Ok, im thinking of getting a camcorder to record videogame gameplay

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by JadeKick, Sep 7, 2008.

1. JadeKick

JadeKick Regular member

Can camcorders connect to the TV and record footage of me playing a game in a clear quality? I use my digital camera at the moment but it has a terrible fuzzy quality with a glare on the tv screen and you can hear all the sounds around the camera (like me hitting the buttons/coughing and such)Any recomendations of cameras that can record from the TV for 250$ or lower?

2. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

hi JadeKid!

not many tv's have a video output, just inputs (tho the screen itself does count as a output)...

a simpler, better option (and possibly cheaper) would be to get a stand alone DVD recorder and place it between your console and you tv, and record gameplay that way and not get any of the external noise.

another option would be to get a capture device for your pc/laptop and split the console signal before it reaches to the tv and record it on your pc - this option may be a bit too techy tho....

3. JadeKick

JadeKick Regular member

How much will the DVD recorder be and can i get it at radioshack? And is what I record with it able to upload to youtube? I wanna record me and my friends fighting in a game and put it on youtube. I read about capture cards and how some work with just USB chords but......yeah sounds a bit too techy for me.

4. enilno

enilno Member

JadeKick, I want you to list first the camcorders that fit your budget. Then, read on their corresponding reviews in order to see which one fits more to your requirements. And lastly, compare the camcorder ratings between these items. That should give you an idea which one has the best bang for your buck.

Good luck.

5. Faugs

Faugs Guest

If all you want to do is record videogame gameplay, a capture card is almost necessary. Capture cards are not technical AT ALL. I'll summarize it in like 2 sentences. Buy a capture card, plug the audio/video plugs into the capture card like you'd plug them into your tv (ya know the red, white, and yellow cables). Then simply plug the audio/video plugs from the capture card into your tv. Turn your game on, play, do whateva, then unplug the capture card, plug it into your computer and you'll have a nice file with your video on it. It's cheaper and better than a camcorder. Good luck!

6. Faugs

Faugs Guest

most capture cards plug into your pc though and come with software (you play on your pc) I tried looking for the one i was talking about, but I can't seem to find it.

7. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

if youre just looking to upload to youtube or some such then even better would be to use a usb webcam on an extension lead....

8. JadeKick

JadeKick Regular member

how would the quality be? Would background sounds be able to be heard? *like my family talking/walking arround*

9. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

well yes, but that would be true of a camcorder too. and a usb webcam could well be much the same quality as a camcorder..

thats why i suggested using a capture device between the console and the tv, as you wouldnt get any sounds except those coming out of the console...