1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice List of DVD Media and Codes

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DogBomb, Feb 3, 2005.

1. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

LOL...very smart idea indeed~ :)

2. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanks.

3. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Heres a pic of 1 of my coasters circled in the green is the hole filled with wax so if sumthing gets spilled it doesnt go through the hole.

[​IMG]

4. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Here is a clearer pic.
    [​IMG]

5. babayaga

babayaga Member

Guys, how accurate are ATIP readings? I heard that they're not very reliable, and seeing a certain manufacturer in your cd/dvd-info software doesn't always mean that it's the real manufacturer.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

you're quite right. the media code on it's own is not enough. always need to look at the disc itself too or packaging if possible.

For instance with TY discs there are codes on the inner hub that verify whether they're fake or not

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

only problem with thoses codes creaky is i can see the damn numbers good enough to SEE them lol

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

woops can't i mean

9. creaky

lol i know, but babayaga can tell us , hint hint..

10. babayaga

babayaga Member

Guys, futureshop right now has a sale on 25-packs of 8x fujifilms (both + and - R). I usually get -R, so if I get a package, there's a fifty fifty chance that they will be TY's or FujisilmS03.

What are tehse odds? Should I try it out? Is there any way to tell which one they are without buying them (like, the "made in..." message on the spindle? I know TY's are great, but what about FujiS03, what are these like?

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

babayaga- other than the meSsage on the spindle or the made in japan message on the media -Fuji's 8X DVD-R for example the only way I know is to check them out with DVD- Identifier . Assuming that futureshop will let you return them without any problems you could buy & check ! Sometimes Fuji's put their MIJ's in spindles with light Grey plastic bases but that's not a absolute rule as all of the ones that I've bought recently came in the black base cakeboxes that are exactly like the taiwan made fuji's so go figure! anyway that 's my .02 cents well 0.1 .5 cents adjusting for inflation - ha! Ha! - peace & happy burning

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

babayaga - or you could try bestbuy - when they throw a sale on fuji's about every couple of weeks !

13. creaky

OMG my eyes are deceiving me - i just saw this further up the thread -

- OMG what a combination.

repent, repent !!

14. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Damn my long post has gone :(

15. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

mine has too alien` :)

oh well, when u choose to go with
    you are REALLY only choosing the lesser of two evils :p

all 4 of those medias there are pretty crappy in my opinion and i know MANY people will agree with me~ the first 2, im assuming that user DID have SOME luck w/ CMC MAG (as both memorex and tdk use that crap of a manufacturer in their discs), the 2nd two, hell, i won't even begin to describe the inconsistencies there~ just know they are BOTTOM of the rung crap, as opposed to higher up the ladder crap~ :p

funny how things work out~ :) just stick w/ TY and Verbs and your media problems will disappear~ wish i could STICKY that comment up in here~ :)

16. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

How is this?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2005
  17. batori

batori Member

How can you tell which TDKs are CMC and which are RICOH? I just bought a spindle like at the beginning of the month, and I always buy TDKs (I have since '98 when I got my 1st CD burner and some CD labratory site that was reputable back then said that under stress tests TDKs last the equivalent of 75 years, and at the recommendations of friends as well) as I've never had a problem with them, but now I read that some are CMC mag, and guess what, this spindle was, which leads me to wonder if my other DVDs are bad as well. *looks behind him at the stack of over 1000 mostly TDK DVD+Rs* I haven't really had issues other than this spindle, which coastered every other DVD or so, and that's never happened before to me, ever. (I have a Sony DRU 510-a, btw) Is there something to look for on the packaging to see if it's RICOH or CMC? Does a place like Best Buy carry the good kind, or do I have to order them from a place closer to the source coming from JP or whatever? Also - and I really don't wanna ask this because I'm afraid of the answer - but do CMCs degrade faster or something? Are all of the things that I've invested time/money into gonna fade really fast? I have media that's 2 or so years old (as old as my burner) and it still plays, so....

18. bong1169

bong1169 Member

thank you for that comprehensive listing! i was wondering if we can get that together with the additions that fellow members added? i have learned a lot here since i became a member! thank you all!

19. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

batori- I thin all of us here have similar fears about previous burns ! the only way I know of to tell what your getting for sure is to get a sample and check it with dvd Identifier ! Other than that buy a brand like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim! Both of which are highly rated on afterdawn.com The FUJI DVD media that is made in japan is Taiyo yuden media _ BestBUy puts the fuji's onsale like evry other week! but the Japanese masde ones are usually mixed in with the TAIWAN made ones so you have to read the label on the cakebox it will say - MADE in Japan Near the barcode patch! also if you can see the top dvd in the stack it will say made in japan there too! or you could just by Taiyo yudens or Verbatims Online @ supermediastore.com -meritline.com -shop4tech.com ,newegg.com !or some other online retailer. other than that you pay & pray like the rest of us ! A general rule of thumb is when looking for dvd media is Go japanese 1st. tawianese 2cnd - and avoid Hong kong altogether ! But like any hobby get what works for you and what you can afford! above all else you are on the right track being here because of the knowledgeable & helpful people here they've all been where you are and know their stuff ! too! - So use dvd identifier & read up all you can it helps trust me ! and don't be afraid to ask - The squeaky wheel & all that jazz ! hope that my very limited knowledge helped in some way ! Peace & happy burning!

" MY NAME IS LEGION FOR WE ARE MANy"

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  20. batori

batori Member

yeah I used that to ID some, and they're all pretty much CMC, but what I'm asking is, if they are CMC, do they use a dye or something that makes them "self-destruct" or degrade faster or something? Should I be worried about losing my collection? Or is it just that CMC discs make for more coasters and less good burns?