checks to see if there's a user with those credentials that has access to use the resource. If there is it lets me use it, but if there isn't it tells me access denied.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  5. jam4

jam4 Member

thanks to everyone for great responses. As of now, my computer is down during a move, but out the responses below, i can say the following.
    1. flip218 - I have one folder on the remote desktop that I can't access set up as file sharing just to test the file transfer process. The firewall in XP was not setup when I finally found it, but I remember having trouble finding it - meaning it wasn't in the place that windows help center told me it was. I think I only found it after removing my LAN from the bridge? Does that make sense?
    2. coZZa - I did run through the 'setup network places' thing and it worked fine. Same workgroup was reconfirmed. I remember seeing an IP address but was unable to ping it?
    3. vurbal - the permissions aspect is interesting b/c I know my new PC is named "HTPC" while my laptop is something else that I can't remember. I usually have only one logon to each computer so that I don't have to choose each time I boot. Even so, they should all have the same username and password?

thanks again everyone.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Yes, the username and password should be the same (not the computer name - those need to be different), and make sure if you change the password on one that you change it on both.

7. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Bridging is when you 'Bridge' to Network interfaces, eg if you have 2 Network Cards in the system, it bridges them together as one.

What was the IP address...[/quote]

go into IPCONFIG and write down the IP Addresses for all of the comptuers... are they all 192.xxx.xxx.xxx or 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ???

Regards
    CoZZa