1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patching, rebuilding games, how do you do it? [Guide]

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ps2person, Jul 14, 2005.

1. ps2person

ps2person Guest

I am asking the same question everyone else is, and it seems that we arn't getting are questions answered, how do you patch or rebuild a game, and what are the difference? im sorry for being rude, its just that im frustrated with this process. the things i would like to know is:

1 what software do i need to use, that is free.
    2 the guide to PROPERLY backing up a hard to copy ps2 game.
    3 patch or rebuild,what is the difference?

i go to ps2nfo.com and the chaos theory patch is not downloading for me a get a page cant be displayed window, is it me or the site? is it a cookie issue?

Trust me i looked all day for a guide, and no luck for any of these pondering things.

2. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

bump^

come on guys, help this fella out.

3. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Ouch...hard to give you an answer for everything you want to know,but I can give you maybe a couple answers.

The programs to use normally I have to pay for them,but every once in awhile you can get a program that is free like DvdDecrypter.Apache2 is a good program that is free you can look for and it is off this site http://www.backuptools.co.uk .It will allow you to extract files from games and relink if needed.Sony Cd/Dvd Rom Generator,just google for this program and it will pop up.There are probably some more tools that I am leaving out,but that is only because they are not free or hard to use.

A guide to copy a hard to copy game,it would be really hard to give you an answer on this one bro.I honestly couldn't tell you,because each game is different in its own way.How it is made and the file types in the games.

The difference in a patch and rebuilding a game.Well a patch is normally fixing what is called dvd checks.Normally what happens is when you go to boot one of your games,the dvd check will cause the game to fail loading by telling the PS2 to check the game more than once.So patches are made to disable these dvd checks that can occur.When you rebuild a game,normally games are built in a ISO/UDF structure.If it is Dvd-5(single layer)you can most of the time rebuild the ISO section of the game if the UDF section is the same as the ISO section,but for Dvd-9(dual layer)games it is alot different though.Recently game companies that work for Sony have been making munge files on the newer games,this only deals with Dvd-9(dual layer)games.Well what they do is make two packages of the game that contain all the files inside of the game and put it on each layer of the disc.Inside each of the packages(munge files)contains alot of important information that is encrypted and hard to deal with.I have only seen a couple of games that have had this kind of setup,and they are really hard to deal with.The games are God of War,GT4 and GT3 has a structure kind of like GT4 also.This has just been happening recently though like I said,so watch out for these games.They are a bugger to mess with and time consuming.I still haven't figured out how to backup GT4 a full backup,but am going to keep working on that one whenever I get more time.

I have the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory patch if you need it,just send me a P.M. and I will hook you up ok.

4. ps2person

ps2person Guest

i have dvd decrypter and nero, but those programs by themself can't get chaos theory as an example to work, i heard of this other thread that you need three programs,"YOU MUST HAVE DVD Decrypter, CDVDGEN, AND ISOBUSTER INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER." if i get those programs will that make chaos theory work , and other programs or is that only for some games. How can you tell if you need to patch the game or rebuild it, i know if it doesnt work with dvd decrypter then you must patch it or rebuild it.

i got that quote from this thred, tell me if this is true:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/127255

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

IsoBuster is good to use for extracting files and getting a filelist of the layout to rebuild games,but it isn't a free tool.The CDVDGEN program mentioned in that thread is the Sony Cd/Dvd Rom Generator.As for patching I would say use ppf-o-matic and just select your iso or files that need to be patched and apply the patches or you can do it manually by command prompt using ppfomatic it is up to you.Just do this alright,use DvdDecrypter and build your iso file.Once you have your iso file on your computer,use a program called ppf-o-mattic I will send you this also if you need it,and then browse for your iso you made with DvdDecrypter for the file you want to patch.Then browse for the .ppf patch,I will send you this also for the game you are talking about alright Splinter Cell Chaos Theory right.Then where it says on the program apply patch,just click on it and it will patch your image for you.Then just burn it and plug it in and and it should work.This method is only for Splinter Chaos Theory,other games will have a different approach for applying patches.It depends on the games to be honest,alot of the games are different in there own way.Like files in the game an so forth like that might have to patched for a different game,it really depends on the game.

6. black_Ice

black_Ice Regular member

([bold]Note[/bold]: a Patching and Rebuilding are the same thing, you only need to do one of these to get your back-ups to work. Also note that a patch is an automated Rebuild. Id advice rebuilding manually for the experience, but if you get fustrated theres no harm in getting a patch)

This guide was created to help even a newbie successfully back up
    PS2 games.

[bold]Before continuing track down these tools, you will need them to
    continue.[/bold]

[bold]Hardware Required:[/bold]

DVD burner (believe it or not, it has been asked many times if you need one)
    Mod Chip or Swap Magic
    Blank DVD –R
    At least 20 gigs of free space.

[bold]Software required:[/bold]

DVD Decrypter
    Iso Buster
    cddvdgen
    Nero
    Apache 2

[bold]1)[/bold] Use DVD Decrypter to extract the iso from your hard-drive.

[bold]2)[/bold] Create a new folder, Extract all the data in the iso
    into this folder using isobuster.

[bold]3)[/bold] Open up cddvdgen, you want to create a new DVD
    project, the middle one. Drag over the new file you have created using
    Iso buster, making sure you place them back into the same order as
    they where in iso buster.

[bold]4)[/bold] When you finish this go to the Volume tab and input
    the follow data. Search though the folder you created with Iso buster
    and locate the File, SLUS or SLES, note down the file name and number,
    in the first box beside name, type the name you found, example (SLES)
    followed by the number, without the period. Example (54322). Fill in
    PLAYSTATION for producer, and the licence area is your area.

[bold]5)[/bold] Click the record button at the top right and save it
    to your C drive again. Name the file as f4.IML. You'll get 2 errors
    but just hit ok and the recording window will load. If you don't then
    you might be missing the wnaspi32.dll. Nero should have this if you
    need it.

[bold]6)[/bold] Go to file and export image to C drive (not a folder)
    and name it f4.LST

[bold]7)[/bold] Open up a dos prompt and go to your desktop, for most
    of you the command will be "cd desktop" remove the quotes. From here
    type "copy /b f4.000 + f4.001 + f4.002 + f4.003 f4.iso" and this
    combines your files. This also assumes you have a file named f4.003,
    if your files only go up to f4.002 don't add "+ f4.003", just put a
    space and f4.iso at the end. From here hit enter.

[bold]7.b)[/bold] Alternativly you can save some time by using apache
    instead, Open apache 2. Load f4.iml Create .iso

[bold]8)[/bold] Open up Nero burning rom and create a new UDF/ISO DVD
    (It's the last one in the list). Burn it at 4x speed.

[bold]9)[/bold] Enjoy your new backed up game…

[bold]If you're game won't boot! Read below[/bold]

It would be advised to scan through your folder after you have
    extracted the iso (in step 2) for dummy files.

[bold]Dummy Files:[/bold]
    Some games have dummy files in them. They are used to increase the
    size of the image and to copy-protect the game. Burning games with the
    dummy files left unchanged will result in a game that does not boot
    (using swap magic anyway). To remedy this annoyance follow these fun
    steps.

[bold]2)[/bold] Create a new text file. Open it and press the space
    bar, then close it. This creates a byte of data in the text file.

[bold]3)[/bold] Rename the text file you made to the exact same name
    as the dummy file in your folder. The dummy file will be called
    something like DUMMY.DAT, DUMMY.000, DUMMY.001 etc, GARBAGE.DAT. These
    files will always be in the main folder of the iso.

[bold]4)[/bold] Overwrite all those dummy files with the blank ones
    you've created. (Games generally only have 1 dummy file, but some have
    multiple dummy files)

[bold]Patch complete! Burn it at 4x.[/bold]

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the guy please feel
    free to comment, I will be re-writing it soon and adding pictures to
    make it easy to use.

And if anyone is stuck feel free to ask questions and ill try my best
    to help out

[bold]Created by black_ice[/bold]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  7. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

I'd say thats enough to make this a sticky :)

8. ps2person

ps2person Guest

ok so if you arn't good at step seven (a) you just skip to 7 (b)

"Alternativly you can save some time by using apache
    instead, Open apache 2. Load f4.iml Create .iso"

So saving time means I don't have to make those files, Apache 2 does it for me?

And my next question is i can do this with any game that needs to be patched, and it will work?

9. ps2person

ps2person Guest

see now black ice knows what he is talking about, i like the way he has this guide in this format. ill ask more questions when i try your guide.

THANKS A LOT BLACK ICE

10. ps2person

ps2person Guest

burn at 4x? now i hear this from everyone, "burn the slowest" now what is the burn speed that SHOULD be better i tried 4x and it worked fine, but i heard from somone at afterdawn that the new games will slow down and mess up if you burn at 4x. is this true?

thanks

11. ps2person

ps2person Guest

12. Prdo

Prdo Member

hey guys i need the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory patch.
    and i need someone to walk me through the process of getting the game to run. please let me know what software to use to get this game to run. i have al kinds of it installed on my computer.
    does the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory need to be in a ISO format or no?

13. need_for2

need_for2 Guest

i need some help to walk me threw how to burn mercenaries, im having trouble converting it to bin or somethin like that, what soft ware would i use to convert to bin?

14. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Actually patches and rebuilding are not the same thing to be honest which is wrong.Patching is normally modifying files inside the game,by changing the game information to make it boot better.You can't supply one guide for every game as I mentioned before,because each game is different so it depends on what game to be honest.I give black_Ice credit for helping out,but a patch and rebuilding are just different.I know this for a fact and experience,because I can honestly tell the difference from a patch and rebuilding.I make them every once in awhile,and just recently a new EAPatching program was released by ASA.

Actually you might want to edit this in your guide,because a patch is a modification inside certain files of games(normally Scus files or IOPRP images files)to relieve any dvd checks or to even change the disc type from Cd to Dvd or Dvd-9 to Dvd-5 or just dvd checks.

Sometimes patches have to be used,just from experience and it improves the games.It doesn't rebuild the game,but modifies the information in the files.Rebuilding as I mentioned is just splitting the ISO/UDF section to just the ISO section,only works for some games most of the time Dvd-5 games(games you can put on a 4.7Gig Dvd).You should always burn at the slowest speed possible,it just gives you better chances.If you burn faster it increases your chances of getting a bad burn.Apache2 is located on my first post on this site http://www.backuptools.co.uk ,the program is created by Sonix.Good luck,but I'm not willing to supply all the guides on all the different types of games and tell you why they are different in each way it would just take too long.If this was true then an emulator would run perfect for any PS2 game,but since each game is created different there is no possible way to make one guide that covers every game made for the PS2.The dummy file phenomenon is actually just a guess,Sony could have put them on the games for a reason but it is still undetermine so most of the time people will call them dummy files.I can actually say some files can be ripped out and make the games boot better or either ripped out and make it unoticed in games.I am unaware of what they are there for,they could be something important that is beyond my knowledge.I have a feeling they where used for when they make the games,probably for pressing issues.

15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

You asked the questions I just answered them as best as I could.I wasn't trying to make a guide,because each game has its own method for backing it up.I tried to tell you that a long time ago,each game is different so it depends on how you back them up.Try not to look at it in a bad way,that is just how it is.The only thing I really told you that probably looked like a guide was patching for Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.I know it isn't fancy,but that is how I patch my games.You just have to read the message or just edit it to where you can read it,if it doesn't look readable in your point of view then just fix it to where it is readable by copying and pasting it into a text or worddocument to your expectations.

16. ps2person

ps2person Guest

for a apache i must not have a correct program to open the file with , what is wrong?

it says it is a rar file and 948kb is this good ?

im just so confused i dont know what to do n e more
    first of all i thougth i had it because black ice helped me now there is l burna that is ssaying differently.

17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

If you use winrar or winzip you can extract the files inside those archives.You can find it off this site either one of the programs winrar or winzip http://www.downloads.com .Once you install the archive program you can extract the program from inside the winrar archive and use it.

18. black_Ice

black_Ice Regular member

Thanks for correcting me L-burna. I was unaware that a patch and a rebuild werenot the same, I have only used one patch before, and I have read countless time that a patch is an automated rebuilt, (perhaps it is sometimes.)

Anyway, thanks for clarifying that for me.

Sorry ive been idle, i was away for the weekend, if anyone is still having trouble feel free to pm me, or post a question.

19. ps2person

ps2person Guest

thank you l burna WinRAR seemed to work just fine for me. im going to be getting splinter cell soon , and ill see ifi need to repair it or rebuild it , or patch it, lol ;)

20. Mighty6

Mighty6 Member

im trying to Rebuild Dead To Rights 2 and it keeps saying "Not A Valid PS2 Disc" can anoyone help me please?

PS: Im Using Swap Magic 3.3 and theses media i use are the same as my other games so..