1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p2p security??

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Dela, Jun 28, 2003.

1. ghostship

ghostship Guest

I have taken [bold]Delas[/bold] a Advice form the start of this thread, about loading the IPFiler list into eMule.
    http://www.atheistdictionary.com/ipfilter/ipfilter.dat

that was sunday, 4 days ago, since then i have had 5000+ hits from the (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) and 1000+ from (MediaDefender[P2P fakes/spam/monitoring) and many others, but these to standout the most.

who are these guys, are they the good guys or the bad, and should they be blocked,

before i install the IPfilter i had notidea, these sites were even about, and I could sleep at nites, but now I am felling a bit uneasy, and wondering if I should be running a P2P program

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

ghostship I agree its only cydoor who hit Me and they hit Me over 1000 times a day also ........they once hit Me over 4000 times as soon as peerguardian was put on the odd thing was no p2p programs were running at the time

I have also been getting udp overload last few days what ever that means .....

what is protowall any more thoughts afore I plunge n possibly install it onto My pc??

DaOsT

3. ghostship

ghostship Guest

heres a link to protowall

http://bluetack.co.uk/pw.html

explains what is and does,and a download

basically its another PeerGuardian, with have downloaded myself, and was not that impressed with, as fellow software writer myself,

4. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

cheers ghostship:)
    will check that out now

5. Daskins

Daskins Regular member

is protowall better than peerguardian? can i use both lol

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Hello again :)

I havent been around much to update anything! I'm sorry about that! It's cool to see that a lot of people actually take interest in their Privacy online :) It's a sad world when we hyave to install things or change settings to make sure some idiots arent trying anything!

PeerGuardian has definately improved. Of course it cannot be taken as a 100% defense against anti-p2p as it is publically displaying the IP's it blocks! However, it has slowed down progress of many of the organisations involved, even though they'll probably never admit it!

On another note, I really do think that we're in need of a P2P network or something that completely bans out these organisations from joining! I think every wannabe member should have to give some proof that he/she is not affiliated with these groups before they are given access to the network! I cant understand why P2P united dont take the RIAA to court with the complaint that they are illegally entering their private servers and charge them for it! A court only fairly would have to ban them from using the networks, its like trespassing on land! it just cant be done!

Anyways, ill update the main post a bit soon when i check out a few more things :) take care all!

7. m3th0d

m3th0d Member

Just posting this as you've mentioned PeerGuardian. ;)

We're currently in beta-testing on PeerGuardian 2...

(it does UDP and all other protocols, works at kernel-level with near-0%-CPU. It also doesn't require you to install drivers, etc. and so far.. seems to work on 64-bit platforms too. - it's also being released under the MIT open-source license giving users more freedom than the standard GPL open-source license!)

We've also got a version for Linux (open-source) and we're in development of a version for Mac.

A lot of BitTorrent sites are now using the PGIPDB and Bluetack-IPDB lists (particularly those using ratios) to block out undesirables from their trackers. ;)

If anyone has any suggestions/ideas, new IPs/ranges to report, etc... feel free to visit our forums (http://methlabs.org/forums)

With IP/range reports.. It's also helpful to post a note to http://bluetack.co.uk/ too so they can update their lists as well.

Latest official PG blocklists can be found at http://methlabs.org/sync.

Thanks for all the support.

Peace!!

8. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

0% CPU usage sounds great :) I remember the first versions of Peerguardian, asthe blocklist grew the resource higging grew. There was a stage when I was getting about 10,000 blocks a day and decided, hmm, maybe i shudnt use P2P lol

9. BigWorld

BigWorld Guest

Listen, instead of blocking IP addresses one by one from a list, trying to avoid a connection - and slowing down your computer/internet - just [bold]clean your system[/bold]...

I use Kazaa, and when you install that, it adds it's own hidden spy software (Spyware) which is just the type of thing to allow a connection both from and to your computer.

I also use No Adware (http://NoAdware.911Free.com)to keep my system clean. You can [bold]check your computer[/bold] free for adware, spyware, trojans and worms.

Made my computer much faster .. and I don't even use kazaa much.

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

And you don't use your brain much do you?

Hey mods, run a search on this idiots nick and check out all the wonderful advice he's giving.

11. imagin

imagin Member

hello everyone, this is my first post here in this forum. i've been using bittorrent for a while now and i go to suprnova.org to get my torrents. well i just found out that everytime i log onto the website 2 popups occur which are blocked by my browser. the second popup ( i don't know how) contained a trojan. i easily cleaned that out but it is kind of pain in the ( }o{ ) to keep doing. well, i read someones post about preventing the connection in the first place, and cleaning your computer out of these things sounds like a good idea.

12. pero

pero Member

I just want to ask some thing. I`m so sleepy so I read about two thirds od all this so I will ask and don`t be angry if the question is allready written.

How is with P2P and downloading movies. I must say that I`m using peer guradian, personal firewall and firewall on my router, but some days ago, I received mail. They just some kink send warrning that I have downloaded movie and thats not legal. Is any way to protect computer beter or what? And I must say, they wrote that I have downloaded the movie using eMule-->not true, wrong user name used, mail sent on one of the e-mails not of my network provider... When I start eMule in just a few moments the first try ob BSA happend and peer guardian blocked. But I am not king a scared if they can do anything.

Just tell your opinion please.

13. pero

pero Member

Wednesday 15.9.2004 / 18:01 EST

I have to say something about this, even it is offtopic. At the moment here the time is 00.00, so don`t smile, why I`m sleepy.

At this moment is the 16.9.2004 :)

14. Blackage

Blackage Guest

Does any of this block your IP while you're on BT? I mean if you ever view detials there's just a buncha IPS on there, you could take a freakin list!

15. [OP]Hawk

[OP]Hawk Member

You can also use anonym. SOCK5 proxies to hidden you true identity... IP trace to South-Korea or China.... RIAA go for it! and start posting emails abuses to there, lol
    It´s also possible to made proxy chains so you are behind lot of proxies that are around the globe those connects to others etc. but it is too slow for p2p usage unless you have access to dedicated 100/100 Mbps or 10/10 Mbps high anonymity proxies that usually have accounts.

I have downloaded 100-150 KB/s from direct connect by using high anonymity & fast SOCK5 proxy that was located in China, lol

16. Carpefile

Carpefile Member

You could also(and IMHO should) try ANts. Its anon and encrypted, making it the closest thing to foolproof protection there is.

17. dzindzin

dzindzin Member

there is a way to share files without fear on any network. here is what you have to do:

1 zip (rar or do some other compression to a file)
    2 protect compressed file with password.
    3 rename *zip , *rar or other compression format file you just made to something stupid- *me, *bu, *pir or whatsoever
    4 make a file name unattractive, for example:
    hnejghwreooif4njhfe5

5 for extra security slice file into 2 parts- one very small, just a few kilobytes or megabytes. -
    in that way it will be not readable by any program as long as you don't have a missing file part.

benefits of this?

well you won't get any letters from RIAA or MPAA, you will not get sued, you can share such files ON ANY NETWORK! i mean file sharing is legal so far , is it? as long as you not infringe with coopyright:). well in order to prove othervise they will have to hook to something- file name won't work, if they will download file, they will not be able to see what is it. so GOOD LUCK FOR THEM!:)

well there is only disadvantage- users loose search function... you are not able to search for some files you want...

--------
    rule of thumb-

RIAA and MPAA is after big networks. I downloaded tons of stuff on edonkey network. but only recently got 2 MPAA sh**** letters. WHY? it is because kazaa was destroyed, edonkey network is in first place by user number and file amount.

I doubt if RIAA and MPAA will go after lets say XXYY network and software, as long as it will be not based on existing networks- like edonkey, fastrack or something well known.

antip2p filters don't work. might be they help a litlllllle bit, but doesn't protect at least 50%.

i doubt if someone in RIAA will use official RIAA ip. they can setup a tracking from any computer, with any ip... i don't think they so stupid.

18. pero

pero Member

To rename file and so on, then it could be impossible to share or get that you want.

For now the best solution is to use Peer guardian but that is not 100%. You never know which IP RIAA is using, like you said.

When we will stop downloading we will be sure everything is ok and it is legal.

You get two emails? Uff. I got one but I wish I didn`t. My friends told me, they all get that kind of messages. This is one of the ways how to scare people to stop DL.

One thing I have to say by the way. Try to download only one or two movies at time and when you will get them, remove them from share. Share the less files as you can or just fake files.

19. Carpefile

Carpefile Member

Kinda sorta defeats the whole purpose of filesharing doesn't it? If people take your advice, then the RIAA/MPAA/BPI etc. have already won. End of p2p.

Maybe instead you could try an app/network that actually provides some protection to its users by encrypting the data transferred, hiding your identity, etc.

Admittedly most of these are not as easy to use as Kazaa, and the guis are not very flashy, but they are much safer than simply relying on peer guardian to block out the bad guys.

Check out apps like Waste,Zultrax, ANts, Mute. They all provide protection to their users, so you can actually Promote P2P by SHARING.

20. hairyfrog

hairyfrog Member

I DL stuff sometimes. I get a bit annoyed when the music/film/software industry announce in the press and media that they're going to take someone to court, or that they're clamping down, etc...

But, you should take into account these things when you get a bit shakey in the knees, and start sweating and worrying:

This is all in the scenario 'What if I'm taken to court..?'
    [bold]1.. When you go on P2P, you should keep dummy files:[/bold] You cannot get sued for a *.txt file that's been renamed to *.MP3

[bold]2.. When you've got it move it from your shared folder:[/bold] Move the file from your shares, & build a cr*ppy text file with some random words in it, rename to the same you've just DL'd & move to your shares , & make all sharing info the same as the original. Because, it's alright DLing the file, but the spooks have to proove that that is the file you have on your system (eg, what about hackers that route pathways through ppl's systems: it could be that someone has used your internet connection to get a file from somewhere else - that's not your fault. So, spookies have to proove you have their file on your system.) This is why you make dummies.

[bold]3.. If someone wants something from you:[/bold] Put it in your shares by all means - but only share with your mates. Only have a few items in there at one time, and make the majority cr*ppy text files renamed.

[bold]4.. You agree to allow ppl access to your SHARES:[/bold] This means that anyone has legal access to items in your shares(legal access, means you allow them to take a copy of what's in there... not, that what's in your shared folder is legal.) Now, you must remember that only your shares are accessable; anywhere else on your system is considered hacking as the spooks will have to use hacking methods to poke around outside your shares.

[bold]5.. In the event you are taken to court:[/bold] Ask them to prove that the file you downloaded was their file, and that it was opened and used. Also, ask them why they were sharing the file in the first place ("ah, but the file I DL'd wouldn't open" "I think it was damaged" "are you sure it was the one you were sharing?"). These companies are all ready to share the music, ready to intice ppl to DL their files, so that they can take them to court.

[bold]6.. But, they took an 8 year old girl to court:[/bold] And? Your point is? - The reason they took a youngster to court is that they can bully children & their parents easier than adults without their parents. I bet if you look at all the cases they've won, you'll find that the 'culprits' were threatened a bit and bullied into submission.

Basically, P2P sharing will always happen.

8D