No internet!! Why won't it connect?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Seph149, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seph149

Seph149 Member

I posted this before hoping I might find someone knowledgable that could help but I think the post was pushed down the list from so many new ones so I'm trying again:

A couple nights ago I was online and I lost my connection which wasn't so significant because I have dial up and it routinely does that after 2-3 hours. I was always able to simple dial back up without a problem but this time it said there was no dial tone. I was tired anyway so I just went to bed figuring it was a "brain fart" and it'd go back to normal the next time I started it up.

Well, it didn't. I went to Control Panel and it said the modem was operating properly so then I went to the telephone line connected to my comp. I switched it out for several others which didn't yield any success so I plugged the phone into the cords to make sure they worked...no problem there either.

I even did a did a system recovery to restore everything to factory condition thinking maybe there was a virus that may have done something...again no luck.

Is there anything else I may have missed? Considering what I tried the only thing I can think of is a hardware failure...

I'd appreciate any thoughts

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if get a no dialup tone & replaced telephone cord gives you same result then replace the modem as a component blew.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You do get a dial tone on your phone right? Obviously if you don't, that's one for your phone provider, not (necessarily) the fault of the modem

4. Seph149

Seph149 Member

Yep,there's definately a dial tone. Sadly it looks like a new modem might be the fix...a few people recommended reinstalling the drivers so I'll try that first and see if it does anything

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.