1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official docTY Taiyo Yuden (2) thread

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by creaky, Jul 27, 2007.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

frbernard,
    You have the LH-18A1P by lite-on right? I would look for the most recent f/w and see about updating your f/w. Here are the links (GLOH/GLOJ) for the 2 most recent that are giving good results and burning TY's like a champ. :) Take into consideration that these are the patched f/w versions and will enable fb/eos for your lite-on. :D You can d/l the latest official f/w from lite-on, here.

hth.....

...gm

2. Playr

Playr Regular member

What speed DVDs are you using and what speed are you burning at? Are you multitasking while burning? These seems minor but along with have the lastest FW as GM as provided to you, they make a difference.

Good luck.

3. frbernard

frbernard Regular member

I was using 8x dvds and the speed was (I think) automatic maximum

4. herrick

herrick Regular member

Not good bro...I burn at half of the rated speed of the media for best outputs...but that just me. The 8x really should be burned at 4x. I have burned with faster speeds when I use overspeed but really dont often do that just to play and test... half the rated speed is a good formula to follow...good luck

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i have that same drive as do a few others here. when i first got mine i went through 3 drives before they got the firmware right to burn 8x TY media. i had the same problem as you are ahven right now. i updated to the GLOH firmware and have been burning TY's with ease now(well the 8x that was given me the problem).

As greensman said try one of the 2 newest FirmWare updates, GLOH/GLOJ.

myself i like the GLOH better. but bot make that drive 100% better.

update to one of those FW's and your problems should be solved..

6. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@ frbernard,

Update your firmware & burn @ 4x or maybe 6x. Greensman has gotten great burns using the 8x TY 02s.

7. frbernard

frbernard Regular member

When I went to Lite-on, they said I was updated to gloj. I downloaded anyway. I couldn't find any place to download gloh. thanks for your suggestions, anyway. Maybe re-downloading will help.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

the link up above that greensman gave will get you to both of them. the GLOH and GLOJ

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i transcode and burn at 8x using the TYGO2s or the TYGO3s when i do the store bought DVD with clonedvd 2 and get a good quality score. when i make a copy of the backup either from an ISO file or "on the fly" burning at 8x gives me horrible quality scores burning at 6x or 4x the quality scores are better but still never very good

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

now thats funny. i get just the flip of that. when i burn on the fly i get great results. all the 98 scores i have gotten have been on the fly. and when i rip to my hdd then copy from that my scores drop. i havent noticed any playback problems from the 2 ways, just the scan scores.

heck going from disc to disc is the way i do 98% of all my burns.
    and all i have been useing lately are my Hub printable 16x+r TY's i am actually burning one here in the next few mins. but i am useing files from my HDD, and not on the fly...lol

11. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Hmmmm, burn on the fly, haven't done that. I always do the 2-step, rip to hard disk, then burn. I generally get 93-95 scores using Verb 8x -Rs or TY 16x +Rs. I get better results with the 16x disks on my Liteys (LH-20A1Hs).

Never gotten a 98, might have to give that burn-on-the-fly a try. (Where's a disk, where's a disk!)

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@hobbit

ive only gotten 1 98 score on a TY. about 10 i guess total have been on 16x+r Verbs. all of them have been on the fly.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

14. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

hmm, i do full speed all the time, and on the fly often myself and i still get 90-95 scores. as long as i get at least 90 im happy
    i actually once ran two dvd burns at the same time at 16x just to see how well it worked and i still got 92 on both discs
    speed is important to me. i do more burning than i have time for ;)

on a side note i came across some permanent markers that write really well on the TY silver lacquers, im trying to find somewhere to buy them in packs to save on bulk but no luck. they are duramark CEB50090. suggested for anyone who doesnt like using ultra fine tips lol. i'll be the guinea pig and make sure that i find ones that write as well as the ones i currently have

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  15. herrick

herrick Regular member

Well ILL have to play around... that was a formula that Ive stuck to from way back [when 8x first came out] on different burns though, I was having problems then...

16. herrick

herrick Regular member

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

SMS has pretty much the same deal also

18. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

im gonna go ahead and buy those markers from amazon.com i'll let you guys know how they work out

19. Yujenh

Yujenh Regular member

hello guys,
    hows the new liteon LH-20A1H-186?? are these anygood??
    $37 for a retailed version good deal or no??

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hello Yujenh!!

I don't have the LightScribe version but I have the LH-20A1S and I'm liking it better than the LH-18A1P. The thing is the LH-18A1P is a good burner, scanner, and ripper so that's saying something. I've only burned about 60-80 discs so far but it does well enough. :)

I think that hobbitt112 has the SAME model you do so hopefully he'll add his 2 cents too. :)

....gm

btw I got mine delivered for $28.99, Newegg.com had some crazy sale going on at the time. :D