1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc and stand alone dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by rtrg, Jul 6, 2020.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have 2 HP elite 8000's running win7, both have WMP,a dvd burners, various third party audio and audio/video recording software including a screen recorder. what I lack is an external stand alone dvd recorder minus a built in hdd, until now that is. I found my old GO VIDEO and MAGNAVOX combo units today. both have a DVD RECORDER and VCR as one unit and both can copy in both directions. I even found my copy defeat boxes to copy from one machine to the other when needed. nether unit will allow the box to be connected between the two sections of one unit, hence the two unit copy approach.

it came to me that I could use the dvd recorder section to record from my desktop. this is what I have in mind---. currently I have both desktops connected to an A/V switch box then outputted to the tv using the composite connection. the use of 2 pc to tv boxes are used to output the VIDEO to the A/V switch. the AUDIO comes out of the line out directly. I use a multiple port "Y" for other simultaneous connections to to 2 small amps for external speakers and a headphone plus the connection to the switch. with the DVD RECORDER set to one of the composite line in's the desktop can record to the recorder as long as an audio and/or video signal is present on the desktop which could be anything. in theory I could record two unrelated signals on one disc by using 2 different browsers/websites simultaneously. though that is not what I have in mind. that takes care of the INPUT.

the OUTPUT is another issue. if I were to use yet another set of "Y's" and a second set of inputs, in this case HDMI, OR add anther A/V switch to yh one set of composites present then I could share the recorder output and the shared A/V box #1 as opposed to #2 connected to the one composite. A/V #2 box input 1 for A/V 31 tv connection and input #4 for rhe recorders connection to the tv. I know this sounds complicated but I cannot see any other way to do it. I would rather not bother with a HDMI cable and cable adapter if one even exits. the tv has one usb port but that is only for power not data. 3 HDMI ports, 2 "standard" oe ARC whatever that means.

will this set up work as expected? you might be wondering why I simply do not use a combination of hdd and dvd burner. the reason is simple. as a BABY BOOMER I am old school I like to stick to what I know. for me the quality of any disc created in any burner is good enough for me. I am not a gamer, I do not need or want the latest and greatest. I STILL use an open reel deck that is probably older than some of the members here! my 3 head cassette deck is also not a spring chicken either. one more thing while I got your attention, will the DVDs I create be playable in the desktop burner? one of the units I have use PLUS discs while the other use MINUS discs. I have a choice of either in both R and RW. I have always used RW because it can be erased like tape. the burner can accept all the common media. next how do I record my SCREEN recordings TO DVD using said internal burner. I can find them in windows explorer but I cannot figure out how to select one and play it and record it to DVD simultaneously or preferably minimize the screen while the recording is going on so I could open another browser and do something else. when I use the screen recorder for a long session I do it on my secondary so the primary is free. sorry this is so long but that is a bad habit of mine. as most of you know. any help welcome. it's too bad I cannot be too helpful to others. I am simply not that tech savvy.

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I don't have time to digest everything you said but if you want to use a DVD on any recorder/player manufactured prior to about 2004, you will need to use a "-" disc, be it R or RW.

What is the format of the screen recordings?

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

a choice of avi,wav, mpeg2 or 4 with 4 being the default. I made my connections on the secondary by adding an A/V switch with 4 ports. #1 used to listen to external amp/speakers, port 2 to send recorders output to primary A/V switch also with 4 ports, #1 to listen to primary amp/speakers, port #2 from secondary/recorder to go to the tv, port#4 to send secondary to tv, one at a time. the video is picked up from the pc to tv converter then to port#2 on both switches.. I hope this is not too confusing.

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

To open one of those files on your system, simply double click on it. Whatever software which is set to be the default for that format in Control Panel, Default Programs, should start and play it.

I "assume" you want to burn a disc, such as DVD-Video, which can be played in a standalone player. There's lots of software out there for burning that kind of disc (and other types) and you might even have the software already.

5. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

a normal tv won't use USB for power as an usb port is 5 volt & between 500 & 1000ma.

7. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

rtrg-

I wonder how you gotten along on this?

8. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I changed my mind. so many streaming sites to choose from. making physical media with the exception od ISO cds seems too old school even for me. this applies to tape, camcorders and the like.

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Okay. Thanks for responding. We were trying to address the equipment configuration problem. As noted, there's lots of software to record media to a DVD-Video, or other type, of disc.