Partitioning Hard Drive into 30GB

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by smg, May 29, 2003.

1. smg

smg Regular member

I just got an 80GB Harddrive (Western Digital) and since I am wondering about that same question that was asked (If burning dvds over and over on the same spot on your hard drive will damage or wear out that spot on theHDD?) If anyone knows, that would be very helpful. Also, is 30GB enough space to rip a 4 hour movie too. Is 20GB enough to rip a 4 hour movie too, then I could have my new HDD partitioned into 25GB partitions.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Mate relax!! lol, ripping dvd's to the comp should be fine and shouldnt wear your hardrive. A typical dvd wont go over 8 gigs usually!

3. smg

smg Regular member

Thank you Dela :)
    I must say, that it can get scarey when you are a newbie like myself.
    I also want to transfer all my vhs movies to dvd to. Can I assume that 20 GB is also more than enough for a 4 hour vhs movie to be ripped too?
    Its kinda funny, I get more laughs in here when asking serious questions than when I tell some of my jokes lol :)Thanks again Dela.

4. Dela

I cant answer on the question about ripping VHS to the computer because i dont really bother doing that lol!! All i know is that some capturing programs will only capture uncompressed avi. Do not touch those programs because you would need a few hundred gigs for a 4 hour movie lol! Have a look around some of the forums in here and im sure someone can help with that!

5. smg

smg Regular member

Thanks Dela. Well at least now I know 20GB is enough for a 4 hour dvd movie to be ripped too. I was completely lost about what you were saying about ripping uncompressed programs. I thought most if not all dvd movies were already uncompressed. But I am new so I don't know :)

6. Dela

Actually DVD's are under heavy compression lol!

7. smg

smg Regular member

oh that is interesting. So a dvd store bought movie is already compressed? Thanks Dela :)

8. Dela

Yep, very compressed!! lol