1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official docTY Taiyo Yuden (2) thread

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by creaky, Jul 27, 2007.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

thanks for the interesting tidbit JoeRyan:D

2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

And thats the name of that tune!

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Until 50 or 100 years go by and my ancestors can still play my discs, then and only then will we know exactly how long the discs will last. A test is just a guess! How many get the mileage it says you'll get on those new cars you bought? Oops we actually use AC, drive over 50mph and usually put the petal to the metal and hardly ever coast. TESTs! LMAO

Not doubting you Joe Ryan-you know more scientific facts about dvds than anyone I know- just the people you get your data from. It's all business.

4. FredBun

FredBun Active member

LOL, must also say again cause that was well put also, thats the name of that tune.

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

1) The tests were destructive tests. They were not meant to show the best figures possible, just the point at which error rates reached a level where no error correction could resolve them.

2) The tests were not a guess. They did assume that heat and humidity were the two stress factors most likely to damage either the dye marks or the bonding layers, and those were the factors tested according to the environmental standards used to test almost all chemically based products.

3) The heat was 85 degrees C. The humidity was 85%. The heat was just below that which would distort the polycarbonate. The full series of tests takes almost 11 months to complete.

You may doubt the results as much as you like and assume that it is all a guess, but then you would have to make that assumption over every bridge you cross and every medicine you take. You might even be able to find the flaws in Arrhenius's and Eyring's formulae. These are simply the most thorough and complete tests ever undertaken for optical media. The results were accepted by the U.S. Federal government's Library of Congress for archival research. I thought that this information might be of more use than the anecdotal information spread in user forums from 15-year-old enthusiasts or from hacks at the New York Times who write technical columns and have no idea what they are talking about.

As to the veracity of those who did the actual testing, not only did they see their data dismissed by the sales and marketing executives who refused to believe that any consumer cared about longevity, these very scientists who conducted the tests were laid off for being unimportant for the business. These guys were genuine physicists. The marketing guys took the data and claimed 100 years for DVDs and 300 years for CD-Rs. Name that tune!

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Joe I don't think garmon doubted or second guessed you, well all know your rep and we respect it, I know what he meant, and it's mostly just commen sense, the tests you mention I know are true, especially if you would want to look at a legal standpoint, we need test's like that.

We also know no-matter how good these test's are when it comes down to use in the trences so to speak it many times turnes out to be different even if just a little, the real test's are the human one's, we give out a much different punishment than machines do, in reality if the testers tell me it's good for 50 I know it's good for 25 and so on and of course there are always exceptions to the rule for or against.

Does that mean I think these tests are crap, hell no, accurate or not, I'm much more comfortable having the tests done.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You know...Im seeing some pretty good burns with the 20A4P Lite-on. I think I might just purchase one, to see how well in comparison it fairs with the TYG03 watershields.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

they are getting like the ad-7200a/s hard to find.... seems like the market isnt allowing the good drives to stick around long

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Joe Ryan

I'm not trying to cause an argument here. My discs will assuredly last longer than those tested. They have not been expose to temps above 72-more like 68- degrees since entering my house and handled with kid gloves. The humidity is kept low by AC running as I type. My wife likes to hang meat in the kitchen.

I wonder a what point people will start to recopy the discs they have. Will they even be able to play a dvd in 100 years? Will we be here in 100 years-cough asteroid?

Keep us honest I agree with almost everything you post. :)

10. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

garmoon, FredBun--

I didn't take your messages the wrong way. I just wanted to point out that the tests were as accurate as such tests can be and were conducted by scientists, not marketing/sales departments. It was the marketing/sales departments that distorted the results, told management that the tests were unnecessary, and cowered when management threw out all the scientists. (That's why my tone sounded as though I got irritated. Stupid management irritates me.)

100 years from now there will not likely be any disc players around to play what optical discs are left, except for what the Library of Congress may keep in reserve. Try to rent an 8mm film projector today to play home movies. 100 years from now, even if there were a disc player available, the discs survived, and we were still alive, glaucoma would prevent us from seeing much. It's a cruel world. I blame management.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ive seen several recently at officemax. I dont like the thought of a walkin, but...we'll see.

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Point well taken Joe.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

dang over a year from the last post here.. sorry docTY.

just what is the difference in the premium line and value line of TY's?? ive actually ordered my first batch(200 ea) of premium line. jsut wondering what difference im gonna see from the value line?

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

IMHO Robert you won't see enough difference to warrant buying the premium line. ;) I think that the VALUELINE TY discs are better than most other manufacturers out there... :) Of course it's jm2¢..... ;)

I know we won't see docTY answer but maybe someone of the same "caliber" will stop by... JoeRyan maybe.... :D

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

maybe i count maybe not GM ^^^ lol . I'm with GM on this one at 19.99 a hundred buying the Taiyo Yuden value-line is what you want to do. Its what i use with little to no problems for years now

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  16. herrick

herrick Regular member

Rob... in a natural nothing... if you Nero scan...well, then there is much room for debate... those scans are fun but are totally unreliable in my opinion... Ive burned my "value" line disks...[ones w/ no or little compression] on the most top of the line TVs...up to 65in... w/ 8.1 surround ...and am very pleased w/ my little '0' value line TY... Ive got 3500 DVD now in my collection ... more then half is value line over 3 years old and still playing [kiddie movie ..so they are totally used over and over] ... the only coaster I really get are operator error...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Honestly that's about as good as an "opinion" that you can get.... a person that's burned 1000's and had no issues... ;)

add: btw I've never had an issue with ValueLine that wasn't my fault or the computers... ;) Of course I've only burned about 400-500... :)

18. herrick

herrick Regular member

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I bought the Premium line TY's once. I yielded several better scans. The valuelines, you risk getting slight imperfections, adhesive overspray on the shields, or whatever they believed to be less than perfect. I saw all sorts of imperfections. And DAMN few throw aways. And those were Dye flaws, that were probably O-K. The high Failure spikes that I've seen on TY discs, are within reason. Provided the discs are well taken care of, there will generally never be a problem. Only if a player sticks its nose up at it ;)