on board graphics gone back to 4 bit?????

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by cphicks, Nov 6, 2008.

1. cphicks

cphicks Regular member

hi everyone can you help?
    ive just bought a dell pc of my friend it had no user manual so i hope you can help, ive installed windows xp pro, and when i restarted the pc the picture was really bad the settings went right back to 4 bits display and when i tried to correct it it would not change? so can anyone explain how to get my onboard graphic card back to a better setting, if you can help ill be very grateful thankyou

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the make & model# of the dell?

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Yup.. it's certainly a graphics driver problem... if the machine has been made after 1997 that is......

dell usually use onboard matrox hardware.. around the 12Mb area which is actually nice and fast.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

cphicks, pay no attention to Varnull's post. Try to find the drivers for the onboard chip that you have.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

So how would he find out which chip it is if device manager says "unknown device"?

My older dells all use matrox, but they usually work with xp with no problems..

Times I have seen xp do the 4bit stuff has been with riva2's and some old voodoo2/3 cards. everything else seems to be supported rather well.

6. ddp

i've seen more recent onboard videocards do that too!

cphicks, did you do windows updates including hardware?

7. cphicks

cphicks Regular member

hi ddp well its a dell, model 02x378 thats the motherboard, bios is version A09, the problem i have is how do i get my graphic display back to normal, i have no disk, or manual, i tried to get one but no luck, my dell is not on the internet but my other pc is and if i can down load a driver, where can i get it? sorry to be a pain but i dont know anything about dells, i hope this helps to to get an answer, thanks again, hope you reply soon. also my bios has a password on it, i took the battery out,then put it back but password is still there? any way look forward to your reply thanks.

8. ddp

what is the make & model# of the dell such as dimension 3200?