1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p2p security??

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Dela, Jun 28, 2003.

1. ANX1234

ANX1234 Member

Hey, I use AnonX and it works great. No loss of speed. If you don't believe then email the techsupport@anonx.com and have them set you up with a free trail. That's what convienced me.

PS. AnonX does everything they claim. It kick butt.

2. Carpefile

Carpefile Member

The new version of es5 due to be released employs a new protocol called "pxp" which will allow your computer to spoof ip addresses. You'll be able to appear to be anyone, like the whitehouse or even the riaa. Won't need to use proxies anymore. I see that you have edited your starting post to say es5 is not to be trusted. What made you change your mind?

3. ANX1234

ANX1234 Member

Spoofing does not work. Your ISP still know who you are and spoofing will cause alot of failed packets with any router built in the last three years. Spoofing was great 10 years ago it is not effective today.

4. Carpefile

Carpefile Member

Doesn't your isp have to know who you are to provide you with their service? Are you saying with the proxy service you are promoting your isp doesn't know who you are? Btw, spoofing is ineffective with any router that uses nat, as it simply translates your ip to the one assigned by your isp.

5. Wizz

Wizz Member

I think the writing's on the wall lads,it's getting pretty grim for P2P.What suprises me these days is how many nasty folks working for "The Industry" are actually attacking downloaders computers withe ICMP flooding or Syn attacks etc....+ all manner of trogens hidden away in them free files that they release themselves

No kidding some guy somewhere literally attacked my computer for weeks....I'd only used emule to upload a pic of my lovely wife in the noddy :)....sheesh.
    {edit)OK she was holding 13 new mp3's by Atomic Kitten in her hand...:)

Be careful out there!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  6. markusk

markusk Regular member

I have a feeling that in the near future those massive communities which are available for everyone will disappear and private communities for smaller amounts of people will form up. This is mainly due to the fact that the people who have a lot to lose (hub hosters, big sharers) aren't overly interested in getting sued/jailed/fined. I see a big demand for secure p2p where all traffic is encoded.

7. ANX1234

ANX1234 Member

Spoofing does not work because their is a random id associated with each packet that associates that packet back to you. If you try to spoof an address it will not bet sent back to you because the id does not match. In the past the id's were auto-incremmenting and you could guess with a 80% or better success rate, but now with random id's it is net to impossible.

With AnonX your ISP still knows who you are, but the packets from the AnonX servers are encrypted and look like a VPN style packet. In other words it looks like you are working from home NOT sharing p2p traffic. YOUR ISP CANNOT TELL WHAT YOU ARE SENDING/RECIEVING. It is the perfect solution.

8. Carpefile

Carpefile Member

This is pure spam. Buy a banner ad. :-#

9. ANX1234

ANX1234 Member

Spam NOT.

Look I have been using AnonX for a while, and the only compliant that I have is the following:

I get a yellow light most of the time when connected to BT. I can still download at 100KB/s which is close to what I get when I don't use AnonX.

If you want to put something usefull on this thread tell me how to make the yellow light go green.

10. Carpefile

Carpefile Member

Alright, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but it reads like ad copy to me.
    Can't offer you any help with yer BT problem, as I use a p2p that includes verified ssl anonymous proxies as part of the FREE service it offers (at d/l speeds peaking over 300k). So that's all I use, ever. I don't want to get in a pissing contest with ya, so I'll just say I use what works for me and you use what works for you. Then we can still be cordial. K, I won't bug ya anymore.

11. ANX1234

ANX1234 Member

Thanks, cordial it is.

I use many p2p and the whole RIAA thing this last year has me concern. Any product (AnonX,....) that makes life difficult for Big Brother is okay by me. I am just trying to get the most out of it.

12. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

I downloaded the newest version of Peerguardian, and it slows down games when it's in use (warcraft 3 for example). Anybody else run into this problem?

13. cleft

cleft Member

Having used PG since it came out, I can tell you that it has improved. CPU load has dropped with the more recent versions as it was a complaint that has been made by many of the users of the program. Using PG in normal mode as oppossed to aggressive mode does reduce your cpu load quite a bit.

Nothing is 100% safe. If something new is developed bet your booties someone esle is looking for a way around it. That having been said, still PG is a better solution than going without it. But also get a firewall. There is a list in the PG download site for those that have firewalls to add the list to their firewalls and not have to use PG and the additional load it puts on the cpu. However it is not user friendly and in my case would consume more time than I am willing to spend to manually enter the ranges in the firewall. I can not copy and paste those ranges to my particular firewall. But this is an answer to those that are worried of excessive cpu usage.

The other reason for running a firewall, is that you get warnings when someone is out looking that they are attempting to connect to you. Stay away from the freebee of zonealarm, it isn't worth installing on your computer as it is not configurable to any degree, that is the hook to get you to buy the program. The paid for version does allow for configuration. A better solution is to go to http://www.kerio.com and d/l a free firewall that is fully functional. There are many other good firewalls out there, just as effective. My experiences have led me to this one as it is easy to use.

Best of luck with your ip blocking and may all your attempts be sucessful.

14. ANX1234

ANX1234 Member

Some of you are concern about RIAA, MPAA, or another watchdog group; well there are simple steps you can take to protect yourself and continue to share. Here are some of the precautions that I take.

Some programs like Shareaza & Kazaa Lite allow others to see everything that your sharing, but also allow you to turn it off (the directions for doing this will vary from program to program), turning this option off will stop p2p enemies from getting you on mutiable counts of copyright infringement, it may piss off some who see this as not sharing but it by far becoming more common and is the default option for programs like kazza lite (K+++)

Blocking p2p enemies ips while this is not an exact art people who do this have reported a huge decrease in emails from p2p enemies and it's not that hard to do,
    There are a couple of ways of doing this.

The first way of doing this is to install a program called peerguardian which you can get from http://www.peerguardian.net once installed, update the IP Address list and run while operating p2p programs.
    This will block IP Address ranges of p2p enemies.
    ----AS DISCUSSED IN OTHER THREADS: PG PHILOSPHY IS BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY AND THEY TURN OFF TOO MUCH.

The second way and recommended way is to block the ip’s in p2p programs or firewalls, kazaa lite itself has a built in updater, others like Shareaza, Emule or firewalls like Kerio, Nortons and Zonealarm require you to import the list in there own formats, this is were http://www.bluetack.co.uk comes in, this site helps you to convert ip ranges to the required format,
    The easiest way I find is to convert the peer guardian plain text list or the GUARDING.P2P file (open with notepad) which are from the peerguardian site,
    Then using the Blue tack converter http://www.bluetack.co.uk/convert.html convert it to the required format, then by following the instructions for your program FAQ's at
    http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=14 you should be able to block them from connecting to you, please note that using these lists in firewalls may block unintended websites and it's better to put the block lists in p2p programs only.
    This site also supplies a shareaza security block list but this does not block p2p enemies like the RIAA.

Using a payed VPN (Virtual private network) service http://www.anonx.com,
    This basically creates a VPN between you and Annox servers which means for basic users is the installation of a simple small program, claims made by them include, 1500k of bandwidth is allocated to each customer and that all sorts of protocols like p2p bittorent ect can be used , that nothing is logged and that p2p enemies cant contact them as the servers are located in countries friendly to the company e.g. don’t care about p2p file transfers also the ip's and companies are registered off shore of the US, at
    $US 5.95(pay though pay pal) it seems cheap for peace of mind, reviews of this service all over the place just search google.

The future now, while all the methods described are useful they are only temporary, the creation of third and forth generation p2p programs are the way to go, these operate in completely different ways from traditional p2p programs and provide near total privacy, don’t think these are far away either http://mute-net.sourceforge.net/ has already developed an alpha version and http://www.thebighack.org/ which is expected to release a version sometime next year, read about the concept at http://www.thebighack.org/modules.p...=viewtopic&t=10 ,
    Even es5(earth station) is supposly releasing a proxy less protocol but this has been promised for so long and there history(spam, blatant hype and attacks on the p2p community) is not likely to garner trust but if it works good luck.

Please note I thought of including tunneling proxy programs but as this process is difficult; finding proxies, the slow speed of most, honey pots (set by the FBI ect) and lack security e.g. what the proxies logging ect

I thought best to leave it out...

--I hope this helps...

15. Carpefile

Carpefile Member

Its out, and it works, unless you are using a NAT router. :)

16. BozUriel

BozUriel Guest

Security is simply not something you can apply to p2p unless you belong to a private hub of peeps you know and trust and even then I've seen hubs with peeps that disappear only to come back and suddenly not have the same personality they used to have.

If you share with people you don't know, then you are sharing with these watchdog groups. Make no mistake about it. The only sure way to stay clean is not to share via p2p.

17. ceja_11

ceja_11 Regular member

does any one block their udp?

18. ghostship

ghostship Guest

surly if a song is corrupt, eMule will pick this up and load it from another client,

Any way, if i was to put the filter list in to my firewall filter list would that work

19. Wizz

Wizz Member

If you block UDP most file share clients will not work.

They use UDP for searches and handshaking etc....bad move.

The best IP blocker around is Protowall,but it's XP only.It runs as its own service driver (extremely low level) and blocks packets BEFORE your firewall even see's them....with no CPU activity.It can carry thousands more Ip addresses than any firewall on the market and is very efficient.

It nocks spots off peergaurdian for smoothness.

I suppose the best way to stay anon is a proxy or nat router....but why give a toss?....millions of people are sharing everyday,do you think the RIAA or whatever are going to stop it?...lol

YOU have a RIGHT to share whatever with anybody whether it be your neighbour or someone across the continent....this bunch of Phoney cocksuckers arent going to stop it. PERIOD.

They will all fall on their arses in the end.

20. ghostship

ghostship Guest

I agree, till its happens then i will worry