1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Newbie" question...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by jwhitaker, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwhitaker

jwhitaker Member

First off, sorry for what may seem like a newbie question, but I want to make sure that I have all the required information before making a decision, and After Dawn seems to be the place with the best brains...

I recently purchased a new Wii, much to the delight of my family. After connecting it to the Internet I found there was a new update available, so I installed it (about a week ago).

I am now looking into a hardware mod for the Wii, in particular the no-solder Drivekey (here). Before I purchase one I have some questions though please.

1) Will this work with the latest system update?
    2) Will I still be able to access the Internet through my Wii, in particular the soon-to-be released BBCi Player channel?
    3) Is there any chance that I will brick my Wii (my family would kill me if this happens)?
    4) Will it work fine with backups of games I already own (to save my discs from damage of course)?
    5) Will I be able to load backups in the normal way, ie. through the Wii menu, without the need for any software installs?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered. I have searched through these forums and found a lot of confusing information, and it's starting to make my head spin a little.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out, and sorry to anyone this thread annoys...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

I believe it works fine with the new system update, I've got one and I love it, It just plugs into the drive easy as that. You will need a certain screw driver that I think they sell with it.

My wii still runs the internet, and although I haven't updated it to the newest firmware, I doubt that it will make any difference, as the drive key is a hardware mod and not a software mod.

I'm pretty sure you can't brick your wii from doing this, like I said before, it's not a software mod

Backups will run fine and will load through the wii menu as if it were the actual commercial disc

Hope it helps.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.