1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p2p security??

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Dela, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Yep you do need peerguardian as zonealarm wouldnt have a list of ips to block!

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

QUESTION: Why the hell, is the RIAA corrupting our songs?! If they are sharing corrupting songs using the P2P network, doesn't that mean we're liable to sue them? Yes it does!!! So I think some wicked lawyer realises this is their road to fame and sue them! I will be backing you lawyer!

3. Dela

Not really liable to sue them no, because on a p2p network, you dont really ever know the quality of the file you are going to get! :)

4. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Have you been getting any corrupt songs?

5. Dela

I havent been downloading songs dude!

6. yeababy

yeababy Member

is earth station 5 as good as blocking as they state

7. Maphisto

Maphisto Member

Actually the reason he isn't seeing any ip's blocked is because he is running zone alarm which will block all Ip's that try to send information to your computer if there isn't a program telling zone alarm that it is waiting for data from that Ip address.

However The ip blocker program would be good for p2p programs that might allow RIAA to access your computer by sending you a bad file. Not really sure how all the RIAA tricks work, havn't heard much about them yet.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2003
  8. Dela

The just simply download a song and take the ip address they got it from and make rediculous claims about how much money this user has cost them!

9. Powa

Powa Regular member

Just as a heads up, don't download anything related to Black Cat MP3 Protector, its a trojan dropper which puts a trojan in your internet explorer folder. Probably made by the RIAA.

I tried the program, and then a week or so later I noticed some strange stuff going on, and found tskmgr32.exe trying to connect to the internet, so I submitted that to Symantec, and now 2weeks later they've updated their virus definitions to combat it.

10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Hehe interesting head's up Powa! :)

11. anonxsurf

anonxsurf Member

You can solve all of this without having to install any software on your computer.....

AnonX gives you privacy on the Web by masking your network identity through our Anonymous Proxy Service.

Supported Software: Explorer, Netscape, Kazaa, Morpheus, Freenet, Emule, Gnutella, Imesh, Shareaza, BitTorrent, Limewire, Trillian, AIM, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, IRC, WSFTP, CuteFTP, Windows Media Player and Real Player

visit http:http://www.anonx.com]Anonx

12. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

errr... IRC isnt a program.

13. Dela

Do you have to use your own proxy list?? If so, good luck on finding a good Socks5 proxy cause without one, ur not gonna get good results!

14. anonxsurf

anonxsurf Member

i've been using it myself and haven't had any problems with speed or anything of that nature. it mask my host and ip address.

15. Dela

Ok so, so how much is it? + average speed? + do they promise they wont supply your information if they are subpeona'd??

16. hectar

hectar Guest

Who's the RIAA?

...Royal Institute of Anal Artificers?

Also, as well, too even, when software on a computer "phone's home, it is not getting the bill payers' permission and therefore strictly speaking you could claim the price of the call from the deviant software company, non?

Ol Hectar

17. tdkyo

tdkyo Guest

Just to let you know, IP blocking and "anonomous proxy" techniques are useless. Yes I said useless. Reason?
    For IP blocking, RIAA isn't that stupid enough to reveal their IP addresses to public. Heck, they aren't the ones who are scanning the net! Do you think a company employee which scans for p2p users reveal their own IP address? Nah, in fact, what they might do is post bogus IP addresses claiming it's the RIAA PEOPLE scanning your computer! Anyway, the IP addresses are not valid. Don't argue. No proof was shown.
    For Annomous Proxy, let me tell you that this is a waste of your time. Hmmm, a public anamous proxy first of all would be bogged down by P2P users which makes the server slow. Second, there are speculations that even the RIAA or the MPAA might be hosting their own proxy servers for innocent p2p users to use, they will get the who activities of the p2p users.

My choice? There is no perfect security in p2p world. It might take a thousand years, but people can crack any type of encryptions in an unlimited amounts of time. Your best bet is using freenet or WASTE which uses heavy encryption transmission for every transfer of files and protocals. I also recommand using private small DC++ network which keeps strict on who can join the network. Because of the strict rule, RIAA or MPAA might have a hardtime getting in.

18. anonxsurf

anonxsurf Member

Well for starters, I'm not with RIAA or what ever the hell their initials are. The only thing I have done is built the website for www.anonx.com of which I was using the service during their testing phases. TDKYO mentions that once a lot of users get on the proxy it slows down, due to disclosures and patent pending technology, I cant say how, but they have found a way for this to work. Another person ask if they capture cc information. Since they are using paypal, they are not capturing any personal information on their servers. The only thing on their servers is user name, login and whether the account is active or not.

I'm just speaking from the testing that we did on the server and with a 100MB connection at 70% capacity, the servers didn't even nudge.

19. Dela

IP addresses are easily got. Remember you can whois any ip address on the net. Also the RIAA couldnt just sign up to an average ISP and do that because they would be breaking the privacy rules the ISP set out! Also dont forget about the servers on eMule and other places who monitor what the users get up to and can easily spot odd things!!

I wouldnt be a proxy guy either, especially not public anonymous proxies!

20. Wizz

Wizz Member

Hi iv'e installed peer gaurdian .10...but its showing CP usage as 90% and above....this makes it unusable....is anyone else getting this???