1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice List of DVD Media and Codes

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DogBomb, Feb 3, 2005.

1. XxRUINSxX

XxRUINSxX Regular member

Hahaha

After leaving him that message, he contacted me right away, before I woke up there was a message in my inbox.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. c1c

c1c Regular member

Greeting all! This is my first post. I have been reading here for quite sometime now and decided to join. I have been researching options for creating professional DVD discs. I started with lightscribe DVD, to CD/DVD labels, now I'm onto Printable DVD Media.

1. Lightscribe too expensive for B/W images.

2. CD/DVD refills are cheap, but you can only use center hub stickers on DVD, not full face. When I use full face, the movie ends up skipping. Then they have just DVD labels. At first I thought this was just a marketing ploy, but now I see it isn't. The DVD memorex printable labels are nice, but still too expensive, .75 for one label.

3. Now onto printable DVd media. This is the best choice since the media is about the same price as regular DVD-R media. The only extra cost is really the ink from printer.

Now the question is, I need the best possible DVDR media that will:
    1. Play on the highest percentage of stand alone dvd players
    2. Print a nice quality image on printable surface.
    3. Provide a nice disc life longevity.

If I can find the perfect disc for this that would be great. Im tired of finding Media that will play on my stand alone player as well as my parents and friends player. Any one here have a nice chart for compatibility? Any one know the best Printable DVD Media for Stand Alone DVD Players? I don't mind paying more, just want the best solution, I don't have enough drinks for these coasters. How can you buy a DVD from the store, and it works everywhere...I want those DVDs!

3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Commercially produced movies are actually pressed, not burned, and they are in reality DVD-ROM disks. If you use DVD+R disks and set the book type DVD-ROM using a burning program like Nero, you can almost copy them. But, to further muddy the waters, I have better luck with all of my standalone players using DVD-R disks and burning them as DVD-R, (well you really can't booktype DVD-R) my Phillips and the mother in law's players don't like the newer 16X +R disks, but all of the 4X +R will work perfectly. Does your head hurt now? Mine did for a while until I stumbled upon Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, and Sony D16 disks which will work in every player I have access to right now.

4. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

TY so much for this list. Its great.
    Tom

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

c1c...I personally prefer the Ritek Hub Printables..I've had less problems with these then any other Disc [Smooth Burn,Longitivty,Excellent Print surface,] I have yet to find a stand alone DVD Player that will not play these Discs
    2nd choice being the Tys...minimal problems..again plays on anything
    Verbatims..I've had some problems on stand alone players..minimal though
    These are your three BEST Choices,and for me in this order.All are about $.36 a piece
    FORGOT I only use DVD-R's not DVD+R's..+r's as stated in above post,not really compatible to all players unless bookset,and even then some problems in certain players

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2007
  6. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I've recieved a few (didn't buy or burn them) GQ DVD +r's (it was old time radio shows) that coded out as Sony D21 lately. Don't know if the ID is real or fake however the discs seem to test fine.

Both Maxell & Memorex discs code out as either Prodisc or Ritek.

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

The last batch of Memorex I got coded as CMC Magnetics.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOCO the only exception that I've seen lately is the printable Memorex. Haven't checked the latest tho. My friend gave me a couple home movies on the printed version so I need to check them. lol.

Anyway RicohJPN R03 are the latest that I've purchased. jm2c. ;)

....gm

9. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I've seen CMC, Prodisc & Ritek with Memorex DVD's. Not sure who makes them currently.

I've heard that Makell switched to Ritek a few months ago but I can only find it in -R along with Prodisc. All I've found in Maxell +R was CMC.

10. lesperkl

lesperkl Member

11. lesperkl

lesperkl Member

DVD Media ID Quick list:
    1ST CLASS (A): PVC, MXL, TY/YUDEN, MCC/MKM, TDK/TTG/TTH, SONY

2ND CLASS (B): RICOHJPN, PRODISC, RITEK, FUJIFILM, OPTODISC, INFODISC

3RD CLASS (C): CMC, LEADDATA, DAXON, INFOMEDIA, MBI, MAM-E/A, PRINCO, ONID, GSC, PHILIPS

4TH CLASS (F): LONGTEN, YIJHAN, AN/ANWELL, AML, INFOSMART/ISO, VDS, UME, WFKA

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

12. LOCOENG

I think everyone here is aware of that list/site.

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  14. LOCOENG

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

thanks LOCO and creaky the masters of the Universe. hehehe. ;P

Les tbh try to stick with MCC coded media and TY coded media. The real deal NOT fake (yep there's fake media too). You CAN'T go wrong there. good luck...

...gm

16. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Purple bottom DVD's are the best.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Anybody had any experience (good, bad, etc ) here lately with Prodisc. I used them a few yrs back, had good use then all of a sudden went bad. So I stopped using. Just wondering if they are back on track

18. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I'd like to know the same thing as U burned some Prodisc manufacured Maxell DVD's last year & wonder if they will be still be good in a few years....

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bratcher..As far as longevity goes I've got some ProdiscS03 Discs that still play. I'm guessing that they are at least 3 yrs old. So pretty much holding with the best. I've also got some cheap CompUSA Disc which are Princo, supposedly a very poor quality Disc. But they seem to be holding up also (4yrs + )..My primary problem with Prodisc was they switched Mfgr. and the Discs I started getting were a lot of bad sectors, so I quit using them. Now they seem to be back in the game, and I'm wondering if they are worth purchasing. I guess I'll only get an answer if I furnish it my self, by buying some and seeing. Not worried about longevity as much as the quality burn. No Disc has been around long enough for that. Like I stated earlier, cheap good they all seem to be holding up. My personal opinion is your Burner has a lot to do with the quality of the burn (laser do wear our or get weak). I believe U should replace your burner every three yrs or so or at least clean it, or as soon as you see your having problems with Discs U are familiar with. As far as the 100 yr life span who knows. I've heard rumors that Burnt Discs will out live pressed Discs I sure won't be hear to see if they still work. I'm already 62 and sliding downhill, everyday I'm alive, I take it as an extra given

20. redina

redina Guest

Hi sorry I connot help you because I don't have any idea about …..

Good luck!

*sigh*

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2008