1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original XBox xbmc dashboard issues

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Modding & Hacking' started by Cbizzle500, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Cbizzle500

Cbizzle500 Newbie

So I have had the same modded Xbox for about 8 years. Just recently I took it to a friends and it was working fine. But when I got it home when the xbmc dashboard comes up the image starts skipping. The xbox sign show up perfect so I'm sure its not an issue with the video cord. Iv looked all over and haven't found a solution to the problem. But reading posts here people seem to know what there talking about so I thought I'd give it a shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You'll have better luck getting an answer here as the original xbox forum here at AD is dead.A short video of the issue uploaded would go a long way as well if possible
    http://www.theisozone.com/

3. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Its a very easy fix, get the latest xbmc or use the most stable build that you have used in the past. FTP into the box using your softmod gamesave gamedisc. If you have xbmc as your main dash, remember not to erase your short cut. Delete the contents of the xbmc folder found on the xbox hard drive and transfer the fresh build. You will lose all of your settings upon doing so but it will work as it should. Many have xbmc as their main dash, others as a secondary dash booting from one of the many dashes like unleashx. I use my original xbox regularly and the xbmc files can become corrupted due improper shutdowns like a power outage or power plug pulls.

You can recover your box from any mistake as long as you do not delete the softmod and the gamesave exploit from the hard drive. The EEPROM is what you need to worry about, back that up on a disc or flashdrive. Once your hard drive dies, without that you wont be able to rebuild or make a factory image. 8 years a long time, hard drive issues are looming.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Angelina Franklin likes this.
  4. AnthonyJJ

AnthonyJJ Newbie

Hi there guys, so I have a soft modded original xbox. I was busy FTP-ing when I mistakenly deleted the Dashboard folder. When I went ahead and turned my xbox back on later on, it booted into the 'evox V+3985' screen. I only have two options from there;
    -Launch Disk and
    -System settings.

I CANT FTP into the xbox even with the correct ip address. I CAN play burnt disks. I've tried a lot of things including;
    -Running the Splinter cell xploit I used to load Ndure. I load the linux save and it freezes for AGES.
    -Running Mechassault just in case I'd tried using that xploit but there was no saved file there for linux.
    -Running the Slayer disk and reloading the ms Dashboard 5960.
    -Running a live XBOX game to 'rebuild' the dashboard.

So far I've had zero success getting back to where I was previously (with the UnleashX dashboard). Could anyone suggest what I should do? I can upload any photos of the xbox you guys would need. I apologise massively in advance, I know you guys are all super smart at what you do and that noobs like myself probably shouldnt be allowed to touch some things like this...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Go to my first post & use the link provided .You will get the help you need there.Copy paste what you have written in your post & relay it over at RZ..Before you post look for any tuts or other posts that show you how to repair as they are there.. If you can still play bunrn't discs the exploit is still there & you most likely need to plonk the new dash on C & do so in the correct order.Ok just remembered the hexen disc maybe able to get you back someone there will have it..

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Forgot to mention before doing anything else be sure to copy contents of E to a hard drive or some other sort of backup place

7. AnthonyJJ

AnthonyJJ Newbie

Thanks a lot for your help scorpNZ, I have finally managed to track down a HeXen copy so I'll give that a shot on Sunday and see how I go! If that doesnt work, link thread it is.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Before writing anything to the hdd you need to backup E & especially the eeprom .Read the tuts & threads carefully before proceeding to replace files ,you can also backup E & you better do c as well to another partition like f as a secondary backup option a well a an external .So long as you don't try to redistribute disc space regardless of what files or action you take with C & E the F partition will always be there s will any data .Whatever you do do not play with partition sizes

Hexen if it boots or AID has ftp options for transfer .Once you get the xbox back up & running as it should backup C & E to pc then upload those files to a free hosting site like mega .This way if any hard drive fails with those backups you will always have a copy

9. AnthonyJJ

AnthonyJJ Newbie

Hey scorpNZ, just wanted to send out a thank you and an update. I went ahead and managed to run HeXen and that worked wonderfully. I basically reinstalled UnleashX and found that I had deleted the xbe from the dashboard folder by mistake...the config.ini file was still there so I presume it just defaulted to the screen I had before which only had two options. Feels great having it all back the way it was. If I were looking to make a Backup DVD as recommended, what files would need to be on there? What I mean is if I were to FTP into the xbox directory and copy,say, the 'E' drive to my computer and then burn that to a disk, would that work? Or is it a lot more complicated than that?

Thanks again!

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

That would work fine tho you don't actually need to copy every single file if i'm not mistaken .However i don't use softmod xbox's so am unfamiliar with which files exactly need copying hence i mention copy all & that includes C (you need all files on C) .RZ will have all the info you need .Good to hear it worked .Whatever backup method used you will need two or more ,relying on 1 backup is not advisable , so long as you leave C & E alone there won't be any more problems