1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice List of DVD Media and Codes

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DogBomb, Feb 3, 2005.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

after 1000s of burns i can attest to leaving internet running during the burn (but i won't actually use the net while burning), i leave my antivirus running (Mcafee), then i don't touch the PC whilst it's burning. Every time i've used the PC during a burn it's gone splat (burns would complete but burns would be inconsistent ie skip on playback or whatever). Now people with really modern PC's say they can multitask during the burn. It's possible but as i'm not running cutting edge machines i leave well alone during the 8x a burn takes. i got plenty machines to use in those 8 minutes anyway

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

creaky i am one of them lol i can run virse scans surf the web download files etc. etc. while burning multiple copies even.thats the beauty of having a Opteron 175 Dual-Core CPU and 2 gigs of pro memorey

3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@aabbccdd
    Be that way, lots of CPU, lots of Memory, lots of Mammaries (Adriana)
    what else do you have that the rest of us don't?
    LOL

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks Everybody..But I think I'll just pass on the Verbs.DVDInfo shows that all is in the green,no red or white sectors.So I know I've got a reliable burn.The Verbs just won't play on certain Players.I can re-copy off the Verb to a Ritek or a Ty & the new copy plays fine.

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

blivetNC , don't want to rub it in or anything but since you asked i got a new Sony SXRD 60 inch widescree HD tv a couple weeks ago lol

6. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Keep rubbin' 'til you be raw buddy, nice job. (Hmm, 60" of Adriana, couldn't imagine it.)

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I'm with Aabbccdd...... I can surf the net, leave my virus protection on, multitask and not have to worry with my Hyperthreading machine that my burns will be just fine! I only use Taiyo Yuden and Verbs....and I can also use multiple burners! No problems at all after almost 1500 burns now.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

[bold]blivetNC[/bold] you tell him, I needed the laugh. [bold]aabbccdd[/bold] and I have exchanged PM's before and his system is not fair to the normal computer user. Now he has added a Sony 60" widescreen, what next a bloody Ferrari. [bold]aabbccdd[/bold] you know this is all computer envy and we all wish we could have that bad@$$ puter you got. My upgrade is pretty nice compared to the 5 year old boat ancor but about 1/8 of the machine [bold]aabbccdd[/bold] has. Hey it works and that's better than nothing.

Now to add some media news. [bold]aabbccdd[/bold] I bought the O.D. Riteks ($15 for 75=$.20 each) for nothing else but to give away so I can hord my remaining TY's and 8X Verb's (is this bad?). btw the Valueline TY's I got were the TYG03's but for less than $.30 each really hard deal to pass up. Yes they have the proper coding on the inner hub: GH000125.

OK, I'm with [bold]Creaky[/bold] on the start the burn and wait til she's done, but of course I don't have the same machine that [bold]aabbccdd[/bold] and [bold]IHoe[/bold] possess. Do you guys have wives, children, or other hobbies? Just wondering? LOL.

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

greensman, i am divorced lol NO kids. so basically my income is one way so if i want it i get it within reason . next on the list is a new Mustang GT hopefully by next year.

you should be OK with the OD media. the Ritek blank media does have a nice deep purple dye. supermediastore had a 200 pack of TY on special this week for 49.99 shipped and with 200 white envelopes if you need any TY

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

well...... I'm divorced with one 24 yr old...... and aabbccdd.... I have the 2006 Mustang GT! here it is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and I'm also into photography and have 2 super digital cameras:
    [​IMG]
    the other I just got is the sony DSC-N1 (8.1 Mega Pixels).

And my other hobbie is seeing Yankee games in NY and in ST. Petersburg and Tampa! Can you guess that I live in Florida!? LOL

11. creaky

i'm divorced and at the risk of sounding grumpy, i don't have my own place and my old car is close to it's last legs (i don't even wash it). oh and my PC's are all fairly old, the most expensive thing i own is a lowly Samsung 32" LCD.

so let's get back to media codes guys, before i come and steal your cars (after stealing an airplane ticket to get there)

:p

12. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

creaky...... you're so ominous..... thank G-d I only told you the State that I live in! LOL don't want you visiting my house! LOL

13. creaky

you're ok, i'm waiting to hear if i got a 2nd interview tomorrow for a few extra grand & loads more pressure/responsibility am a tad stressed waiting to hear

14. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

good Luck Creaky!!!!

15. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

Yes, good luck Creaky. Wish you the BEST!

Now back to media, I tried one of the Fujifilm MIT Prodisc R-05 last night on my DW1650 with BCIC firmware and got a Quality score of 97. I cannot seem to get over a 95 using MCC-04 verbs or the OD 16x. Most of them are in the 92 to 93 range with several being 0 quality (MCC-04's). That drive does not like the Verbs. It was great with the MCC-03 8x verbs though.

I've tried burning at every speed. Now that being said. They have all played flawlessly, even the ones with the 0 quality score. So just how important is paying attention to quality scores?

16. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

well..... my BenQ 1655 loves my Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+Rs but doesn't like the Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-Rs! I just bought 100 TYG03s silver inkjet hub printables and their scores have yet to be over 90! the YUDEN000x scores all go over 95+! The TYG03s work fine in my players... THANK G-D..... I don't want to send them back .... and they do look great:
    [​IMG]
    even though these disks are the first time my drive has burned a 16x disk.... I used Qsuite and tested out the disk and it said that best results were to burn these disks at 12x! 8x was too low for my drive! At lest that's what Qscan came up with... meanwhile the quality scores have been very low and I set the drive to learn this disk for better write strategies.... so far the drive takes time to learn the best write strategy for the new disk being used. I know that Taiyo Yuden is one of the best disks made so I have 100 of these new TYG03s and will see how the scores change as my drive learns the disk better. the same thing happened when I burned MCC and YUDEN00x and TYGO2 disks... it took time for the burner to learn the best write strategies for the disks. All drives have their favorite disks to burn... when you find out what disks they like stick with it! I hope that my new disk will eventually get better quality scores, but I think I will stick to the YUDEN000x disks from now on! I'm glad I got 200 of those waiting to be burned! LOL

17. cyanfalc

cyanfalc Member

Compusa has a sale for Sony 100 DVD-R or 100 DVD+R for $22.99. Are these good media? I saw a link in an earlier thread http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm that says Sony is pretty good. Are these good are should I just stick with Verbatim (which I've never tried) I currently have Memorex and these discs play scratchy way too much for me. Is it true if I close all my other programs that may help me burn better?

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Man I thought this thread was dead. A poet?

@cyanfalc,
    Sony branded media is ok but TY and Verb make great media. I'll tell you that deal is hard to pass up especially if you get MIJ (made in Japan) Sony's. The DVD+R will code out as SONY D21 if it's MIJ and way better than those memorex you're currently using. If you can find the DVD-R Sony's MIJ they should code out as TYG03's (Taiyo Yuden) as far as I know.

Turning off your other programs on a single core system is a good idea. That includes AV, Firewall, your internet connection. Now if you have a dual core machine it doesn't make that much difference. I don't know because I don't have one. lol.

Try this thread for some light reading and good info on everything especially TY media.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/296925

..........c

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I found the same thing with the TY's & Verbs on the Ben-Q..But the Ritek Ridata seem to do very well..Regardless of what U think I find the Ty's do best at 8X..The Verbs does not matter still come up with bad sectors on about 1 in 5..Had 200 of these..Although they play in the DVD Players,they are no good if down the line I need another copy,I'm just SOL

20. cyanfalc

cyanfalc Member

2 questions. 1) How do I know if they are made in Japan? Is that written on the package or do I have to buy it and hope it's made in Japan? 2) How do I find this coding? Can this be found using DVD Encypter? If so how many lines down from the top or bottom so I can see this like I'm a six year old?