1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super freezing computer with single colored screen

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bkrueger1979, Aug 13, 2021.

1. bkrueger1979

bkrueger1979 Newbie

Hello everyone.
    I just bought my first "gaming PC" and it's been a real disappointment.
    I got an:
    HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super, Intel Core i3-10100, 8 GB DDR4 RAM, 256 GB PCIe NVMe SSD, Windows 10 Home a little over a week ago.

The computer itself works great..until I try to game with it.
    After 5-25 minutes, the screen comes up monochrome, Pink, Black, White, and everything freezes, making me do a forced shutdown. Sometimes I still hear sound, sometimes I do not.

It seems like this is an issue with my GPU.

I have updated the driver, reverted the driver, done a system restore, monitored my GPU temp (consistently around 30 degrees Celsius), changed my power options on my computer to high performance, made sure PCI Express Link State Power Management was OFF, talked to the seller (From a 3rd party Amazon: "go talk to HP, it's their computer".) talked to HP "This looks like a software issue, it's not under your warranty." and NVIDIA, who were the most helpful and pleasant, they had me disable a bunch of 3rd party programs and do a selective startup, unfortunately that did not work.

Does anyone have any ideas? This happens while playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker and The Witcher 3; Wild Hunt, but not while playing Pillars of Eternity.

These are the specs of my GPU.

[​IMG]
    Thank you for your time and any ideas.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. bkrueger1979

bkrueger1979 Newbie

Yes, it does have a fan on it, the biggest one in the computer.
    The Power Supply has a bunch of things that say "+12.1" and then "Total Output Cannot Exceed 400W"

**Edit**
    I also thought of overheating, but the specs say it can handle up to 90 C, and mine never got above 32C

I'm just...I don't even know. Pathfinder:Kingmaker does not seem really graphics intensive, but neither does Pillars of Eternity, which works. The Witcher 3 is graphics intensive. According to canIrunit the PC meets the recommended for the first two, and the minimum for the Witcher.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  4. ddp

is this computer brand new or 2nd hand to see if still has warranty on it?

5. bkrueger1979

bkrueger1979 Newbie

Brand new. I contacted the seller and he told me to go to HP support. I talked to them and explained the problem and they said it was a software issue and thus not covered under my limited hardware warranty, but that if I wanted I could subscribe to their premium paid tech help and those nice folks could probably fix it.

6. ddp

was windows full installed when you got the computer or did you have to finish the installation?

7. bkrueger1979

bkrueger1979 Newbie

I had to finish the installation.