1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not all Memorex suck / Questions for you / etc

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by JoshLogan, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Yeah I've got mid-terms, spring break (a wild adventure or two, maybe I'll right a media guide- God I need to get out more often), several PS2 games/movies to backup, noobs to help, stuff to learn, torrentleech ratio built up and finally free of wait times, and some highly anticipated games to backup like Shadow Hearts 3 and Suikoden V. Arguing with people on AD is not on the list. Here's a scan of Drakengard 2 I just backed up. Aside from the hideous deficiencies of my Sony DRU-810A (no PI/PO scanning), and the fact it's a quick scan, it's still not bad.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  2. ashj

ashj Regular member

Ya with your drive not reading PIF which Nero CD/DVD Speed quality score is based on, you'll always get the 100%.

really need those PIF readings ^ ^

As for the flaming talk which seems to get mentioned at the drop of a hat these days (been a member here for 2 year, worse now)

Lets all just express our opinions and be happy with that, we don't need to change the world with them or resort to name calling if someone disagree's with your view.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but ego's certainly seem to play a part.

Lets keep it fun, even if we differ in opinion.

3. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Im cool. Its not egos but ideas that are being confronted. Thats all it is for me. If ashj or joeryan, or luckepenny any of them come up with good ideas that i can use, ill use them. Im not saying i know it all by far, remember im the crazy one.
    I just want to help people with problems, and learn something, not get in to semantics about something pointless, and opinionated. We all have them, opinions that is. Everyone is entitled to their own and to express them.
    My buddies are the ones i see working along side me in nero logs, or media forums. guiding ppl to successful burns. We work as a team, each looking to see if the other missed something, or found something. Good ppl working for free to help complete strangers. Yes, im proud to call them my buddies. I havent noticed any theorist/debaters in these forums for some strange reason. Maybe because ppl want help, not theories, compassion, not aloft superior being attitude, ive got a secret types. Help is what these ppl are seeking. Join the AD community and help someone. It doesnt matter how long youve been a member here. How many ppl have you helped? Thats my question.
    Now ashj ive seen some of your posts, and you do try to help occasionally. So please dont take this personal, im just telling it the way i see it. Ppl who come in here to help others have my support. Ppl who come in here just to argue, or show off about something, and cause problems for many, dont have my support. Thats all.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Max,
    I guess you couldn't have said it better:
    People that come to the forum having problems with the burn, they come asking "How did you do it" or, "how did you make it work for yourself", and "what should I do". And then you tell them, I updated my firmware, dropped the CMG Mag media, and got myself some quality discs. No one wants to know how the dye could be azo, cyanine, dipyrromethene or whatever, sputtered using some sort of fancy mechanism. All they want to know is "Why I cannot burn?" .They don't want theories, charts or comparisons, they just want to know what works for the majority of the people that are happy burners. They want facts of life, and the fact is, CMC just doesn't cut it!! I wonder, what would someone say, when they come to the Nero forum complaining about how they wasted half of a spindle of Memorex, trying to burn a simple DVD, with their brand new bought DVD burner. What would they say when you tell them something like this:

To be able to successfully burn your DVDs, first you must learn some basics about DVD media:
    I think they might say "Yeah, that's what I can find on Google, but I don't care, all I want is to be able to burn my DVD and watch it on my TV. That's why I signed up with this forum, not to get a science lesson! So help me, or let someone else do it!"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  5. ashj

ashj Regular member

@ Maxburn

Shows you i need to pay more attention, its appears that you were actually talking about me in this thread?, correct me if I'm wrong (i can't find a member called Asji) .....mistakenly I may add. I'm ashj no one else.

I try to back up my statements with media scans which have stood up to 90+ quality around/over 2 years, indeed my full collection is scaning very nicely.

Yes, ditto, I've read some of your posts too Maxburn, and you try to help occasionlly as well.

I'd return the favour and use your advice, if you come up with anything that I thought would help me :)

I can post loads more, I guess thats why I spot trouble with media early , as I am always evaluating its performance through batch scans.

Just now Verbatim (Taiyo Yuden TYG02 X8 DVD-R) are shaping up real good with no additional PIF TT, whereas Taiyo Yuden DVD+R X16 Printables (YUDEN000 T03) are'nt.

Yes I try to help when I pop on here, full time job(teaching) and all, but its not just the amount of people you help, thats important...

its the way we conduct ourselves when we disagree with someone that defines us.

I certainly dont need anyone else to back up my opinions, I'm perfectly capable of making an observation on my own and standing up for myself.

If someone disagrees with me, good luck to him/her.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  6. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

This whole thread is now pointless. I see no further point in keeping it open. If we can't shut our yaps about egos, debates, and Media, someone needs to shut us the hell up, myself included. Hey DDP or Creaky about closing this one down. It's a flame war waiting to happen.

7. ashj

ashj Regular member

Well I've not seen anyone else mention flamewar,

and you certainly won't get any from me, I prefer discussion.

just folks giving their opinion which happens to differ.

Its a bad day if we can't deal with that on a forum.

8. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Yes, ashj i mistyped your name. It wasnt intentional. I probably misspelled a few words too. You guys go ahead and say what you want, im not going to fuel this one any longer.

My suggestion to ppl who want successful burns:
    Burn at 4x on Good media
    Have updated firmware/software
    Dont multi-task while burning
    Defragment HD often

Now i probably wont see you guys, as im going to go help ppl with burn problems in the nero forum. Words over there produce fixes for ppl when we say the right words. You stay here and debate until you guys are blue in the face. Nothing has changed for me, i havent learned a single useful thing from these scientist. Im too dis-organized to be a real scientist. And your data isnt published in the scientific journals i read.. :)

Peace everyone. Good luck burning. Watch out for tangential radial spin off in the x and y axis,, LOL

9. ashj

ashj Regular member

Thats good advice maxburn,

pretty much the same thing I say to people, with the scan's thrown in to keep tabs on their collection.

* If you had performed batch scans on your collection of back ups then perhaps this
    would'nt have happened or at least you'd have spotted the deterioration....no science there, just common sense.

Don't worry maxburn, you won't be overburdened with me, I don't usually post a lot, I tend to have a lot of people to help, in class.

their usually very good listeners too.

Peace be with you all.

amen.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  10. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Velly old oillintelly martial art saying

"The first opponent a good 'teacher' will teach his pupils' against;

is his-self

Nice one Max :)

el G

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2006
  11. akyllonen

akyllonen Regular member

....looks like we are in the same business, photolithography, although I do mostly Power Analog...up here in chilly Maine!sounds like your at Intel maybe?

12. ashj

ashj Regular member

another good saying is 'talk is cheap'

and quite honestly, I'm a bit dumbfounded about the conclusions reached in this thread, quite apart from childish digs.

Mine is Taiyo Yuden has the best overall performance of blank dvd, with a drop in performance where DVD+R X16 is concerned.

Certain batch numbers of Taiyo Yuden DVD+R X16 don't scan as well as Verbatim DVD+R X16, this has been documented on other sites.

Purple top Ritek G04 has given me the best results for longevity to date, many scan over 95% with Nero @ 2 years old, nearly all over 90%.

A lot of bottom class media I used at that time (prodisc) still scan well (90+) two years later and some don't, but all of them play in my 3 dvd players.

I've posted many scan's at around 2 years old to back up my experience of various types of media, even the tragically poor Ritek G05 printables.

I'm really not interested in clever comments/arguing or changing peoples opinion.

I just give my experiences of 'how I've found things to be and present it the way I find it, its an observation .

like it or lump it, makes no difference to me.

13. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

@akyllonen,
    Yes, ive been in litho for 11 years. Im not going to confirm or deny the company i work for as then ppl would start asking me tech questions about the latest chips and what they can do. I make them, but a google search will give you more accurate, and better info than i could. Besides, i come here to have fun and learn/help, not talk about work, unless it might apply like in this thread.
    @Ashj
    You are absolutely correct. I noticed freezing and skipping on a CMC and thats when i started checking all of them. Of course it was too late then. Batch scans would have picked up the deterioration earlier, maybe in time to save many of them.

Im not interested in getting a good "dig" at someone. I was just trying argue that CMCs were not that great. No use arguing though. Ppl can use whatever they want. Ill stick with Tys and Verbs. The frustration of having to re-do so many movies that were on CMCs was enough for me to not want to use those discs ever again.

Don't stay away for too long ashj. You are knowledgeable, and could contribute to AD. Im sure many could use your help on scanning or media, or other areas of expertise you might have. You are not a burden to me. I just didnt want our differences of opinion to turn into a flame war, and i think we kept that in check. I ask that everyone else please try to accept ashj, and not to try to alienate, or do a slam/insult. It wont do anybody any good.

Happy burning to all. :)

14. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i already have my friend, ashj is a knowledgeable and considerate guy in my book, where we disagree in opinions, is far outweighed by similarities common between us and the thirst for what some would call "closest to near perfection in media", this would be Taiyo Yuden, generally speaking...

docTy~

15. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Another childish saying.

Quote:Velly old oillintelly martial art saying

"The first opponent a good 'teacher' will teach his pupils' against;

is his-self

Nice one Max :)

el G
    Will-shakespear..(Big Bill)
    Methinks she do'est protest; too much??!

"Ain't it funny, how time slips away? Will Nelson,,

El G

16. ashj

ashj Regular member

@ El G Now I kinda like this, it shows promise. (B+)

@ DocTY cheers for that, yup, we agree on a lot of things about media, very knowledgeable as well and hey your a real nice guy too.

@ Maxburn, about the cmc, your quite right not to trust them, thats what its all about finding out the cream from the ****, tho I never ever once said I had ever used or even like CMC (mem), I believe you got me mixed up with someone else.

anyways as Doc says.... its all good

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  17. necroviz

necroviz Guest

[bold]I Think this thread is starting to become a bunch of worthless drib-drab. dont you?[/bold]

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

erm, it hadn't been replied to in almost 5 months, until your post..

19. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Don't you just love it when one doesn't check the dates of the threads? I guess it's OK, since we get to review ones that we have missed, forgotten or wish that they had disappeared forever....

20. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Leave it to a noobie to resurrect a 4¾ month-old thread

*slap* - *slap* - *slap*